“Oh so close to the village!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Dorion

Hotel Dorion
Hotel Dorion
Ranked #123 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
“Oh so close to the village!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here during Pride Montreal. It was less than two blocks from the Village. The staff was very cordial. The rooms were clean. Also it was less than a block from a grocery store. The only con I can think of was the wifi connection. But the con was small because if you're on vacation you don't want to spend all of your time on your phone or the computer. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Kevin P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

My co-worker and I stayed at Hotel Dorion a couple weekends ago. They stole my passport and one of their staff was caught at the border with it. I am well traveled and always keep me passport in the same place. They deliberately went into our room and took it out of a zipped pocket in my bag. Do not stay at this hotel if you want to be safe in Montreal. It is also cramped and their service is poor, on top of hosting criminals on their staff and people who hate Americans. Go figure.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
16 Thank MahinaHokuLani

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

Its a gay dirty place, prostitutes running around, the place smells very bad, its a disgrace, there is no sign of a jacuzzi or a whirlpool.... Very disappointed, such a bad experience in Montreal, thank god we had friends here where we could stay.... I rather would sleep on the street than at this hotel. Very scary area, drug addicts everywhere, please DONT EVER BOOK A ROOM THERE!!! Stay away from this place!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank anette v
Rugby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

The Hotel Dorion was like home away from home

It was my first time in Montreal, and based upon a friend’s recommendation, I recently stayed at the Hotel Dorion in the Gay Village and absolutely loved it!  It is in a great location near St. Catherine Street and across from the Papineau Metro station. My friend, who is a Montreal regular, steered me well.  The staff at the Hotel Dorion was fantastic, helpful and friendly.  I stayed in the new section of the hotel, and my room was clean, airy and comfortable with a refrigerator and plenty of space.  Many good restaurants, bars and clubs were in easy walking distance.  The Hotel Dorion staff gave me some great suggestions about good places to eat and to go out.  Joanne, the hotel manager is a real gem.  She is a really nice lady who was especially helpful and friendly. She and the rest of the Hotel Dorion made me feel like I was at home away from home.  I will definitely stay there again when I return to Montreal.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank zoomzoomboyuk
Chicopee, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

For a small quaint hotel, the Dorion is not only worth the price, but has gained my extended business through friends that visit Montreal often. The Hotel Manager, Joanne is so friendly, with a great sense of humor. She monitors guests daily and adds her own unique flair and comedy to make her guests feel welcomed and part of her family. We often stay in the newer section of the hotel and have never had any problems. This hotel like many in the village adds the extra security to be buzzed in to keep strangers that do not belong away from other guests. The Hotel Dorion desk is always manned as a good security feature compared to the Hotel Felix that provides no service after 9PM but provides a door code to anyone who wants it allowing anyone to enter. Hotel Dorion offers limited parking to guests that request and book in advance on a first come first served basis until full. Long term parking tends to be an issue in the village area. Although this hotel is at the end of the village, it is a short walk to any bar or restaurant. We have booked over 5 rooms for the Black & Blue Festival in October with the Hotel Dorion and recommend this Hotel for value, cleanliness and service.

Room Tip: For a light sleeper, it is recommended to request an inner room to reduce noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Jefferey V
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012

I have stayed at the Dorion more than 20 times over the last 10 years or so and I keep coming back, indeed wouldn't go anywhere else in the area of the Village. Although it's only a two-star hotel and thus lacks some of the amenities available at larger (and more expensive) establishments, I find it economical, friendly, helpful, safe, clean and quiet. Once inside the security of the outside door, I have never met anyone or been in a situation that I found unpleasant, inappropriate, anxiety producing or threatening. It's admirably located for both wandering to the establishments of the Gay Village while via the adjacent Papineau Metro Station and surface buses, the rest of the city is quickly and easily accessible. A large, well-stocked supermarket shares the same block and there are many interesting restos in the area, complementing the gay bars and clubs, one of which is downstairs from the hotel (even in the coldest winter you can dash from one to the other sans coat). I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank poolman17
Northampton,Ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

I have not found better hotel hospitality and service from a smaller in town hotel since the original owner of Hotel Felix(he's no longer there & their horrible service prompted me to find Hotel Dorion). Hotel Dorion's Manager, Joanne is fantastic ! Since Hotel Felix has lost not only my business,but the business of many of my friends who come to Montreal village often;The Dorion has welcomed our business with open arms! Recently for pride weekend,i believe we booked nearly the entire half of the newly rennovated section of the hotel. Every one of my friends had their own room and all of us felt that we were treated like family! In today's world that is an extremely rare feeling to have in any hotel,especially in a smaller hotel without the bells and whistles & glitz! They more than made up for all of that by treating us as "special". It's absolutely highly reccommended to any budget minded traveler. The owner,manager,staff were all very friendly. It was very clean as well. I will continue to send friends there. In fact we have 7 rooms already ooked for Black & Blue event in October--possibly more! Service matters! Other hotels dont get that! Hotel Dorion gets it right every time!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper like i am,please ask for an "inner room" away from the street...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends