“Nice location near Chinatown”

Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville
Ranked #78 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
“Nice location near Chinatown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Typical candlewood suites. I stay at candlewood a lot in the states and this one was in line with what I've come to expect. Clean room with kitchen. I was a little disappointed by how the halls smelled smoky bit that is probably to be expected in Montreal. The staff was very friendly and it was nice being able to use US dollars as well as Canadian.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dan B
Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Dan B,
We would like to thank you for giving us your impression on your recent stay at the Candlewood Suites. We are pleased to see that you have enjoyed your time at the hotel and that the location was convenient for you. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you next time you come to Montreal. Sincerely, Julie S.- Guest Service Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Conway, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I have stayed in nicer rooms and stayed in worse. Things about this hotel that you might not expect: 1. No daily room service 2. No breakfast. I did not know this when I booked but this on me as I did not do my due dilligence. Now the daily room cleaning was no big deal and with the mini-kitchen you could easily make your own after you have wandered by a grocer (IGA 2 blocks west (I think)). One thing that you do notice is that there is more dust on things which I account for the rooms getting cleaned 1-2x week. Nothing gross but you do see dust in places like the lamp shades. I did smell cig smoke in my room one day but suppose you can't weed out all the guests that will sneak a smoke in a room. The staff were variably helpful but person who checked me out was super.

Overall the place was a decent value especially for staying so close to downtown conference area but wouldn't go out of my way or pay more to stay here.

Eating Tip: If kung pao is your thing, you are 1-2 blocks from china town with an immense choice of asian food options.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Brad M
Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear AtTheLakeALot,

We would like to thank you for giving us your feedback on your recent stay at the Candlewood Suites. We are pleased to see that the hotel location was convenient for you. The weekly housekeeping is one of the standards of the brand Candlewood Suites and since all the rooms are equipped with a full kitchen we do not have a restaurant at the hotel. The housekeeping department have been advised of the situation that occur in your room and will take care of the problem. Again thank you for your comments and we appreciate your review. Sincerely, Julie S.-Guest Service Manager
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Pros:
- pretty comfortable hotel for the price
- patio windows so can get some fresh air and view on Desjardins center
- room with kitchenette but no included breakfast
- stayed here and nearby Holiday Inn which seem to attract organized tours and bus groups
at least at Candlewood there's no breakfast so no lineup in the morning as it was the case at Holiday

Cons:
- I asked for parking for 1 night, they charged for the whole stay at 22$/day so check your bill and complaint if you ahve to
- about same price as the nearby Holiday Inn (same chain, same owner, same parking) but no breakfast, newspaper, room service
- unless you want to cook it's not a very good deal
- stayed here and nearby Holiday Inn, lots of tours and bus groups
- side street beside the hotel (de Buillion I think) has all kind of strange people hanging around there, and it connects to a depleated part of Ste-Catherine, so just be aware
- lots of construction in the area, although was not loud

Room Tip: not on rRne Levesque could be noisy
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank johnnycalgary
Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear JohnnyCalgary,
I would like to thank you for giving us your review on your stay. The Candlewood Suites Montreal is a long term stay hotel, meaning some of our standards are different from the other hotel that are part of the same chain. We are happy to see that the rooms were convenient for your needs. High season just started and we have a lot of tourists and different clientele that visit the hotel. Again thank you for your comments and we hope to see you next time you come to the city. Sincerely, Julie S.-Guest Service Manager
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed with my family here. Was a good experience. This is a good place to stay if you want to have cost effective accommodation in Downtown Montreal close to Old Montreal.

Pros
- very close to old Montreal
- spacious rooms with living rooms and kitchen
- you will be able to cook in the kitchen and save a lot of money
- value for money accommodation

Cons
- not a fancy hotel
- extra $25 for 24 hours parking
- rooms will be cleaned only ones a week

• Stayed April 2014
Dear AlexSantiago0,
We would like to thank you for giving us your feedback on your stay at the hotel. We are happy to see that you have enjoyed your time in Montreal and that the room was convenient for your family. Again thank you for your kind words and we hope to see you next time you come visit Montreal. Sincerely, Julie S.-Guest Service Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

We spent two weeks at this hotel and had a very pleasant stay. The room was nice, spacious, and very clean. The beds were really comfortable, and the furniture, although a bit dated, was still in good condition and comfortable as well. The kitchen was properly equipped and quite practical. Finally, the bathroom was large, with sufficient counter space and plenty of towels.

The staff was friendly and helpful. Even though housekeeping is on a weekly basis, you can exchange your towels (and/or sheets) for new ones as often as you want. There is a small convenience store where you can get the basics and a laundry room with modern and clean washers and dryers (which are free to use by the way).

