“very nice stay”

Hotel Champ-de-Mars
Ranked #138 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 16 February 2014

took my girlfriend to old montreal for valentines day. hotel staff very friendly. nice atmosphere. restaurant on site. bathroom was a great size. room was a little small but served its purpose. great location as we were a 10 minute walk to our restaurant and food and activities were also within walking distance.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sheldon G

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stayed here alone and from out of town to attend a convention. It was a bit of work to book the room because there was no availability for the date of the convention and I had purchased through Groupon. Nevertheless, It was all worked out by hotel management. For the price, I was satisfied. I wasn't looking for luxury...just a place to rest my head. My room was clean and breakfast in the hotel was hearty! Staff was friendly and much character abounded the historic hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank AngelaKBrown
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This hotel is located right on the bicycle path that goes through Montreal and connects south along the Lachine canal, and east to the Parc Jean Drapeau. It is right in the Old Port section, so it is walkable also to many restaurants, brew-pubs, museums, etc. It is not a sparkling new impersonal chain hotel, but a family-run enterprise. No elevator (so, no handicap access), but it is only four floors so if you can climb stairs, you're OK. The rooms are small (though not as small as in some Japanese hotels I have stayed in), bathroom was brand-new and immaculately clean. My husband and I were in Montreal for a three- day vacation getaway and found the Champ de Mars very cozy, comfortable and welcoming. We also appreciated the off-season price (it is mid-January) and the fact that, though it was extremely cold outside, the room was nice and warm (with a thermostat that we could adjust to suit our preferences), and the water was beautifully hot. There are also some suites (which include kitchens), and we plan to return with our grandson in the coming months. The restaurant offers meals (nice quality though not fancy) and coffee, hot chocolate etc. whenever you want.
(My husband had stayed at the Champ de Mars on his own last summer - found it because of its proximity to the bike path - had a good experience, and was glad to return. )

Room Tip: If you don't want to climb too many stairs, just stay on the first floor (one flight up from the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carolyn S
Reviewed 9 January 2014

While planning a trip to Paris and a stay at the LOVELY Hotel du Champs De Mars in Paris, France, my family member accidentally (and unbelievably) booked at this hotel in Montreal of the same name. he realized her error IMMEDIATELY, but they would not refund her. They insisted on offering an unwanted "credit." She contacted them less than 5 minutes after the booking, but the owner had her on a technicality and refused the refund. She didn't cost him another booking and it would have been no burden to be reasonable and kind and refund her. Now they either had to eat the cost of the room OR plan a trip to Montreal within one year to stay at the hotel owned by someone who'd rather earn a few bucks on a technicality than show some good will. When her husband phoned them, they were rude to him. Lousy way to do business and a lousy attitude. I will never give this establishment a cent of my money.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Denise M
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Hello fellow travelers
For various reasons I had to stay at the Champ de Mars hotel in Montreal last week. Rooms are miniscule, bedding looks and feels like haven't been laundered, countless stairs (stayed on 3rd floor); after changes to my itinerary I informed the proprietor 30 hours in advance that I will have to cancel - already booked - last day. He repeatedly REFUSED to refund the fee!!! giving instead "credit" useable within a year. What a scam! knowing full well that I would not return. DO NOT STAY - NOT WORTH IT.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Jan N
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Bedbugs. Totally unacceptable. Saw them crawling on the bed before we even unpacked our bags. Owner said we could leave (it is a free country, he said) but he would not/could not return our money even though we did not stay there and had paid for a three night stay. It was late evening and even though we had nowhere to go, we left. If this were the US, I would have reported him to the BBB, but felt I had no recourse. Booking.com did not help at all. They are not interested in the quality of the hotels they offer - you're on your own. Just a warning. This was a huge lesson - never pay in advance! Just to remind you again - bedbugs!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan W
Adam Y, Director of Sales at Hotel Champ-de-Mars, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

After these particular guests had checked into our hotel at around dinner time, they came back down to reception and reported an issue with bedbugs in their room. Our receptionist was surprised by this complaint, but told the manager straight away. Our manager went up to meet with the guests, who then showed him a Kleenex with a bug inside that was apparently supposed to be a bedbug.

We offered the guests another room for compensation, which they agreed to take.
Later that night, after coming back from a restaurant in Old Port, our guests asked the receptionist for a refund. It is stated in our hotel policy that no refunds are available upon cancellation of a room. We told them they are welcome to check-out if unsatisfied. They had also apparently called booking.com, who told them the same thing we did.
For safe measure, our manager closed off the room, and in the morning, it was inspected by highly qualified exterminators. After a full sweep of the room, they reported back that they did not find any bedbugs. We did ask them, however, to treat the entire room, which meant we had to keep it closed for another 24 hours.

Our hotel is very busy year round, which allows us to supply our guests with promotional rates, a rate that these particular clients had received. Our hotel rooms are full almost every night, and we take extreme pride in our cleaning and laundry services. We have a team of housekeepers who work very hard daily in order to make sure our rooms are perfectly clean and presentable.
We are located in one of the most beautiful parts of Montreal, and we host on average 20,000 guests annually, thus we cannot afford to risk having bedbugs in our hotel.

What this client claims is not only an insult to us and our hardworking employees, but to our valued guests who continue to enjoy their stay at our hotel.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Made my reservation here due to a recommendation by the Quebec Tourism group. I made the most of this stay however I would not stay here again for the following reasons.
The room was unusually cramped (yes, I have stayed in tiny rooms in Europe but this room had 12 inches to pass one of the beds!)
The room smelled old and stale as very little air seemed to be circulating.
The bathroom was questionable as to cleanliness so neither my mom nor I took a shower.
The twin bed I slept in was uneven and I spent most of the night trying not to fall out of it.
There were no clocks or phones in the room at all.
The TV and the remote was broken in our room.
The front desk staff was less than helpful and quite brusk.
The area around the hotel is very dark at night and there was glass on the ground in parking areas showing evidence of the common smash and grab criminals.
Enough said.