“Pretty Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Belford, New Jersey
“Pretty Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

So this is a really nice Hotel, and I have to say that generally I enjoyed staying here. I would say that I am pretty easy to please. I was staying in a Mega room, these rooms are pretty large! I had lots of space! The bed was comfortable, and the room was well equipped and aside from some mildew in the shower, VERY clean..

Here are something that didn't go as I expected, or that you should watch out for:
1) I arrived at 7pm and my room wasn't available. That seemed odd, I was told it would take another 5 minutes. It took more like 20.
2) The noise, I am a pretty good sleeper, so I wasn't disturbed by it but I sure could hear it. The bar plays loud music and I was on the 4th floor. I could clearly hear the base all the way until 1am (maybe later but I was never awake after that).
3) The bathroom did not have anywhere to hang towels. This isn't a huge issue but I don't like to get fresh towels every day, so I like to hang my towels up, but there was no where to do this.
4) This hotel is DARK! the lobby is dark, the halls are dark, even my room is was dark. With the curtains open and EVERY light on in the room, it was still not easy to read or see colours in my room (outside of the bathroom area).
5) The "cool" factor. This hotel is trying very hard to be cool. I've stayed at a lot of hotels around the world (see below). This hotel is pretty cool, but not as cool as the W in Hong Kong. It's also not as classy as almost all the hotels I stay in...
6) There is NO door to the bathroom. I knew this before I stayed there, and I'm fine with it, I just wanted to be more descriptive. There is a curtain you can draw, but it's VERY thin, you would see through it. If you stay here with someone make sure you are comfortable with this.
7) The tiles in the bathroom. There was some mildew in the shower, and in the toilet area there was a huge crack.
8) The door to the toilet (yes there is a door here) would not stay open, it would close on it's own all the time.

Notes: I did get a "gift" when I arrived, I don't know if this was because of the delay in my room being ready or them just being nice, or because I am an SPG member.

I was also not paying full price for my room, if I had been my rating would probably be lower.

Hotels I can compare too:
Four Seasons Budapest
Le Meridian in Budapest
Hilton Canary Wharf London
Marriott Park Lane London
W Hong Kong
Westin Tokyo
ITC Windsor Bangalore.

Room Tip: As for a room on an upper floor if you think the noise will bother you, they will move you (or they...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this review, 4 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
We are glad to read that you generally enjoyed your stay with us.
However, we are sorry for the issues you encountered so please feel free to contact us at wmontreal@whotels.com to discuss further.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Your W Montréal Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Halifax
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

For point of reference I'm going to mention that I am a female in my mid thirties and stayed in this hotel alone as I flew in for a very important business meeting the next morning. My initial reaction for this hotel was "oooh look at the lights and decor... seems trendy". When i checked in around 830pm after my flight, the lounge was very loud and i couldn't hear anything the front desk clerk was saying. I checked in and dropped my stuff andleft for supper. The doormen looked young but were very helpful. When I returned at 1130pm the new doorman looked like bouncers and wouldn't let me back in the hotel at first. I made my way back to my room through the extremely dark elevator (yet very loud with rave music) and dark hallways to beer caps and bottles strewn in the hallway. My room was like a dark little den with neat blue lighting but again still very dark with all the lights on. My window view was the INSIDE of what I assume to be an office building (absolutely terrible)...so no opening the curtains. It turns out that at first all I could hear was thumping from the music downstairs but then the room next door had a party. At one point I saw 13 people through my peephole and they started banging on the walls and trying to enter my room through the doorway in between (which luckily I checked earlier and found unlocked then). I spoke to the front desk twice (2nd time at 420am) asking them to do something as I was nervous, angry and tired. The girl was apologetic and said they'd send security. Security never came. The party finished at 530 am and I had to be checked out for 730am for a very important work meeting. When I checked out, the desk asked me if I enjoyed my stay. I explained again what happened and was VERY unhappy, and tearful as extremely tired as I had 1/2hr sleep to try to be on my A game for this meeting, to which she replied ..."oh I hate it when that happens". That was it. I will never stay at the W again, nor will I recommend it. Terrible terrible terrible. Lacking in safety and customer service just to start.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank picklespugsley
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this review, 4 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
We are extremely saddened to read that you didn’t enjoy your stay because of all the issues you have encountered.
We would like to deeply apologized for the service you had so please feel free to contact us at wmontreal@whotels.com to discuss further.

Your W Montréal Manager
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I've never stayed at the W Montreal since I live nearby but I've photographed their rooms at weddings (I'm a photographer) and they are modern looking and chic as is the rest of the hotel. Their bar and lounge areas are simply fabulous for their chill, low-light ambience. The Wunderbar is killer neon and is a must see. The staff is super-friendly in every department I've ever dealt with.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this review, 31 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
We are happy to read that you appreciated the hotel, its service and the W experience! We hope that you will be able to live an entire W experience in one of our hotel soon enough!

