“Mediocre price, terrible service, stolen items.”
Review of Hotel Visitel

Hotel Visitel
Ranked #102 of 166 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I went here for New Years Eve with some friends and was very disappointed. Upon our arrival when they had us pay for the room, it was WAY more expensive then they had originally said over the phone. The room was decent, at least we had a private bathroom. But it was on the 4th floor and there are no elevators, so we had to take the stairs. Whenever I travel I make sure to hide away all my expensive belongings in my luggage, even in my hotel room. I had forgot to hide my perfume and computer charger one day when I went out and when I came back it was gone. I looked everywhere for them, but they were nowhere. I check out that day and went back the next day to see if they had found anything and they said they didn't. I am positive that my things were stolen. Overall, it was really disappointing. We stayed here because of the cheap price, but that ended up going out the window with all their hidden charges when we arrived.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Brittany T

Reviewed 25 May 2012

We went as a group of four, and stayed for two nights during new years eve.

Pros:
Our room was nice, it was on the top floor and we had a bathroom ensuite, and that's all I can say I was satisfied with.

Cons:
-When we got there, there was a horribly expensive fee that came out of nowhere. When we reserved our room months in advance he said it would be around $290 but once we got there to check in it was almost $400(?!) and he explained that it "was because of fees"
-Things were stolen from our room (a macbook charger, perfume, ANY money lying around)
-There was no breakfast, at all, even though it's advertised all over the building still to this day.
-The stairs are horrible and loud, I feel bad for whoever gets a room that isn't on he top floor.
- Walls are very thin, you can hear people talking in other rooms easily, and other noises outside.
-They are very unwelcoming for a business that houses people, I can't say a single worker talked to us other than check-in and check-out
-Communal bathrooms that run out of hot water.

I highly recommend spending the extra thirty or so dollars on booking a room in a real hotel, the only reason these people are getting business is their location, which is close to a metro station. The service is terrible and we were really unhappy,

Room Tip: If you do make the mistake of booking a room here, try to get on the top floor.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jaden R
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I stayed 4 nights in March 2012 on a romantic trip with my boyfriend. The room was very clean, the staff friendly, and the rooms are all newly renovated. Although it is far from luxury, the cheap price made my week !

Positive : Great location near the metro and quartier latin, friendly staff (they let us use their microwave even if there wasn't one in our room), control over the AC and heating in our room, new bathroom and new decoration in the room, all very clean. Also, if you want a quiet area, room 303 is in the back and you don't hear a single neighbor. We were very surprised to see a "no vacancy" sign on the second night, we hadn't hear a single guest !

Negative : Those are really just details, like no elevators, no breakfast, the rooms being pretty small.... But really, if you want breakfast, you have a nice fridge and kettle in your room, and the stairs are far from bad.

For the price they ask, this place is pretty unbeatable.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MaryLandry
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed in room 102 (ground floor) for 2 nights in Feb 2012. We had a bathroom next door for our own, but not ensuite.

Positive:
- Location (Quartier Latin, 2 min to Metro station)
- Clean (both room and bathroom)
- Towels provided
- Bed OK
- Room service
- Flat Screen TV
- Nice staff
- Price!

Negative:
- Not soundproof! You will hear everything going on outside, plus the air conditioning is pretty loud too. Definitely bring earplugs. I could not sleep even although I did.
- They use absolutely unbearable air freshener. I'm not a sissy, but I could hardly breathe.
- Room pretty small, no wardrobe, rather cold
- On the day of our departure, there was no hot water in the bathroom.

ALL IN ALL:
It's OK if you stay for a weekend and spend most of your time outside. It's clean and has rather reasonable prices and nice staff. For >2 nights, the room size and wafer thin walls might make your stay a rather uncomfortable experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank A W
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Our group of 8 stayed at the Visitel in the summer of 2011 for several days.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, going out of their way to ensure our comfort.
The location was great, central for "old town". All in all, excellent value !
Ken/Diana

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are quite small, but others are very comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank KenandDi
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Booked a room for 4 and got a room,301,that had 2 separate rooms,but no door separating the rooms though which wasn't a problem for us at all. We even had our own balcony.we managed to get a free parking spot that could just fit our dodge caravan.
The staff was ok, the room was good considering it was so cheap. The walls are thin and could hear a couple practicing bedroom gymnastics in the middle of the night.
Great location by main bus station and metro and also convenient for walking around.

Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Shortymaria
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I booked a room with private bathroom in September. Upon arrival the first thing that the receptionist did was charging my credit card for the full amount, which seemed suspicious from the beginning. After I walked upstairs to the room I've noticed that it didn't have private bathroom, only the shared one on the floor. The receptionist tried to give us another room for the night then which was in unaaceptable condition, the patio door couldn't be closed and the heating was on (seriously? it is 75F outside!!). And guess what the receptionist answer was: "What do you expect? This is not a 5 star hotel." What a joke! They even refused to refund the charge for the night. One good advise: DON"T LET THEM CHARGE your card before you see your room!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple