“Funky and trendy but no value”
Review of W Montreal

W Montreal
Ranked #21 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Vancouver, BC
“Funky and trendy but no value”
Reviewed 18 May 2009

W is part of the SPG family of hotels which includes Sheratons, Westins, Four Points etc. I regularly stay at Westins and Sheratons for work and decided to cash in some of my Starwood Points for a girls weekend with my best friend.

We were pleased when we arrived to find we were right between St Catherine's street (the shopping district) and Old Montreal so we did not need our car. However, parking was not convenient to the hotel and we had to walk a fair distance with our suitcases. The doormen - and all the staff - were very friendly and welcoming.

The decor and atmosphere are very sleek, modern - dark with lots of chrome and waterfalls - unlike any hotel we'd stayed in before. Our room was not very spacious. There was nowhere to put our luggage so we had to leave it on the floor - taking up precious real estate.

There were nice touches - the ipod dock, the DVD library, lots of magazines, big windows, fantastic Bliss body products and even a funky faux fur blanket. There was no mini bar - it was a FULL bar, which we did not touch because were were terrified of the prices.

Having said that, the bottled water in the room was $8 for a small bottle, there was no coffee/tea maker - just a card saying coffee could be purchased from the hotel cafe, the internet access was $19/day, room service came with a $5 charge and 18% "fee", there were no vending machines near the ice machines where you could buy a reasonably priced bottle of water or pop, in fact, everything in the place had a price tag attached to it.

The Bed: The bed is the most important part of a hotel room to me and after staying at Sheraton's with their fantastic Sweet Sleeper bed, this did not compare. We both woke up with sore backs every morning and the funky decor caused the bed frame to blend in with the black carpet. I stubbed my toe on the frame five times and had to put a shoe next to it so I would make a wide turn around it (hard to do in a small space).

The Bathroom: very trendy. But totally impractical. The shower is completely glassed in and open to the whole room so unless you want to see every bit of your travelling companion while they shower, you'll have to do what we did and take turns going for coffee in the morning. The shower is supposed to be a 'rainforest' shower coming straight down from the ceiling, which is nice if you are just standing under it but useless for shaving your legs, washing your hair, etc. If you're just there for a romantic weekend, it would probably be great but we weren't and it was a pain.

Our other complaint was the concierge was gone by 7pm on our first night (a sunday) and there was nobody to give us restaurant recommendations.

Overall, this was fun experience and pretty funky but if I had to actually PAY for this room, I'd have been really ticked off... the value is not there. I don't mind an expensive hotel room but I expect it to be comfortable and the service and details should be flawless and I shouldn't feel like I have to open my wallet every time I turn around. I'll go back to my regular Sheraton hotels with the fantastic beds.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
montreal
Reviewed 8 May 2009

I have stayed at many hotels in the city of Montreal and nothing compares to the W. The location is ideal as it sits between the downtown Montreal area and the old port where anything from nightlife to restaurant to shopping can be found. The rooms are far superior from all other hotels in the city in terms of trendiness and even comfort. The service is impeccable. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone seeking a great hotel experience.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
Dublin
Reviewed 3 May 2009

We stayed in the W Montreal for 5 night during our Honeymoon. The poor experience we had actually started BEFORE we arrived. Why? Well, we called ahead to inform them that we were on Honeymoon and asked them if they would do anything special, like ALL other hotels did, for example Westin Boston (Champagne), The Cottages Nantucket (local chocolates) and the Hilton NYC (Champagne, Fruit and an upgrade). The W Montreal did not even acknowledge that we were on honeymoon when we checked in, however we were privileged to get to check in at all, given the wrestler doormen they had when we arrived and had to get through a queue for their trendy bar before we were even allowed to enter the hotel.

The room was relatively good, could have been cleaner and less dusty, but technoligically, it was ahead of most other hotels, good TV's, electronic curtains, DVD, etc. There was evidence of the previous tenants, empty bottles in drawers, etc.