We will pass along your kind words to our Talents!

New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We just spent 4 days, 3 nights at the W Montreal. The hotel is nice as is expected from a W. Here is a breakdown:

WIFI: Although free wifi is not available throughout the hotel, there is free wifi available in the lobby. I tried it there and the speed was good. You can pay for wifi in your hotel room (I think it was CAD$43 for 3 days?) and the connection is very good.

PARKING: The cost to valet at the W is CAD$35 a day and if you look at their website, they do say to allow up to 30 minutes for delivery. This is because the W does not have its own parking garage. They use an independent parking garage directly across the street from the hotel. We just parked in that parking garage ourselves. It cost CAD$19 a day. Here is the address: Service Vincipark, 629 St Antoine St W, Montreal, QC H3C 3Z7, Canada. When you exit via the pedestrian exit, you will see the W directly across the street. Why not save a few bucks and park the car yourself? The location of this garage does not get more convenient and you can pay with credit or cash.

LOCATION/METRO: The W is located at the Square-Victoria OACI stop on the orange line of the Metro (CAD$3 per ride -- we opted for full day passes at a cost of CAD$18 for 3 days instead). There is an entrance for the Metro directly across the street from the entrance of the hotel, BUT there is also an entrance directly downstairs of the hotel. The exit is on the same floor as the gym (I think SS2?). Keep in mind that of the two elevators there, only one elevator goes down to this level. The hotel is also a short walk to Old Montreal. The W is well situated to conveniently explore the city.

AMENITIES: Unfortunately, this hotel does not have a pool. It does have an excellent gym with a few treadmills, weights, bikes, etc. The hotel rooms have Bliss toiletries which I thought were great. I asked for an extra set to be sent to my room so that I can bring them home! As others have noted, the hotel rooms are very dark. The bathrooms also have an open design. Our bathroom shower wall was a glass wall that faced directly into the room. No curtain was available to cover the glass wall either so be sure you are very comfortable with your room buddy!

MISCELLANEOUS: Service at the hotel was very good, also as should be expected. Upon checking in, our room was not ready so we received some vouchers for drinks at Bartini. We chatted with two of the bartenders there (Sue and Matt) and both were so nice and gave us some good recommendations for restaurants. We are SPG members and opted for the Green Choice. Since we chose this, they also comped our wifi during our stay. If management is reading this, we were in room 902 between July 25-July 28. The person checking us in (I didn't catch her name) was amazing. So cordial and extremely helpful!

MONTREAL DRIVING TIP: When you are driving and see a flashing green light, that is a left turn signal.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and to give some advices to other guests!
We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as the W experience.
It is always a pleasure for us to provide you with the best service and to exceed your expectations. We will pass along your kind words to all our Talents!

Hoping to welcome you back soon!

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

great overall!! loved the room!! the mini bar had everything you could want in the middle of the night:)staff at the reception was amazing!! the wunderbar was super nice and also great staff! good selection of scotch. for sure I recommend this place for would go back.

Stayed July 2014
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such an enthusiastic post on our hotel !
We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we exceeded your expectations with the overall W experience.

Be assured we will pass along your kind words to all our Talents!
We would be glad to welcome you again soon!

Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel was different than any other one i've to and i loved it. Location was great (mins from shopping, restaurants and old montreal), very chic and not made for family in my opinion. Great for couples here to enjoy montreal and its night life. Overall, great experience and the price is high but fair for what you get. Parking in the hotel is very expensive. However there is a parking lot just across the street so use it (15$ less per day!). I usually park my car and walk everywhere in downtown for shopping/sight seeing and cab it to clubs... Enjoy!

Stayed March 2014
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!
We are really glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the overall W experience and that we exceeded your expectations with our location.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

W Hotel in Montreal is splendid, great service, good food, excellent lounge/bar, great location. The staff is very polite and gracious, we pulled in at 1am from driving in from Chicago and they sent us snacks and drinks free, its a nice touch. The hotel restaurant Otto was also very good. I do insist that for morning coffee walk up a block and there are 3 coffee shops that serve amazing coffee. The rooms are very clean, you can tell they put a great amount of effort into cleaning the bathroom and common living areas. My only gripe (as with most places) you still have to pay for wifi...its a massive trade off when you get great sleep in a clean comfortable room. One thing if you drive in just park the car and walk...I didnt see my car for 5 days, Montreal is a great walking city.

Room Tip: My friend had room 305 and it was above the lounge...Though the sound was muffled from the lounge be...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Rooms
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review on our hotel.
We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we exceeded your expectations regarding the localization and the service.

Be assured that we will pass along your kind words to the Talents!!
We look forward to welcoming you back soon !