“Spacious rooms with kitchen”

Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville
Ranked #77 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed with my family here. Was a good experience. This is a good place to stay if you want to have cost effective accommodation in Downtown Montreal close to Old Montreal.

Pros
- very close to old Montreal
- spacious rooms with living rooms and kitchen
- you will be able to cook in the kitchen and save a lot of money
- value for money accommodation

Cons
- not a fancy hotel
- extra $25 for 24 hours parking
- rooms will be cleaned only ones a week

• Stayed: April 2014
Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear AlexSantiago0,
We would like to thank you for giving us your feedback on your stay at the hotel. We are happy to see that you have enjoyed your time in Montreal and that the room was convenient for your family. Again thank you for your kind words and we hope to see you next time you come visit Montreal. Sincerely, Julie S.-Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We spent two weeks at this hotel and had a very pleasant stay. The room was nice, spacious, and very clean. The beds were really comfortable, and the furniture, although a bit dated, was still in good condition and comfortable as well. The kitchen was properly equipped and quite practical. Finally, the bathroom was large, with sufficient counter space and plenty of towels.

The staff was friendly and helpful. Even though housekeeping is on a weekly basis, you can exchange your towels (and/or sheets) for new ones as often as you want. There is a small convenience store where you can get the basics and a laundry room with modern and clean washers and dryers (which are free to use by the way).

As for the noise and the partying other reviewers complained about, we only had to cope with that kind of annoyance for one night: the rest of the time, we often had the feeling we were the only guests on our floor.

The only thing about the hotel we did not like was the gym: it is well-equipped, but there is a pretty bad chemical smell in there. We actually chose not to work out in that room because of the poor air quality. They should seriously consider having a better ventilation system.

Altogether, we would not hesitate to recommend this hotel (unless a usable gym is an absolute must for you). The location is also excellent (within easy walking distance of Old Montreal, Chinatown, the downtown shopping area …), although we would not recommend going out alone at night on some of the neighbouring streets.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Liveinpeace
Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Liveinpeace,
We would like to thank for your kind review on your recent stay at the Candlewood Suites Montreal. We are happy to see that you enjoyed your time with us. We appreciate your comments and this way we can improve the little things that didn't go so well during your stay. We will follow up with Maintenance concerning the issue with the gym. Thank you again and we hope to see you next time you come to the city. Sincerely, Julie S. - Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Came here for a bachelor party. We booked a suite with two rooms and two Queen beds. We ended up getting a single room with two doubles. Called front desk and they switched us to another room that was the same but with a pull out couch. Didn't really solve our problem.

