“Overall a great bet”

Biiru
Ranked #236 of 5,668 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Quartier des Spectacles
“Overall a great bet”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This Japanese pub on a quite street in the middle of downtown but the atmosphere inside is happenning, relaxed and trendy but not so loud that we can't hear each other talk.. great place for 5@7... Also they have a nice terrace that is shielded from the street.
Drinks and food are reasonably priced. Food is the portion of a tapas and price ranges from 7-15$. so 2-3 dishes to make a meal.
We visited twice and tried several dishes
My favorites: the soba noodles, Pork ribs, beef ribs, kit Kat brownie
Good: Japanese ravioli, japadog, chirashi,
OK: fried chicken
We wanted to tempura, but unfortunately not available when we were there. The quality vs value is good. We will be back to try more dishes and was told that this place is open at lunch from Tuesday-Friday.

• Visited June 2014

Montreal, Canada
“Has potential but some areas should be improved”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My friends and I are big ramen and japadog lovers so we tried Biiru the other day. Our experience was so-so. Considering the hype surrounding this place, we were a little disappointed.

We were mostly let down with the ramen and japadogs. For the ramen, the broth could have used more seasoning and fat. This isn't an uncommon finding: ramen in Montreal tends to have the same problem. (Taste the difference when you go to Toronto, New York, Vancouver or Japan.) At 15$, it's also pricier than the average Montreal ramen and sadly, you don't feel that you get your money's worth. The japadogs were OK but also could have used more seasoning; the portion is good though.

On the plus side, the mushroom okonomiyaki was good as were the ribs. Our favourite dish was the karaage which the whole table wolfed down rapidly.

Decor is cute and has that fusion isakaya look down to a T. Good ambiance with a clearly young base clientele. It's quite small so reservations are highly recommended. Service is friendly and efficient.

Judging by the lukewarm tone of this review, you're probably guessing that something's up. Well, my main complaint is that it's overpriced: standard ramen at 15$ (extra 6$ if you add foie gras), draft Sapporo at 9.50$, etc. My meal (which included two dishes and a beer) nearly cost me 50$ when you include tax and tip. When you go to an izakaya, you expect comforting, reasonably priced food since the idea is to return often, for example after work. Ultimately, I didn't receive my money's worth. And trust me, I really wanted to like this restaurant.

On a final note, keep in mind that Biiru is still relatively new. The potential is definitely there.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank Hiriza33
“Amazing place loved it!!!”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Went for dinner last night with my wife at Biiru, we loved the decor as soon as we walked in ,we were seated by the window which was a great seat, the waitress came to our table and gave us some recommendations on the specialty cocktails, they were absolutely delicious ,we had the daruma and the raijin they were served in marie antoinette style glasses, we then had the gyozas (japanese ravioli) so yummy perfectly cooked and delicious sauce ,then came the wakame salad an amazing fresh citrus salad, and we finished with as chirashi and there famous pork ribs it was finger licking good.

Hope they keep it up ,we will certainly be back

L.

• Visited May 2014
Kashid, India
“Amazing and refreshing experience!”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I love mangas, i love sumos, i love Japanese food but i have had it with sushi! That’s why i was skeptical of Biiru and really though it would be yet another up and coming snobby raw fish joint (i have nothing per se against the fish or the raw fish and all the benefits they provide, i just think its overdone).... Another thing that is overdone is the duck face selfies and I’m sure you have seen that Biiru is a fine promoter of these! So i was really skeptical when i first walked in the resto.... AND THEN, EVERYTHING CHANGED. Mangas were plastered all over the walls, the staff was relaxed, friendly and attentive, and plates that made me drewl were flying left and right in front of me. i was getting excited and forgot all about my self-imposed prejudices. Obviously we over-ordered not knowing where to cut in the menu options. Everything was honestly amazing and tasted way better than i would ever have expected (i went twice so far, once at night and once at noon and both times food was served rapidly, warm and great). I strongly recommend Biiru, for its food, ambiance and sake bombs, but mostly for its food, ambiance and sake bombs!!! Also, i have to admit that i took a duck face selfy in the bathroom and never told anyone about it....

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Simon T
Montreal, Canada
“Overall not completely hopeless but disappointing in a lot of areas”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Food was generally ok, but overpriced. I don't mind paying more for good food and service but it just didn't seem worth it for the most part. Chirashi Zushi ($14) seemed to lack sashimi and its rice was soaked in too much sauce. Mushroom Okonomiyaki ($12) was a good thin-type okonomiyaki, and I was glad to see a mushroom-themed dish. Agedashi Tofu was tiny but tasty.

Service was sub-par. People at my table were served at completely different times, some getting their appetizers after others had already gotten their main dishes. One person never got her tea ($4), and had to remind the server who then blamed the bar staff. I understand that Izakayas typically don't have a concept of dinner courses, but this restaurant is clearly fusion and has certain menu items labelled as appetizers so one would assume they come first, ideally with or soon after initial drinks are served (especially since they don't serve otooshii with drinks). The slower/off beat service was made worse by the fact that our reservation had a time limit of sorts, meaning people who got their dishes late needed to leave the restaurant soon after being finished eating.

Restaurant design and decor itself is nice, but it's quite drafty and cold likely due to poor entrance design. The "interior" door of the entrance often stayed open, apparently lacking a proper mechanism to stay closed.

These fusion Izakayas keep popping up all over town trying so hard to recreate the Japanese pub-dining experience but they all seem to miss the mark in the most fundamental areas: reasonably priced food and drinks with great customer service. Biiru is still quite new and may yet improve on these factors as time passes. One can hope at least, but if I do return it certainly won't be for a while.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Eric B
khouinzo, Owner at Biiru, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Eric,

I wanted to thank you for your detailed post and thank your for the precious information you were able to share. it is really constructive for us.

I m was pretty confused reading your message. It seemed like your post doesn t reflect the mark you gave us at the end. I'm glad you expressed your fair opinion about the food and liked most of it.

As being an izakaya, there s no main course, or first course. The concept behind that is, bringing the plates to the table as soon as they re ready. The idea is having a bunch of dishes (tapas) in the middle of the table and sharing all'em! Most of our costumers are really familiar with the concept. I agree that maybe we should explain it better at the table while the order is taken.

The reason why the first section of the menu is called "appetizers and salads" is because it is the best way to regroup salads, gyoza and small soup in the same section. If you have a better name in mind, please, feel free to share.

I wanted to thank you for the nice comments regarding the food. it's appreciated. According to the elements you highlighted concerning the food (chirashi), I guess you visited biiru during our first week of activity. we fixed those problems already. (amount of sauce for chirashi and amount of rice).

Sorry for the tea that didn't make it to the table! i'll be happy to offer it during your next visit!

Thanks again,