“No regrets!”
Review of Hotel Dorion

Hotel Dorion
Ranked #145 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 17 July 2012

After reading some of these reviews, I was a bit hesitant to book with Hotel Dorion, but the price and location made me curious enough to look into it. Glad I did! Hotel Dorion allowed me to book each night at a time (I planned to stay 4 nights in Montreal) so if at anytime I was not happy with the service/room I had no commitment to stay. Not only was the staff extremely friendly and helpful in suggesting things to do around town, my room was clean, quiet and had all I needed to make my stay comfortable. After my 4th night, I stayed 2 extra nights! I will definately come back to Hotel Dorion next trip out to Montreal and will definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank N F

Reviewed 7 December 2011

Plain and simple: WHAT A DUMP!
It's one of those hotels on a sketchy side street, with the front desk behind a glass barrier. The rooms smell, are very tiny, and need renovations. Not to mention walking down these hallways thru the laundry room, past some pathetic TV lounge etc.
The only positive aspect is the location, but other than that?.... DON'T BOTHER!!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank P B
Reviewed 23 October 2011

A hotel is a somewhere you go to feel comfortable during the overnight hours of your vacation/business trip or get away. In this case, Montreal for the weekend with my significant other. "Hotel" Dorion, is not a hotel. The only way in which it resembles a hotel is there are rooms with 4 walls made up of physical matter and filled with oxygen. (Oxygen with a, lets say, unique, smell to it.) There are 1000 reasons to not stay here, I'll present them in logical order.

Upon arriving, you'll quickly learn there is NO parking area. You have to park on the street surrounding the hotel. Not an uncommon thing in Montreal, although in this case, you get to feel a bit uneasy about the young men standing on the corner of Rue Dorion running his " business" watching you unload your suitcases from your vehicles at 10:00pm, hoping that your vehicle will still be there in the morning.

When you make your way to the entrance, you will then get to "buzz in" to gain access to the "hotel", nothing makes you feel more welcomed as a guest then having to buzz into your hotel. If you're granted access, you walk up the staircase which is basically an apartment building up to the 2nd level where "reception" is. Get use to my quoting of words, as what you traditionally expect from a hotel, you won't find here. So when you get upstairs to check in, the front desk worker basically verified we had an reservation, confirmed we had prepaid for it, ( which if it hadn't been, we'd have turned around a left before even seeing our "One bedroom suite". ) So he hands us a key, says your room is this way, and off we go. Strolling through this apartment building style "hotel" wondering what we've gotten ourselves into.

We arrive at our door, look at each other, and just stake our heads, as we know what to expect just from our first impression of Hotel Dorion. (3 minutes since we got out of our car) So we open the door to find,.. why don't I just summarize to save you some time before you begin looking for another hotel as you sit at your computer. (I beg of you)

- The smell hits you in the face.
- Room is tiny, bed in the middle of the room, night stand. Old beat up TV. Lamp. Nothing more.
- Bathroom off that room, door is one more opening away from falling off the hinges.
- No soap in the bathroom.
- Towels, while folded ( bravo ) look 15 years old.
- The toilet itself, lets just say its a squatting situation.
- The carpet in the room is filthy. kept our shoes on.
- The Bed sheets. Yeah, we didn't find out. One look at the bed and I was infinitely thankful my significant other packed a sheet. We laid it over the entire bed, and slept on that, arms at our sides because it still felt so dirty. The bedspread was stained, again, 15+ years old.
- Old, old, stinky, dirty, old, old. Yuck.

That's basically how it can be summed up. We are a younger couple, we don't have extremely high expectations of hotels, as we don't travel much. A holiday inn, best western, totally fine hotels. $100-$140 dollar a night range is totally fine with us. ( This was $85 ) However, there are SIMPLE. BASIC. Things anyone would expect from a hotel that this place simple CANNOT provide. Comfort, BASIC amenities, cleanliness. Dorion has none of it.

We had unfortunately booked for SEVERAL days, a couple hundred bucks we gladly flushed down the crapper that is Hotel Dorion after the first night. Our flight was in late that evening, and really just needed to crash.