The rooms are actually relatively clean. The beds suck and the pillows are terrible. When I first walked in and saw the lobby I was very unimpressed. Horribly ugly. Service and staff were nice. Bunch of kids at this hotel that think they are cool but are idiots, arrogant and rude. Nothing staff can do about that but they tried by have a security guard in the lobby. Will I come back, likely not. Better hotels for same price.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Paolo182002
Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Hello Paolo182002,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay at the hotel. We do our best to honor the type of room on every reservations and when it is book on a third party website the room type are not guaranteed. In the coming months we will be doing some improvement such as, new pillows and new beddings for the rooms. We appreciate your feedback and take in consideration your comments to better improve our service. Sincerely, Julie S. – Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We spend 6 nights at this hotel last week as part of a group travelling to Montreal for a National level sports competition. Our athletes wake up early -5am is normal and often get home late -9/10pm. When we get back to the hotel the athletes need to eat and sleep and that is why we book hotels with kitchen suites and why we chose Candlewood. I have to say I was very disappointed in the hotel. They should not book groups like ours knowing that we will encounter the type of problems and issues that come with groups at hotels alongside the 'party' boys! I don't know where to start but in the name of brevity I will say on the first night we had 4 police cruisers at the hotel after one of our chaperones was punched in the face when he verbally confronted a young man who had just 'mooned' (front and back) one of our 12 year old athletes...one of the young women I was chaperoning came to me to report a 'blunt' in her room - I took pictures - either the cleaning staff is getting high while cleaning (I hardly blame them as the condition some of these rooms were left in was gross) or not doing a very good job...The other mom with whom I was sharing a room had to request a new 'cover' for her bed when she discovered a large white stain (yuk) on the top blanket -- pretty obvious as to what it was and pretty disgusting to say the least! I also took pictures of this...The staff were nice - the rooms were spacious - the kitchen was great to have...no cleaning of the rooms is done while you are there so it is a long visit with no vacuuming or bed making...if you want towels you can get new ones if you bring the old ones to the front desk........we will not be staying there again..oh yes and the parking - first come first serve and not always easy to get a spot!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Eileen B
Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Dear eileentoronto,
My sincere apologies, this was in fact a very unique and awful situation. Being an extended stay hotel, where our guests usually stay for long periods of time and want to have more of a "feel at home" experience. We are very careful of the business we book in our hotel for that reason. We are a limited service hotel with weekly cleaning, which might have not been clarified to you and my apologies. However, this does not excuse some of the cleanliness issues you have mentioned, which will be addressed and followed-up with. I do share with my staff the importance of "above and beyond" service no matter what.
Also, I need to address the "party boy" event, as this was a difficult situation for myself - we can't control business that comes through Expedia and other 3rd party websites. This was not an event that I had encountered before, as the General Manager, I felt it was imperative to call the police officers, not once but twice in order to deal with this unique case and remove the boys from property in order to protect my hotel guests and staff, I also ordered additional security and believe I did everything I could do.
I do understand your concerns and thank you for sharing – It’s unfortunate that your experience wasn’t what our other guests keep coming back for.
In Hospitality,
Céline Diotte
Candlewood Suites Montreal - General Manager

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Descent room but woke up the next morning to a whole bunch of ants crawling in almost every corner of the room, all over the carpet, living room space and entrance to the bathroom. Brought it to the attention of the front desk staff, but all they said was "sorry about that, we will have someone take a look". Lack of remorse shown and even though I had a special rate, they could have done offered something to compensate for that as bugs is an issue of sanitation that I didn't expect to pay for.

• Stayed: March 2014
Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear Charlyyy123,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your stay at the Candlewood Suites. We apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced during your stay. Our Housekeeping manager was already advised of the situation. You can contact us at your convenience to discuss more of the situation that occur. Again we are sorry for the problems that it caused you. Sincerely, Julie S. - Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 23 February 2014

It was my first exposure to the concept of a home like hotel, where you do everything by yourself!
No Room service, concierge, bell boy, daily housekeeping, etc... you know your usual hotel experience.

However, it was sincerely a pleasant one, the 1 bedroom suite was adequate for 2 persons and the fully equipped kitchen can fulfil magic with the right will and attitude. :)

The location is the most important feature as 3 minutes walk to the metro station with endless possibility as long you are within the DT (Down Town) area.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AYousef
Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Hello AYousef,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay. The standard of the brand Candlewood Suites is to offer weekly services to our guest. It allows them to have their privacy. We are glad to hear that the location was convenient for you. I will pass along your comments to the staff.
Again thank you for your review.

Julie S- Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 29 January 2014

This is a "suites" property, which means they only clean your once a week!
Since I booked this as a "3 star hotel" through Hotwire, I was very disappointed.
In my book, hotel has a daily cleaning service.

The fact the staff is very nice, and that the room is spacious and nice is no help
When I am on a busy business trip I do not expect or have the energy to end the day with having to wipe the floor and scrub the toilet

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Hello UpForTravelGuy,

We woul'd like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your stay.The
standard of the brand Candlewood Suites is to offer weekly service to our guests. It allows them to have there privacy and to be environmentally friendly. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Again thank you for your comments.

Julie S.- Guest Service Manager