As for the noise and the partying other reviewers complained about, we only had to cope with that kind of annoyance for one night: the rest of the time, we often had the feeling we were the only guests on our floor.

The only thing about the hotel we did not like was the gym: it is well-equipped, but there is a pretty bad chemical smell in there. We actually chose not to work out in that room because of the poor air quality. They should seriously consider having a better ventilation system.

Altogether, we would not hesitate to recommend this hotel (unless a usable gym is an absolute must for you). The location is also excellent (within easy walking distance of Old Montreal, Chinatown, the downtown shopping area …), although we would not recommend going out alone at night on some of the neighbouring streets.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Liveinpeace
Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Liveinpeace,
We would like to thank for your kind review on your recent stay at the Candlewood Suites Montreal. We are happy to see that you enjoyed your time with us. We appreciate your comments and this way we can improve the little things that didn't go so well during your stay. We will follow up with Maintenance concerning the issue with the gym. Thank you again and we hope to see you next time you come to the city. Sincerely, Julie S. - Guest Service Manager
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Came here for a bachelor party. We booked a suite with two rooms and two Queen beds. We ended up getting a single room with two doubles. Called front desk and they switched us to another room that was the same but with a pull out couch. Didn't really solve our problem.

The rooms are actually relatively clean. The beds suck and the pillows are terrible. When I first walked in and saw the lobby I was very unimpressed. Horribly ugly. Service and staff were nice. Bunch of kids at this hotel that think they are cool but are idiots, arrogant and rude. Nothing staff can do about that but they tried by have a security guard in the lobby. Will I come back, likely not. Better hotels for same price.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Paolo182002
Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hello Paolo182002,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay at the hotel. We do our best to honor the type of room on every reservations and when it is book on a third party website the room type are not guaranteed. In the coming months we will be doing some improvement such as, new pillows and new beddings for the rooms. We appreciate your feedback and take in consideration your comments to better improve our service. Sincerely, Julie S. – Guest Service Manager
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

We spend 6 nights at this hotel last week as part of a group travelling to Montreal for a National level sports competition. Our athletes wake up early -5am is normal and often get home late -9/10pm. When we get back to the hotel the athletes need to eat and sleep and that is why we book hotels with kitchen suites and why we chose Candlewood. I have to say I was very disappointed in the hotel. They should not book groups like ours knowing that we will encounter the type of problems and issues that come with groups at hotels alongside the 'party' boys! I don't know where to start but in the name of brevity I will say on the first night we had 4 police cruisers at the hotel after one of our chaperones was punched in the face when he verbally confronted a young man who had just 'mooned' (front and back) one of our 12 year old athletes...one of the young women I was chaperoning came to me to report a 'blunt' in her room - I took pictures - either the cleaning staff is getting high while cleaning (I hardly blame them as the condition some of these rooms were left in was gross) or not doing a very good job...The other mom with whom I was sharing a room had to request a new 'cover' for her bed when she discovered a large white stain (yuk) on the top blanket -- pretty obvious as to what it was and pretty disgusting to say the least! I also took pictures of this...The staff were nice - the rooms were spacious - the kitchen was great to have...no cleaning of the rooms is done while you are there so it is a long visit with no vacuuming or bed making...if you want towels you can get new ones if you bring the old ones to the front desk........we will not be staying there again..oh yes and the parking - first come first serve and not always easy to get a spot!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Eileen B
Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Montreal Centre-Ville, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Dear eileentoronto,
My sincere apologies, this was in fact a very unique and awful situation. Being an extended stay hotel, where our guests usually stay for long periods of time and want to have more of a "feel at home" experience. We are very careful of the business we book in our hotel for that reason. We are a limited service hotel with weekly cleaning, which might have not been clarified to you and my apologies. However, this does not excuse some of the cleanliness issues you have mentioned, which will be addressed and followed-up with. I do share with my staff the importance of "above and beyond" service no matter what.
Also, I need to address the "party boy" event, as this was a difficult situation for myself - we can't control business that comes through Expedia and other 3rd party websites. This was not an event that I had encountered before, as the General Manager, I felt it was imperative to call the police officers, not once but twice in order to deal with this unique case and remove the boys from property in order to protect my hotel guests and staff, I also ordered additional security and believe I did everything I could do.
I do understand your concerns and thank you for sharing – It’s unfortunate that your experience wasn’t what our other guests keep coming back for.
In Hospitality,
Céline Diotte
Candlewood Suites Montreal - General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels