“Fresh and Beautiful Market Place”
Review of Jean-Talon Market

and up
Beyond the Market Food Tour in Montreal
Ranked #7 of 421 things to do in Montreal
Reviewed 14 July 2014

First attraction we did when we got into Montreal. We didn't buy any fruits or vegatables but everything was so fresh and colorful. The displays and selections was amazing! There was some fruit sampling. We did some souvenir shopping (teas, and syrups) and great to see alot of other markets inside the tents like a tea shop, and bakeries. We also stopped here for lunch before going to check in our hotel. Our friend had tacos, and we had beef empanadas. There was other selections like crepes, or seafood.

1  Thank jumpforjoy10
Write a ReviewReviews (1,432)

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This place was simply amazing. While staying with a friend, I Bixi'd my way to Marché Jean-Talon on a Sunday morning for breakfast and some shopping. The food selection was great, especially the number of raw milk cheeses. If I wouldn't have had to fly home to Winnipeg, I'm sure I could have spend hundreds of dollars on cheese, cider, beer, maple syrup and fresh fruits and vegetables.

This is a great place to shop and a great place to hang out. The alleyway shops that surround it feel like they are basically part of the market, so there is a lot to see and do.

Be careful about Bixi'ing to the market. It is very popular, and I lucked out and got the only open space in the rack. Make sure you have the Bixi app on your phone so that you can find an open parking space nearby if the rack at the market is full.

I would kill for a market like this in Winnipeg.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife comes from Montreal, and her parents and immigrant grandparents shopped here, regularly buying entire flats of fresh food to take home and preserve.
I heard so much about this place that I came here about 12 years ago to explore the secret of how a farmers and fresh market had such a huge customer base and sold food at such good prices; my hope was to take those ideas back to Toronto.
Most of the arguments in my e-book, Food for City Building, are confirmed by this market. First, it enlivens the neighborhood around it; contrary to the complaints of many, even competing businesses in the immediate area do better when there's a vital public market. Indeed, it's a magnet for cheese, and butcher shops.
Having a market in a public space (rather than a supermarket in a private space) means there's lots of variety for everyone. Montreal, for example, has many immigrants from French-speaking Africa, and their foods are visible and popular here, educating the general population about the traditions of a major population group in the city. You won't find that in a supermarket.
There's a bookstore here, as well as places selling houseplants and flowers, which belong with food, properly defined, at least as much as all the non-food packaged stuff that fills the aisles of supermarkets.
Local products get featured here, again something that rarely happens in supermarkets, which source globally. Check out the maple syrup stand, for example.
Although local is featured, the mood is not narrow-minded, When I was there in June, there was a contest for the best international recipe using local ingredients.
There are lots of places to buy ready-to-eat food, so I would suggest coming fairly hungry.
I would like to see a bit more prominence for organic foods, and , as in many farmers markets, for displays by community groups, which bring the community right into the store.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

A great place to visit with outstanding food stalls, many fruit, flower and vegetable vendors. Nice place for lunch. Not far from Jean Talon metro stop

1  Thank rtala34
Reviewed 28 June 2014

About two miles north of downtown Montreal there is a fun outdoor (but covered) market called the Marche Jean-Talon. Stalls and stalls of produce, flowers, and specialty products. The market is lined with specialty shops selling items such as olive oil, tea, imported gourmet food, meats, etc. Inside the market area is a creperie stand which sells delicious gluten-free crepes. There's also a smoothie bar. There was plenty of room to walk around so it didn't feel crowded. We couldn't resist getting dessert at the Havre aux Glaces, where options included a summer special: Hibiscus and cardamom! If I lived nearby, I would visit this place several times a week!

1  Thank Marieeddy9