We had a number of issues with service that we brought to the attention of management on leaving, however got no response until we chased up again. We were only given a rather curt response, short of an apology.

We were also recommended by the consierge to go to a local restaurant, that was unfortunately very very poor and very very expensive. Stay away from restaurant EMMA !!

In summary, it started bad and ended bad.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CPKONE
MtlWInsider, Manager at W Montreal, responded to this review, 6 May 2009
Well, hello there fellow traveller!

Allow us to thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your visit at the W Montréal which took place last August 2008! We strive for all of our guests to live a WOW experience, especially for a special occasion such as a honeymoon! We deeply regret not celebrating this event with you as our Whatever Whenever team is dedicated to make these moments magical. Even though it’s been quite some time since your stay, it was not a good example of what we are capable of and our wish is to discuss this further with you in hopes that we’ll have the chance to welcome you back at the W Montréal in the future. I invite you to contact me at wmontreal@whotels.com so we can demonstrate to you what the W is all about.
Follow your wonderlust!

W Insider
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed 24 April 2009

My boyfriend and I went to the W to celebrate Valentine's day as well as our one year anniversary. We had a nice Mega room with a bath and everything was clean. The room was quite big compared to the one I had at the W New York. For a portion of the price, you get something a lot bigger. We also had food delivered to our room from the Otto restaurant located at the bottom of the hotel. It was delicious and the service was nice and cozy. I agree that it's not well located if you are there for leisure since you are in the middle of many buildings but if you are looking to stay there for business, I think it would be a nice choice. If you don't want to be where all the tourists are, it would be nice too.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
San Jose, ca
Reviewed 21 April 2009

My husband and I travel around the world and look for places that are accessible to a lot of city activities, restuarants, nightlife and transportation. W hotel is in nowhere nowhere land. Not too much activities around the area. quite a walk to the main shopping areas, nightclub or even Old town. Its out of nowhere. Stay at Hotel Nelligan (old Town) or Fairmont Queen Elizabeth or Sofitel. Those areas are busy and well situated with tons to do. Dont make the same mistake I did. ROOMS: Mine was facing half a wall and with the little window that gives me a glimpse of the outside world. Unfortunately, this window was facing an office building. I can even see through the office. Thats how close our room and window was. CONCLUSION: Far better hotel elswhere.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Montreal
Reviewed 5 April 2009

Stayed there for one night, January 3rd, as we did not have much time or money to spend on our honeymoon. Booked a Spin Me package (chocolates and bottle of bubbly) on a standard guest room. I had written we were on our honeymoon and that any upgrades would be appreciated. Believe it or not, we were offered two complimentary drinks and the biggest Extreme Wow Suite!!! Two bathrooms, huge bathub with a separate shower, dinning area, two full-windows wall, a living room... I payed around 300$ for a room worth 1599$ a night!!! That's good service!! (Celine Dion was even there once I was told by the concierge). Only downside... The in-room service breakfast I called cost me 50$ for a little plate of fruits, one muffin, one brioche and 2 cups of coffee.. But I wouldn't have cared less! Overall, I was more than impressed by W Montreal!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed 30 March 2009

Stepping inside the W Hotel in Montreal is like entering a nightclub- dim lighting, chic ultra-modern decor and pulsating techno music welcome you 24 hours a day. If this is your thing, you'll love it! The rooms look like they were furnished straight out of a West Elm catalog. Once your eyes adjust to the dim light, you'll find Bliss bath products that smell so yummy that I had to immediately call down to the front desk for more. The W stands for "whatever, whenever." While we didn't take true advantage of that service, we did find that the front desk folks were friendly and helpful. And the concierge gave us excellent restaurant recommendations and ideas of things to see and do around the city. The W hotel is not the warmest, coziest place, but it's very clean, fairly well located (8 minute walk to Old Montreal) and if you're looking for something different, you might give it a try.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple