“Very funky place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of W Montreal

W Montreal
Ranked #20 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Vienna, VA
“Very funky place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2009

My husband and I stayed at the W while visitng Montreal for a romantic getaway and were very happy with our selection. It's ideally located within walking distance to the old city, shopping, and metro. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Rooms were very fun, if a bit on the small side and a bit dark for my taste. Be prepared for the glass wall shower experience!

• Liked — Location and atmostphere
  • Disliked — Rooms are on the small side and a bit dark
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Durham, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2008

We fretted over the reviews that we read on TripAdvisor. We worried that it would be too modern, too cold, too loud. We had reason to worry: We invited 30 friends and family to join us for our wedding in Montreal - without ever visiting the city.

Bottom line: The facilities were gorgeous (and yes, modern) and the staff was fantastic.

We fell in love with the W. And so did our guests. Even our 60- something, 70-ish parents (to our surprise).

So don't be afraid - if you're open minded about a different interpretation of the "hotel" then you'll probably enjoy the W.

• Liked — Gorgeous facility, great view, fantastic service
  • Disliked — Dining - okay though, plenty near by.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank seatbelt123
Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2008

We were heading up to Montreal for a concert and a couple days of fun and wanted to stay at a nice place. We booked the W through the Starwood website - got a really good special rate.
Check in: Very easy and proficient. Staff very friendly.
Room: We had a "wonderful" room. Typical sized hotel room IMO. Room was very clean and well appointed. Definately dark...lighting not so good in my opinion. The voyeaur shower was definatley interesting (I thought it was really cool). If you plan to stay at this hotel and share a room with someone, make sure you know them REAL WELL because you'll be seeing all of them.
The concierge was very friendly and helpful.
We did not eat in the hotel restaurants or go to the bar(s).
Location is good. Central between Old Montreal and the St. Catherine St. area. Direct access to the underground/metro station which is a plus, especially in the winter.
We used the valet parking which was a bit steep at $40/day. Valet staff was nice and they got our car quickly when we wanted it.
Overall we had a great stay and I'd stay here again.

• Liked — The vibe of the hotel
  • Disliked — Cost of parking, but that was to be expected
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Barbados
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2008

The W hotel in Montreal is a great place for those seeking good tunes, central location to businesses and most of all....a great hotel bar.

Weds nights are popular with locals, dress up. The food of course can be pricey so I would recammend walking down the street to Old Montreal....lots of cute places there to grab a bite to eat.

Of course when it's minus 30 in Jan, Otto restaurant located right beside / within the hotel is your best bet!

Stayed December 2007
boston, ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2008

Apparently trendy = black with strange lights in the hallway that make you feel like you've landed in a Borg cube.
Look, I think you'll enjoy your stay - the hotel is in a convenient location, and the accomodations themselves, while devoid of much light, are nice (it would be nice to feel like you can actually read in your room). The concierges were quite helpful and friendly and had some great recommendations. Hence, my 4 star rating (i'd really give it 3 1/2 if I could). So for a couple, a weekend trip, it's a fine place to stay.
But, I'm not sure about a lengthier stay... after a few days, I think I'd really feel light deprived. It gets dark enough, early enough in Montreal in the winter...

• Liked — location, concierges
  • Disliked — too dark
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2008

This was the first time I've stayed in a W, though I've dined and visited the bar in several others. The staff here was very friendly from the minute I walked in. The front desk and the doorman went out of their way to make me feel welcome and see if there was any assistance I required. Since I was here for only one night on a business trip, I wasn't able to really put this to the test. I'm a Starwoods Preferred Gold member, and when I checked it was nice to dins out that I had a double upgrade on my room. The hotel itself has a very modern feel to it, though the hallways and the room seemed a bit dark. The facilities were all in excellent condition, and the location is directly across the street from the Montreal Metro and an easy walk to Old Montreal.

• Liked — Huge, comfortable room
  • Disliked — Bar was a little too "cool"
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2008

The hotel was great! My husband and I went here for our 1 year anniversary and it was perfect for what we were seeking. It is a very trendy hotel with a great lounge and really nice staff. The room was really nice, but I wouldn't recommend it for families or even friends because the shower has a glass wall that looks directly into the bedroom so you wouldn't have the privacy that you would need if you're not with a significant other. The area was fine for us as well because we drove so we got around quite easily. My only recommendation is to do your own research on restaurants/things to do in the area because the hotel does not have a very exhaustive list of restaurants or things to do so you can miss out on some cool things if you don't do your own research.

• Liked — The room was clean and comfortable
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple