“Best farmer's market I've been to yet!”
Review of Jean-Talon Market

and up
Beyond the Market Food Tour in Montreal
Ranked #8 of 421 things to do in Montreal
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Wish I had found this spot on one of my previous trips to Montreal. Tons of produce, much of it local. We bought delicious white peaches and a country-style blueberry pie for dessert. Nice place to walk around with your family and explore. Reminds me a bit of Ottawa's byward market.

1  Thank Canadalalala
Write a ReviewReviews (1,432)

Reviewed 10 August 2011

By word of mouth, I found this open air market. What a find! We were staying in Montreal for 9 days so finding a place for fresh foods including fruits and vegetables was a treat. You'll want to look around before buying just to get an ideal of what is in season and generally what the going prices are. I found the fruit to be fabulous (strawberries and raspberries were in season!) and tucked to the side was a fresh pasta store. Yum -- we dined on fresh spinach/ricotta raviolia and bought some tortellini for another evening. I highly recommend a stop at this market.

2  Thank rstwohee
Reviewed 31 July 2011

A wonderful large market on the northern edge of the city. Perfect way to explore food culture and people watch.

2  Thank Jennifer35
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The day we were leaving Montreal for our dirve home we decided to detour and go to the Jean-Talon Market...boy am I glad we did. The market has so much to offer...fresh everything!!!!! We had crepes at Creperie du Marche for lunch...they were great!! Don't forget to walk the perimeter as you will find the "market stores" full of interesting items..we came home loaded with jams and honey all products of Quebec. The fruits and veggies in the market were so fresh, so when I got home and went to the store here I was sorely disappointed and wished we had a similar market here. Enjoy the day.

1  Thank aedrbf
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We went to Montreal with another couple for 4 days and started the first day out at the Jean-Talon Market. I can't compare it to the other markets but will say we felt like it was a GREAT choice.
The first stall that greeted us was seafood and my friend and I ended up having an amazing raw oyster breakfast first thing. They shucked them there and provided lemon and hot sauce. From there we wandered to crepes for a more traditional breakfast for the boys.
We stayed in an appartment and ended up picking up bread, cheese, fruit, cream and sausage for the house as well as a meat pie. In addition we found some amazing macaroons. Our friends also brought some rubarb and blueberry juice for gifts. Everyone was friendly and helpful.
I didn't feel like there were as many bread options as I'd hoped for and from reading reviews before hand I expected more of a variety of samples. The samples were primariy fruits/vegetables and fruit juices.
I'd plan for at least 2-3 hours and could easily have stayed longer.