ALSO: Please, please, please know. That the positive reviews on trip advisor are CLEARLY phony. Most definitely created by an employee/owner to create a rouse so people will give Dorion a chance. People have said they'll only stay here when traveling to Montreal, clean rooms, friendly staff ( they weren't unfriendly, but the whole business lacks any customer service. ) All of it is complete crap. I mean this with no disrespect, but if I were homeless, I would SERIOUSLY consider the street over this establishment.

A few things in closing. You can read some reviews here about the hotel being above a strip club. Fact. Also it is used regularly for prostitution. While we saw a few " candidates" who were checking in right behind us, likely for the "hourly" rate that is clearly advertised right at the front desk, I can't confirm this, but it's a safe bet. We obviously did our best to basically lock ourselves in our room to avoid seeing anything else that would make us cringe.

We eventually went batshit crazy in our room laughing about the whole situation, and decided there and then that we'd be writing this in hopes of saving other unsuspecting people their money, and time.

In closing, we rolled the dice and used a third party site to book this hotel (expedia, hot wire , etc ) SHAME ON THEM for advertising/partnering with an establishment like this. For real? I understand there are such things as 1 and 1/2, and 2 star hotels, but that's not what this is, it's a dump. That third party site lost our business for all future travels, and I planned on contacting them formally as well.

SFD (still fells dirty)

Room Tip: Click on your firefox/internet explorer. Type www.Google.ca , in the search bar, type "Hotels i...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank TAS84
Reviewed 12 September 2011

How does one describe Hotel Dorion??

This was my FIRST trip to Quebec and Montreal, being on a super toght budget, I was looking around for a hoetl which would fill the bill.

Hotel Dorion caught my eye.

Hotel Dorion is right in the heart of Montreal's Gay Village. Having this been my first trip to Montreal I had no clue as to what to expect, let alone using my rusty French I took way back in 1974.

The staff at Dorion are wondeful,and the manager of the hotel was incredibly helpful at setting things up for me.

Dorion is easy to get to by the Metro (Subway) once you get your bearings coming in from the Montreal train station, get off at Papineau stn, BUT look for Rue Dorion on the left side of the subway exit and you will see a Metro grocery store.

The rooms are clean mostly quiet and very no frills especially on the 2nd floor as it is an older part of the hotel.

If anyone is one a budget and looking for an affordable place in the heart of Montreal, this is a little gem. I would STRONGLY advise knowing some basics in French is a BIG HELP and will go far

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank pmartelToronto
Reviewed 4 June 2011

It was really a guess to choose from the many hotels especially when you have never been in Montréal. But o la la, what a friendly hotel and a good bunch of people working there. They even help you with your French. Always coffee available, rooms are okay. Very pleasant shower. In the common room you can eat your own food; fridge, toaster and microwave can be used . If you want your clothes will be washed for just $ 6 (€ 4,50). If you don't need a fancy hotel this is the one for you! Leave the hotel and there is a nice square with trees from where you can get buses and the metro. When we left the manager told us that she would going to miss us. Who doesn't want to come back to an hotel like that?

Room Tip: just ask which are available
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HansNiemeijer
Reviewed 5 August 2010

I have been to Montreal several times before, and just found out about the Hotel Dorion. I like to stay in the Gay Village, and found the Hotel Dorion to be the best deal and nicest place. It is in a great location across from the Metro and near all the nightlife and good restaurants. The hotel is very clean with fresh sheets and towels, nice rooms, free WiFi and a coffee and breakfast lounge. Breakfast is available for free on weekends. The staff made the stay for me. They are very friendly, helpful and accommodating and speak English well. On future visits to Montreal, I will now stay only at the Hotel Dorion.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank Coolpawpads
Reviewed 28 July 2010

During my annual trips to Montreal, I always stay at the Hotel Dorion, which is located in the Gay Village near the Metro. I enjoy the friendly staff that always treats their customers with the utmost courtesy. The manager, Joanne, in particular, goes out-of-her-way to make sure that my stay at the hotel is a pleasurable experience. The staff is very helpful in providing information about things to do in Montreal, including restaurants, directions and tourist attractions. The room is always clean with fresh linen and towels, and a pot of coffee is always brewing. I would recommend the Hotel Dorion to anyone looking for an economical, friendly and convenient place to stay in the Gay Village.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple