“Loved the W in Montreal!”
Review of W Montreal

W Montreal
Ranked #20 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 5 November 2008

The hotel was great! My husband and I went here for our 1 year anniversary and it was perfect for what we were seeking. It is a very trendy hotel with a great lounge and really nice staff. The room was really nice, but I wouldn't recommend it for families or even friends because the shower has a glass wall that looks directly into the bedroom so you wouldn't have the privacy that you would need if you're not with a significant other. The area was fine for us as well because we drove so we got around quite easily. My only recommendation is to do your own research on restaurants/things to do in the area because the hotel does not have a very exhaustive list of restaurants or things to do so you can miss out on some cool things if you don't do your own research.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for W Montreal

Reviewed 10 September 2008

I will preface this review by saying that I have stayed in about 80% of the W Hotels throughout the United States, and am quite enamoured with the chain, and Starwood more generally. Sadly however this hotel fell short of the W standard quality in both service and facilities.

The staff was young and courteous, but not the usual proactive service I have come to expect from the W. The room I was first given (3rd floor) was appallingly small, faced an interior courtyard of an office building, and had paint peeling in the bathroom. After highlighting these failings to the front desk staff they realized that I should have been upgraded given my status with the hotel, however at this point I was told only a suite was available and it wouldn't be ready until about 2am. I said I would check back in the morning, and then spent 30 minutes waiting for 2 martinis in the hotel bar (they did give me a drink voucher for my delay).

After staying the night in my original room I was told in the morning that the suite was no longer available (curious what happens overnight), but they had another Mega Room for me (7th floor). This room was excellent, and the top-floor suites I saw later also seemed superb.

If you've never stayed in a W Hotel before you can expect to be impressed by the young chic look and above average service; however, if you commonly stay in W Hotels don't expect this to be on par. Expect the staff to be slightly less helpful and even indignant at times (quite the opposite from the brand's norm I know). I would recommend no one take a room on the 3rd floor!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
4  Thank egc7
Reviewed 12 August 2008

The W chain is all about cool. Sometime it works, and sometimes it seems a bit forced. The Montreal location is no exception. The common areas are well done, the lobby is roomy and comfortable, and the staff friendly and attractive. There were some deficiencies that shouldn't really be there for a hotel in this price range. The first thing we were told was that the hotel was full and we don't have any upgrades for Starwood Gold members (It seemed almost like a standard line they give). Despite checking in around 4pm "the room assigned was not ready yet" "but I will see what I can do" after 5 minutes looking on the computer and leaving to assumedly talk to a supervisor, the check in clerk found a room that was on a higher floor, basically the upgrade that they were too full to provide in the first place. The room was clean, well appointed with stylish, if somewhat worn furniture, but the shower curtain was missing and their was no shampoo etc in the room. This was quickly rectified by the staff who were all outstanding. All in all good service but for this price it should be done right the first time.

Final point the charge for parking was completely ridiculous. $40 in Montreal is way over the top, other underground lots in the area were posting $15-20 and I just parked on the street for free (during the week this would not be an option during the day).

Location was good across the street from a Metro stop and walking distance to most attractions but, I would consider a little further north and east to be better for a tourist, especially a first time visitor.

All in all, I would recommend somewhere else of this price range go with the Loews, or a boutique hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fogetmylogin
Reviewed 6 August 2008

I spent one night in the W with my wife, wanted to "experience" the W hotel. It was pretty good, the room was very nice and spacious, unfortunately there was a party going on beneath our room which was very noisy. we were so tired that we just fell asleep but still a bit anoying... I guess that is also part of the W experience.
All in all it was pretty special, very nice for a night, but I don't think it's our scene...

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2008

This hotel is too cool for me. Prepared for see through showers people... SEE THROUGH! The glass in the shower is blue and from floor to ceiling. Don't take the kids to this hotel! Anyway, it was a lovely stay. My boyfriend said he will stay here every ttme he's on Montreal!

We did have to wait until after 3 to check in because they were so packed. We also noticed the room wasn't completely picked up... we found some open cd sitting on the desk and some of the bath supplies had fallen on the floor. Other than that, it was ok.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2008

Hubby and I recently stayed here when we were in Montreal for the jazz festival. The location was perfect -- essentially, right in between Old Montreal and ground zero for the festival. Everything was just a short walk away.

Our hotel room the first night was *tiny* but well-appointed. We loved the rain shower with the sensuous wall of glass that was big enough for two (or three or four or five, if you're so inclined!). Because we have Starwood membership, we were upgraded to a more spacious room, with a similar sexy luscious shower, the following night.

We've stayed at Ws all over, and the service at this one was probably the most outstanding. Every staff member, from front desk to concierge, was not only eye candy but genuinely friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. (e.g., we could have upgraded to a bigger room the first night, but our check-in person warned us that the room was right above the club and could remain noisy late into the night. We got excellent brunch/restaurant advice and recommendations.) We opted to wait until the following night, when a quiet room was available, to upgrade.

One weird and hilarious thing about this hotel: there are velvet ropes out front at night, and when we drove up there was already a long line of 20-something hotties waiting to get in, and we -- in our dowdy road-trip clothes -- had to practically fight our way through the crowd out front, as bouncers looked at us sketchily, to demand to be immediately let in. The bouncers were really nice and helpful once they learned we had a hotel reservation. After we checked in, we wanted to see what the hype and frenzy was all about. The club on the ground floor turned out to be half empty!! There is a fairly large chi-chi bar/lounge on the second floor/mezzanine, and it was sparsely populated, too, with patrons. The same thing happened the following night -- line of people outside not getting in, but a club and mezzanine bar that were even emptier than the first night inside. The bouncers obviously were keeping people out unnecessarily, to project an appearance of exclusivity.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2008

My companion and I recently stayed at the W Montreal for one night. Like all W hotels, it was very hip, dramatic lobby, hip young employees,.....but the room we had was as small as my walk-in closet at home. It was so small that we couldn't both pass in front of the bed at the same time. It was a cool room, but should only be given to a single guest. When checking out we mentioned this to the front desk and was told that there are only one of these on each floor. Lucky us!!!
The other thing that bugs me about all W hotels is the way they nickel and dime you more than any other hotel chain. It gets to the point that you feel they really are trying to rip you off. Even though every hotel does this, W's seem to take it beyond the acceptable level.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple