“IMPECCABLE BRUNCH ”

Price range: US$4 - US$39
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Portuguese, Canadian, Fusion, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Description: Mediterranean Style Comfort Food. Unpretentious and relaxed atmosphere. Wine, Champagne, Oysters, Cocktails and good Food.
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We had brunch here last weekend and boy was is great. We live in the area and decided to try it out. We were not disappointed! The GRAVLAX was to DIE FOR and the tomato salad and sausage salad were also amazing. The French toast was covered in chocolate and another sauce!

We had some family visiting also and the server was very sweet with my niece and made a special kids dish just for her. Really love that special attention. And going back next weekend for sure!!

1  Thank Jennybelly

Reviewed 1 August 2014

The service was great but that was it... The tuna tartar was so full of mayo that I could not test in anyway the tuna nor the other ingredients. I had the sea bass after which was very plain... The portion of fish was really small and was heavily missing of salt! The rest of the plate was neglected and had no outstanding taste what so ever. The service was too quick too... We were not even ask if we wanted dessert!

1  Thank Annie B
selgrasrestaurant, Owner at Sel Gras Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2014

Hello Annie, I would like to thank you for your feedback. Our Chef owner prides himself in offering the highest quality of ingredients in all his dishes. We are always saddened that someone’s visit failed expectation. It is disappointing that you could not taste the tuna in the tartar as it is one of our most popular and appreciated dish by so many of our customers. Sometimes by returning your dish to the kitchen you help us become aware that a mistake has taken place, and we are always grateful for that. Please take the time to contact me; I (Matthieu) would really like the opportunity to show you the kind of service and food we normally provide, without disappointment. All the best!

Reviewed 25 July 2014

After reading the reviews for this restaurant we came here for our anniversary dinner. We had a reservation for 7pm on a Thursday night, and were a little put off that there was only one other occupied table at this time - surely a restaurant this good would be packed out! We were seated and the service was good. We ordered some drinks - I ordered a cider and my husband ordered a white beer. We ended up switching drinks because I like the white beer so much (and I guess he enjoyed the cider...!).

We both ordered the venison steak. I was feeling a little worried that this restaurant wasn't going to live up to its reviews. There were still only one other table of people there, and the music they were playing didn't match up with the decor in my mind, nor ultimately with the food that we ate! In fact the music is the only thing I would change - everything else was excellent.

When our meals came, they were presented very nicely. Usually I like to put a little of everything on my plate into my mouth at once, to get a mix of all the flavours and textures. I cut a piece of the venison steak and swished it in the brown saucy stuff and put it in my mouth. I started to chew and my mouth was like "NO! DON'T PUT ANYTHING ELSE IN HERE! I AM HAVING THE BEST TIME WITH THIS!".

Everything was amazing. The steak, the sauce, the coleslaw, the potatoes, the brocoflower, the mashed pea goo, all amazing on their own, and spectacular when combined in any combination you can imagine. I was euphoric and couldn't stop smiling the whole time we were eating. Seriously. Best food ever.

The portion sizes were great - not too much, not too little. When we'd finished our mains, we were both very satisfied, but still had room for dessert, which I was overjoyed to know they had a menu for (as their main menu didn't include desserts). The waiter brought over a cute little chalkboard and went through our four options with us. We selected the donut-thing and the chocolate brownie. They were both delicious and different. The sauce with the donut was to die for - some sort of berry thing with some sort of chocolate thing. The texture of the donut was most excellent. The brownie was rich and delicious, and came with natural yoghurt and sliced poached pear - an excellent combination!

After we'd finished our MOST AMAZING MEAL EVER, I used their washroom and was impressed by its cleanliness and decor. We were also admiring the black bar and the lighting throughout the restaurant. Again, the only thing that didn't sit right with us was the music, everything else was first class!

I will be recommending Sel Gras to all of my friends, and we will definitely be coming back as often as possible.

2  Thank Sarah R
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I knew when I tasted the salad that it was going to be a special meal. Interesting, tasty food, good service, reasonably priced. Everything at the table was delicious.

2  Thank springer15
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The night was meant for a quiet sip of wine over delicious Portuguese fare to celebrate a rare evening in this wonderful city. Instead it turned out to be a crowded, happy restaurant full of plain people enjoying the ambiance and great food of this Euro centric establishment. It was so busy that we had to sit at the bar and savour a cocktail while we waited for our table but decided to stay at the bar and eat because the staff/owner at the bar was so personable and we enjoyed being close and not on the far side of a table from one another. The food, the wine, the care and the service were great. We both had the savory Cornish hen which was very very well balanced with flavor and a very good bottle of Portuguese Dao. Very comfortable and even though they were incredibly busy the service was rapid and organized.

4  Thank pegasuspg