“Awesome Evening”

Price range: US$4 - US$41
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Portuguese, Canadian, Fusion, Wine Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Description: Mediterranean Style Comfort Food. Unpretentious and relaxed atmosphere. Wine, Champagne, Oysters, Cocktails and good Food.
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The wife and I were in Montreal for the weekend and had read some Trip Advisor reviews for this restaurant so decided to stop by on a Friday night of a long weekend. The restaurant was half full that evening so no problems to accomodate us without a reservation. We are not fans of seafood but there was plenty of options available to us. The service was amazing since the owners are the ones running the restaurant and kitchen. One of my best restaurant experiences so far.

1  Thank Mutler
There are newer reviews for Sel Gras Restaurant

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Our first trip to Montreal and we checked Trip Advisor for restaurants. We we were coming from the USA and wanted to change after eating in so many Asian and Italian restaurants, both in Montreal and the US. We were not disappointed by Sel Gras. Excellent friendly and unpretentious service. Food was excellent. Definitely to recommend.

2  Thank Carcellera
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Our first trip to Montreal so I checked Trip Advisor for restaurants. Picked Sel Gras and was very happy with my choice. Every entrée and appetizer our party of 4 had was excellent. Even the wine we had was outstanding (Mas de Libian Cotes du Rhone Villages Khayyam). One of my favorite meals anywhere.

3  Thank dgilfor
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

My partner and I loved our evening at Sel Gras. Both Montreal natives we have had some stunning meals around the City over the years and Sel Gras is at the top of the list.

We shared the Truffle infused salad with mozzarella di bufala and Red tuna tartare as appetizers. Both dishes were loaded with flavor and texture.
Next we devoured "steak de cerf" and miso marinated black cod. Both were rich and wonderfully paired with the wine our server recommended.

Finally we were completely stuffed but, could not resist the charm and allure of the "Bola de Berlin" the people at a nearby table were having. We will be returning for brunch also in the very near future and looking forward to seeing what they have in store for us.

On a final note, the service was professional and passionate without being pretentious. We truly could appreciate our waiters level of knowledge and professionalism with and ability to make us feel at ease.

You will LOVE Sel Gras and don't forget to make a reservation the place gets busy fast.

3  Thank Jennybelly
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The restaurant aspires to offer sophisticated modern food, but there are obviously serious lacunes in the kitchen.
We went there, for lunch. The waiter was very attentive and offered us some bread (which surprisingly had a hint of cinnamon taste, which would have been great for brunch but not with the food that was to come.
We split an appetizer of Tuna tartar. It was topped by an unbreakable fried mini pita bread. The fish was lost in so much dressing and avocado that we could not tell it was tuna anymore.
I then followed with a cold cream of carrot and ginger with nordic shrimps. It was bland and the chewy shrimps sadly did everything but add interest to the soup, to the point that we did not even eat the third of it and left out all the shrimps.
My husband ordered their chicken liver terrine crème brûlée style. What does it say about a dish when you only eat the garnishes?
I then had their leg of duck confit. It was not properly prepared: it still had fat pockets of fat under the skin. It looked more like a roasted leg of duck which tasted good, but was not what one should expect of a duck confit. As for the vegetables they were overly salty and glistening with fat (hence the name of the restaurant?). My husband had the salmon served with rice and clams. The fish was bland and the rice looked like it was spooned out of a chicken soup. What was the direction of that dish? I still can't tell.

I don't know what this restaurant hopes to bring to the Montreal restaurant scene, and I hope for their sake it was just a bad day in the kitchen. As for me, it was a total waste of time and money.

3  Thank Nancy M
selgrasrestaurant, Owner at Sel Gras Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. At Sel Gras we aspire to offer refined comfort food. The chef owner Marco gives a little bit of himself in every dish he concocts for us in the kitchen and there are strict guidelines that need to be followed. That ‘lacunes’occured in the kitchen; as annoying as it is to admit, can happen. "Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." Again, I’m so sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. That was truly not our intention. We really appreciate your feedback, and hope you do give us the chance to make it right.
If you come back to our restaurant I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please ask for me Matthieu. If you ever have any questions or comments or if there is anything we can do to help remedy your experience you can send me an e-mail. We hope to see you again in the future to see for yourselves where we have improved and wish you the very best.