“Beware”

Hotel Champ-de-Mars
Ranked #139 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I booked and paid through Orbitz when we arrived they could not find the booking.
After we departed they charged my credit card for a third person - my son who was staying with his sister in Montreal and was driving the car (as there in no parking at this hotel). They noticed him helping us leave the hotel and decided to charge without even mentioning this at check out?

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Pantelis K

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband did a spur of a moment type thing and drove all the way to montreal from toronto (we were at a medical symposium) just to see what's so different on the french side of the country. I booked this place bc it was so cheap and it's in old montreal, which I heard was a must see area. My room is a replica of a college dorm. It's very quaint, clean, and served it purpose. Close walkin distance to everywhere in old montreal. Got an awsome view of the town and the staffs are friendly.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Holly T
Reviewed 25 April 2014

If you want a cheap place to stay in Old Montreal and don't intend to spend much time in your hotel room, you can't go far wrong with this. The rooms are small, in need of some care and attention and lacking in facilities...but you can't expect much more for the price. The staff are friendly and helpful. Although we didn't use the restaurant as we were too late for breakfast it looked nice and offered a good range of options. The location is good for the old town, but the surrounding streets were quite lonely at night. In retrospect I would have rather stayed downtown, paid a bit more for a nicer hotel, and just visited the old town - it's pretty but there's not much to do.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ElizabethdeBroise
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I just wanted a cheap, basic hotel room to spend a night. I took advantage of a teambuy offer (like groupon) offer, and wasn't expecting much. The room was TINY, with barely enough room to walk around the bed. There was a small console to hold the phone, and a tiny hospital tv close to the ceiling. I wasn't there to watch TV, but its presence seemed like a joke. The size of the tv was something like 12". The bathroom was small, no tub, and worst of all HAD NO HOT WATER! I went down to have my free continental breakfast at the attached cafe in the morning, with cheap breakfast sausages and scrambled eggs that were more like an aborted omelet. I was ready to pay my $3 tax and/or service fee for breakfast, but the cafe didn't have change for a twenty! Neither did the hotel manager. A joke, indeed.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karen S
Reviewed 16 February 2014

took my girlfriend to old montreal for valentines day. hotel staff very friendly. nice atmosphere. restaurant on site. bathroom was a great size. room was a little small but served its purpose. great location as we were a 10 minute walk to our restaurant and food and activities were also within walking distance.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sheldon G
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stayed here alone and from out of town to attend a convention. It was a bit of work to book the room because there was no availability for the date of the convention and I had purchased through Groupon. Nevertheless, It was all worked out by hotel management. For the price, I was satisfied. I wasn't looking for luxury...just a place to rest my head. My room was clean and breakfast in the hotel was hearty! Staff was friendly and much character abounded the historic hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank AngelaKBrown
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This hotel is located right on the bicycle path that goes through Montreal and connects south along the Lachine canal, and east to the Parc Jean Drapeau. It is right in the Old Port section, so it is walkable also to many restaurants, brew-pubs, museums, etc. It is not a sparkling new impersonal chain hotel, but a family-run enterprise. No elevator (so, no handicap access), but it is only four floors so if you can climb stairs, you're OK. The rooms are small (though not as small as in some Japanese hotels I have stayed in), bathroom was brand-new and immaculately clean. My husband and I were in Montreal for a three- day vacation getaway and found the Champ de Mars very cozy, comfortable and welcoming. We also appreciated the off-season price (it is mid-January) and the fact that, though it was extremely cold outside, the room was nice and warm (with a thermostat that we could adjust to suit our preferences), and the water was beautifully hot. There are also some suites (which include kitchens), and we plan to return with our grandson in the coming months. The restaurant offers meals (nice quality though not fancy) and coffee, hot chocolate etc. whenever you want.
(My husband had stayed at the Champ de Mars on his own last summer - found it because of its proximity to the bike path - had a good experience, and was glad to return. )

Room Tip: If you don't want to climb too many stairs, just stay on the first floor (one flight up from the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple