“really disappointed”
Review of W Montreal

W Montreal
Ranked #20 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 25 May 2014

this is the first time I stayed in a W hotel and I think it's so very overrated. in a few words, given the option i will not stay in a W hotel again, especially this one.
1. very insufficient lighting; makes me feel like i'm floating all the time ;
2. the rain shower top is only 10 inch diameter snapped on a ceiling of maybe 12-14 foot ceiling. without a handheld showerhead , for women this is hugely inadequate. pity i cannot attach pictures here which can best describe how ridiculous it is ;
3. the fruit dish put in the room was quite old as the lovely looking strawberry was already mouldy.
4. the ceiling wall paper was already peeling in the cafe;
5. oh and if you are a pampered guest coming from all the 5 star hotels in asia.... be sure to bring your own kettle, tea bags and instant coffee for quick fix, slippers, and toothbrush .....because they don't have them in the room ( think of the discomfort to a guest who checks in at 2am, which I did).
6. the pipes in my bathroom makes a loud vent banging sound.... from time to time.... spotted times are 530am, 230 pm, anyways .... odd hours; beware of that too (i have a recording for proof ).
all in all, i did not enjoy my stay for 5 nights there and cannot possibly recommend it !

Room Tip: don't get a room close to the elevator, you can hear everything people say as they walk along th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your last visit at W Montréal.
We are really surprised to hear that you didn’t enjoy your stay and the overall W experience.

Feel free to contact us at wmontreal@whotels.com to discuss further.

There are newer reviews for W Montreal

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Love the vibe of W Montreal and the location! Located in an area that central to Business and Entertainment, I really enjoy this part of my travels to Canada. One might consider this to be a boutique hotel, but I really enjoy the intimacy of the property. On-site services are really great and I have sampled all the room sizes, including the Mega room and most recently the Wow suite. All are great and I look forward to my stays at this property when my travels take me to Montreal!

Room Tip: Centrally located near Old and New Montreal

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a nice comment on our hotel!
We are really glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the overall W experience and that we exceed your expectations with the design of the rooms.
It is always a pleasure for us to provide the best service and experience ever and make their stay a memorable one!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is a cool, hip boutique style bar with a dark moody ambiance throughout. The corridors continue that moody lightning and also you seen neon style picture frames and quirky furniture around every corner.
Check-in was great they make you feel welcome and there was no wait. The foyer has cool seating and just behind the check-in area is the signature bar - Wunderbar.
The hotel is located in a great area off Victoria Square adjacent to old Montreal. Walking distance to the many attractions and restaurants that Montreal has too offer.
My room was a little on the small side but they really pack the room full of features. Flat screen TV, iPod Player, CD Player, Fully stocked snack bar, fully stocked mini-bar with half bottles of spirits.
The bed was excellent, the normal high Starwood quality and comfortable.
The best part of the room was the bathroom, with walk-in shower and possibly the best shower - full head ceiling shower which was excellent. Want this in my home!
The quirky nature of the room continues in that you can see the shower with floor to ceiling glass from the bedroom.
The quirky furniture and moody lightning (blue in the shower anyone?) continues in the room and bedside cabinets are actually lamps that light up.
Sure it wont be to everyone's tastes but i loved it and would say its one of the best hotels in Montreal.
Fairly pricey for my stay, if i stayed here for longer than 2 nights i would want a bigger room, twice the size.
But I'm glad i experienced it - it certainly is a W Hotel to remember.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a nice comment on our hotel!
We are really glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we exceed your expectations with the design of the rooms and the kindness of our Talents.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

The hotel staff was very helpful. They made the experience a pleasant one. The hotel is a little dark in the elevator and the hallways. The hotel exudes a "beat." The bass is a little much. Our room was adequate. It wasn't all that luxurious.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel!
We are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and we will definitely pass along your kind words to our talents.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Entering the lobby for the first time, I thought I had stepped into a bordello. It was so dark and all I could see were spots of red and black, including at the reception desk. The music played loud pounding music all weekend, except Sunday, when the music noise was replaced by construction saws, drills and hammers. It is definitely a party hotel for club goers and prostitutes, many of whom we saw entering the elevators. Even the hallways were dark and I kept thinking I had sunglasses on. The room was okay as the beds were very comfortable. But not comfortable was having a huge glassed in shower right next to the bed. If you took a shower or sat on the toilet, you could be seen from the bed. Partygoers were running through the 6th floor at all hours of the night. On a positive note, the Bliss products in the bathroom were very nice, and the concierge was excellent. In general, the hotel tried so hard to be cool, I found it pretentious, and I don't understand how anyone could find this hotel romantic!

Room Tip: Stay away from lower floors
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I have been many times to this hotel because of the rooms and I appreciate that the valet guys, front desk staff remember me and treat me very well. Being a Starwood customer they always upgrade my room without me asking for it. The rooms are big, romantic, clean and confortable. My favourite W hotel that i have stayed at! Although the rooms are not cheap, if you get a good deal then it's worth it!! The restaurant and room service is quite expensive. They dont give free internet unless you use points to pay for that 15.00$ charge for 24hours. There is no coffee machine in the room so you have to go down to lobby for complementary coffee in the morning. Fridays and Saturdays is a bit noisy because of the bars on the main floor and the Mezzanine. Although all these negative points it is still a great clean and action hotel. Next to some of the nicest restaurants, walking distance....like Graziella, Holder's, maybe not walking distance to Crescent Street and the nicer high end boutiques. This hotel is still my favourite in Montreal cause it has character, maybe intimidating for some people but to me its intriguing, its just puts you in the mood to have a good time and enjoy the moment!!

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors especially on weekends ....could get noisy on lower floors
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive comment on W Montréeal!
It's always great to read that our guests enjoy themselves during their stay with us.
Be assured we will pass along your kind words to our talents.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Your W Montreal manager

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I've stayed here a few times in 2012/2013, and always enjoyed my stay. I love that it is right near old Montreal, and has a cool vibe compared to most hotels. Two of the times I stayed here it was rainy in Montreal, so I didn't mind the darker decor, but on the occasions I stayed during nice weather I didn't like to spend much time in the room and found it a bit difficult to wake up (though I believe there are some rooms with windows). I like to get a room with a bath tub, as the tubs are huge and luxurious. Good food via room service, and I appreciated the fact that they accommodated my and my husband's vegan diet. Staff always seemed friendly and competent. I would stay here again if traveling in Montreal

Room Tip: We always get a room on a higher floor to avoid any party noise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us!
We are glad to read you enjoyed staying at W Montréal each time you traveled to Montréal and we would like to thank you for your loyalty.
It is always a pleasure for us to provide the best service ever and make their stay a memorable one!

We hope to welcome you back soon!