“don't stay here...”
Review of Hotel de L'Elysee

Hotel de L'Elysee
Ranked #148 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 29 August 2006

This was the worst experience I've had at any hotel.
the rooms are really dirty and miserable for the price you pay.this place is not recommended.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank nabeth

Reviewed 24 August 2006

I chose this place for a one night stay for my wife and I during our July 2005 vacation to Canada because of its location and price. The place appeared to be in the middle of renovation. Or rather, it appeared that our room had been recently renovated but the common areas still needed a lot of work.

On the plus side: convenient location for tourist activities and the price was very reasonable.

We hope to visit Montreal again but we will look for another place to stay, with the realization that it will likely cost substantially more.

• Stayed: July 2005, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joan&mike
Reviewed 22 August 2006

This is the sleaziest hotel I've ever stayed in. Bedbugs...broken window latch...I can vouch that these are all true.

For your own safety and peace of mind, please spend the extra dollars and book your stay at a commercial hotel. Spare yourself the added stress! We certainly learned our lesson.

Hotel de L'Elysee should be closed down!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank eg13
Reviewed 15 August 2006

i would not recomment this place to anyone. on the positve side, the hotel clerk did call me a taxi for me, which of course i took to a clean and safe hotel.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank marshalambo
Reviewed 7 August 2006

I have stayed at many hotels in montreal...ranging from Taj Mahal to Hotel Gault, and this has to be the most disgusting experience I've ever had.

We booked for the august long weekend, and ended up leaving after the first night. Please don't get fooled by the ideal location, it is a pig sty and infested with bed bugs. we didn't notice them until the next morning when I and my friend were literally covered with oozing welts on our faces and necks. We called for the manager, who never came. We demanded that someone come up to see the headboard and bed, and nobody came. We finally had to go down to the front desk and get the owner on the phone. The staff was unfriendly and spoke little english/french.

I thought it fishy that they tried to charge me three nights, in advance. Do not sign anything until you inspect your room. If you don't want your vacation ruined and you don't want nasty oozing bites on your face, STAY ELSEWHERE!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with friends
7  Thank gingerlily
Reviewed 6 July 2006

pros
1)strategically located
2)reasonably priced
cons
1)paper thin walls - if anyone is up.....you are up. Its not a hotel, it is a row home with hotel rooms in it.
2)slightly seedy neighborhood
3)unhelpful staff
4)breakfast is ....no joke ...wonder bread, a toaster and horrible coffee
5)hard to commuicate with front desk (english or french)....when some one is even there.

I was very dissappointed with this Hotel. Where do I start. Well, let me start by saying this is my first review despite using tripadvisor many times. I felt I needed to save the next guy the headache I got with this hotel. I suspect that the ratings of this hotel may have been pumped up by friends or relatives of the owner because I usually find the reviews here to be on the money.
I would also like to add that I have stayed at many value hotels before but there are certain expectations that even a value hotel should meet. First of all, it is indeed strategically well located. However, its immediate neighborhood is a little seedy. I felt like I needed to explain myself to wife as to why out hotel was in between rundown houses/hotels which homeless people are living in (boarded up windows and all) and drug deals and hookers about at nightime.
Then there is the room. The toilet ran constantly and room had about two feet of space outside the parimeter of the mattress. Worst of all, the walls were paper thin. You could hear conversations going on in other rooms. We were awaken several time throughout the night by people coming in all ours of the night, coming up the steps carrying on drunk talk. Any normal hotel walls would blocked those sounds out.
I tryed to converse with the front desk on several occasions and it was hit or miss depending on who was there and it was mostly miss. English or french. I got a parking ticket despite asking several times if my parking space was ok. Plus apon leaving I discovered my car had been struck while parked:(

To be fare
This hotel was less then a block from the metro which is handy. It was a block from st denis which has many restaurants and shops. It was $100 +tax canadian when many other hotels wanted about $150+tax during the weekend of the 4th of July.

All and all, I wouldn't stay here for free because I couldn't even get one restful night the whole time I was there.

• Stayed: June 2006
Reviewed 14 March 2006

The location of this hotel was a bit far out of the city for my liking. Although only a 20 minute walk or three metro stops, it was too far for a tourist in winter with only three days to see it all. Although the street was safe and only 4 minute walk from the metro stop, I would much rather stay closer to the city centre. This is a very old building that has been recently renovated. It does need a lift however; it's not fun lugging your bags up all those stairs. The guys at the front desk are really nice, they let me use their internet for free. The room was quiet and spacious. The bathroom was rather small in comparison. I would not stay here again, only due to the hotel's out-of-town location.

• Stayed: January 2006