“I'm a believer in the W brand because of the W Montreal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of W Montreal

W Montreal
Ranked #21 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Mid Atlantic, USA
“I'm a believer in the W brand because of the W Montreal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2009

My husband and I stayed here three nights during our honeymoon. We were given a "Wow Suite" on the 10th floor of the hotel. The room itself was two floors with floor to ceiling windows that overlooked beautiful Montreal. The hotel is modern and very clean. The staff were always pleasant, helpful, and friendly. The hotel bars are pricey but not at all out of line what you'd pay in any major city: Toronto, NYC, Chicago, etc.

The hotel is located perfectly between centre-ville and vieux Montreal. There is a Metro stop directly across the street.

I would stay at the W again in a second.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2009

I've been at this hotel for one week. The room I had (mega room) looked very nice/stylish.

Most of the (female) staff were nice. Some male staff at the welcome desk & wunderbar were asses. I wasn't allowed to get into the wunderbar, because I did not have a room. (My colleague was checking in at that moment, so I just wanted to get myself a drink in the meanwhile.)
It was a shame that I had to pay $19/day for Internet access. First because it was terribly slow and secondly because I would expect a $250/day room to have at least Internet.
I quickly noticed that EVERYTHING in the hotel costs money. Things that are normally included in the price in most hotels, costed here a lot of money. Even water and the newspapers were a few bucks.
It was also a shame to find out that I had been 'checked out' automatically after 5 days, because I paid ($2000) with a debit card and I still had to pay 200 more CAD. They didn't call my mobile phone or whatever, but just checked me out. After paying, I could go back to the room, but they forgot to check me in, so nothing in the room worked (internet, TV, phone...) Took them another day to fix that all up.

So in short: The hotel was nice, but keep in mind that it's probably going to cost you twice the amount than expected.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank renox
winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2009

You may be wondering what on earth does the "W" stand for.... Well it is more so a saying at this hotel chain... WHATEVER you WANT, WHENEVER you WANT.... Everything and anything you could possibe need, want or need done is what they are trying to accomplish.... Amazingly they do a wonderful job at exceuting this.... The hotel itself is really nicely decorated... The rooms are clean and very modern looking, however extremely small.... There is no place to store you luggage to keep out of plain sight, nor was there very much room to store your clothing in as there was one amour in the room....Location was awesome.. A bit pricy, however I would stay there again...

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eeva1
Toronto, ON
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2009

For all the hype that the W is- I very disappointed in the experience. Yes, the decor was interesting... funky and sleek, and the rooms were unique, but definately not worth their price tag.

For starters... the room was supposed to be ready at 3pm (in fact it was "guaranteed"). Unfortunately, we were told they needed the room until 4pm as they were overbooked with cleaning, and would call our other party's room once ready. Did not hear. Finally called the front desk at 6pm and they said the room was ready already for the past hour, and didn't call because of a communication breakdown with shift changes!!!

So get into the room.... the tv is not working. It took 2 visits from the tech people to get it working properly. Looking around the hotel room realize there are no ammenities (no shampoo or conditioner... or even a free bottle of water). Not only that, if you did want something... say the bottle of water on the nightstand.... the price tags were ridiculous.

After checking out the room (very different with the completely exposing shower)... was actually looking forward to the large tub.... until I noticed the pubic hair. Yes- the PUBIC HAIR laced at the bottom of the tub. So crossed off 'taking a bath' from my to-do list.

I would say it was one of the worst hotel experiences... especially for the price paid. I will give the doormen a positive review for their friendliness. They were great. The maid service barging in the room though, (once while taking a shower, the other while sleeping) I would leave off the 'good service' list. Everything else gets a thumbs down.... which includes the pulsating club music that could be heard in the rooms until about 3am or later...

If you're willing to spend $18 +18% + $5 on 2 eggs.... go to the W. If not, don't even consider it. You are far better to visit the lobby, have a drink at the bar, and stay somewhere where you get what you pay for.

• Stayed February 2009
2 Thank asb09
Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2009

Pretentious, pretentious, pretentious
Internet charge of $ 19 + tax per day, and it is slow. Or for $25 + taxper day you get just a bit better access. RIDICULOUS. Next time go to cheaper hotels with free Internet acces.
In the lobby there is free internet but poor quality, if it works at all. Often it does not.
Soooo, you walk in from the street with your laptop and you do not consume anything, NO value for hotel but they give you free Internet.
But when you pay a lot of money for your room they charge you even more $ 19 or $ 25 ++ per day for Internet. Can someone (from W explain?).
Great rooms. But little attention to paying guests.
Takes all night to turn off your lights. if you can actually find buttons to turn them off...
No concierge in hotel in the morning when you might need help.
Concierge caters more to walk-ins that come for the bar?
Breakfast has few options. Slow service.
Dinner has beautiful ladies serving you...
Frustration wins here, I would NOT stay here again, not even recommend it. Contrary.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank zebra48
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2009

I stayed at the W for 2 nights in January 2009 for business and absolutely LOVED it. I arrived fairly late on a Tuesday night and was check in was a breeze. I was upgraded as a gold SPG member and my room was huge! It was incredibly clean and spacious with a great bed and amazing bathroom.

The internet works quite well. I did the basic and it worked quite well. The TV choices are nice. The bliss bath products were great.

My room was cleaned quite well between days as well.

I used the fitness center both mornings and was please with the selection and cleanliness.

We ate at the hotel restaurant- Otto- one night (snowstorm prohibitied us from going out) and it was yummy!

Check out was very smooth.

I very much enjoyed the W and would definitely stay here again if I get to go to Montreal again :)

• Liked — spacious room
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank ladybugx87
Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2009

Upon our arrival we were told that the only rooms available without upgrading were above the nightclub, which we told parties till about 3AM. Having already spent 14 hours on the road, I told the front desk that we would pay for the next grade of room up as I didn't have time to argue about it.
Our upgraded rooms looked into a law office library (about 25 feet across an interior courtyard) which is honestly one of the worst views I've ever had in a hotel room.
The decor of the hotel is cool, the staff (especially the valets) are nice, and the downstairs bar is fun, but this is a horrible choice for a business hotel.
I've stayed at the Sofitel and had a much better experience. Will be back there again, but not to here.
As of this writing I'm trying to determine why we've been charged over $1200 US for two nights, considering that the original rooms we booked were approx $169/night.

• Liked — Fun staff
  • Disliked — Horrible views, poor value for the money
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)