“good location hotel with good staff”
Review of Hotel Visitel

Hotel Visitel
Ranked #91 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Kuwait
“good location hotel with good staff”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I booked this place ( actually you cannot call it a hotel , it is an old house which has been renovated to become a hotel , which is the case for all the hotels in the same area by the way ) through laterooms.com for 11 nights , i got one double-bed room beds for $75 excluding taxes , which is really much cheaper than other sites ,I paid extra 15 $ per night for one extra bed for my youngest kid , the hotel is managed by a good staff ( Moroccan , Egyptian and one very good Indian ) , the check in was OK , i was booking for a standard room but during check in i asked them for a room with balcony so they upgraded me to junior suite for free , the manager there is really good and cooperative , the main reason i booked this hotel was the it is very close to the berri-uqam metro station , 300 meter , ( the station were all the metro lines connect ) so you can go anywhere from one point , the Suite room was BIG , with flat screen TV , and there is a small room beside it with dining table another TV + fridge + bathtub , there is kettle so you make your own Nescafe or tea , the room has got a good balcony where the kids uses to sit in the morning there is a small AC in the room and u can control it yourself the housekeeping staff are very helpful and always smile to you ,the main disadvantage there was there is no elevator , and my room was in 3rd floor , so prepare yourself for some exercise whenever you want to reach your room , and one more disadvantage was the wireless , it wasn't reaching to 3rd floor , only up to second floor , whenever i need internet i had to go to the reception area , which is ridiculous , the Indian receptionist wearing earring was the most helpful guy in the whole place , the Egyptian guy is awful , he doesn't help at all , the Moroccan guy is really good and trying to help ... and there is one lady who sits in the evening with a good smile on her face , one thing you have to take care for is the room access cards , if you lost them , they will charge you , will keep this as a good option for me in case i visited Montreal again if they will upgrade me for free again :) but i will take a room in second floor

Room Tip: choose a room in second floor , to get good wireless signal , and try to ask for a room with balcony...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Demos3577

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed 5 September 2012

The place is awful. There was no even a wardrobe in suite of two rooms (4 people stayed). A small air conditioneer was only in one room, so the night was awful, hard to breath, tiny rooms contribute to claustrophobia. And yes, free wi-fi is not working there on fourth floor because the router is not reaching it.

• Stayed September 2012
8 Thank idispatch

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2012

My partner and I were visiting Montréal for a couple of days and chose the Hotel Visitel for its low cost (booked on Laterooms UK). The room was absolutely fine, large enough for two of us, wih a decent bathroom and shower. Service was efficient, check-in and out was no problem whatsoever. Hotel was very eager to return my passport to me after I accidentally left it in my room and they went to every effort to ensure I got it back, so thanks!

All in all, great value for money.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matt K
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I was in Montreal doing a four day training. I found the accommodations somewhat adequate at best. My room was a fourth floor walk up. Only enough room for one person walking up or down the stairs. The top cover of the bed had a large stain in the middle. I immediately removed the bed cover. The area surrounding the hotel was really shady. Lots of drug addiction, homelessness and shops closed for business or abandoned what looked like some years ago. I did not feel safe about the neighborhood and apparently either did the people who lived in Montreal I was doing the training with. I got a ride home each evening and was told not to go out at night. The hotel did not feel secure to me. I locked all my belongings before leaving and made sure I kept my cell phone handy when going to my room in case I needed to call for help. I did have one homeless man follow me into the foyer of the hotel. The guy at the desk got rid of him. The two gentleman who worked the front desk were very polite. The accommodations were nothing to write home about and the neighborhood did not feel safe. Sorry, I cannot recommend this hotel, especially to solo or those traveling with children.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank s o
New Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I went here for New Years Eve with some friends and was very disappointed. Upon our arrival when they had us pay for the room, it was WAY more expensive then they had originally said over the phone. The room was decent, at least we had a private bathroom. But it was on the 4th floor and there are no elevators, so we had to take the stairs. Whenever I travel I make sure to hide away all my expensive belongings in my luggage, even in my hotel room. I had forgot to hide my perfume and computer charger one day when I went out and when I came back it was gone. I looked everywhere for them, but they were nowhere. I check out that day and went back the next day to see if they had found anything and they said they didn't. I am positive that my things were stolen. Overall, it was really disappointing. We stayed here because of the cheap price, but that ended up going out the window with all their hidden charges when we arrived.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Brittany T
Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We went as a group of four, and stayed for two nights during new years eve.

Pros:
Our room was nice, it was on the top floor and we had a bathroom ensuite, and that's all I can say I was satisfied with.

Cons:
-When we got there, there was a horribly expensive fee that came out of nowhere. When we reserved our room months in advance he said it would be around $290 but once we got there to check in it was almost $400(?!) and he explained that it "was because of fees"
-Things were stolen from our room (a macbook charger, perfume, ANY money lying around)
-There was no breakfast, at all, even though it's advertised all over the building still to this day.
-The stairs are horrible and loud, I feel bad for whoever gets a room that isn't on he top floor.
- Walls are very thin, you can hear people talking in other rooms easily, and other noises outside.
-They are very unwelcoming for a business that houses people, I can't say a single worker talked to us other than check-in and check-out
-Communal bathrooms that run out of hot water.

I highly recommend spending the extra thirty or so dollars on booking a room in a real hotel, the only reason these people are getting business is their location, which is close to a metro station. The service is terrible and we were really unhappy,

Room Tip: If you do make the mistake of booking a room here, try to get on the top floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jaden R
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I stayed 4 nights in March 2012 on a romantic trip with my boyfriend. The room was very clean, the staff friendly, and the rooms are all newly renovated. Although it is far from luxury, the cheap price made my week !

Positive : Great location near the metro and quartier latin, friendly staff (they let us use their microwave even if there wasn't one in our room), control over the AC and heating in our room, new bathroom and new decoration in the room, all very clean. Also, if you want a quiet area, room 303 is in the back and you don't hear a single neighbor. We were very surprised to see a "no vacancy" sign on the second night, we hadn't hear a single guest !

Negative : Those are really just details, like no elevators, no breakfast, the rooms being pretty small.... But really, if you want breakfast, you have a nice fridge and kettle in your room, and the stairs are far from bad.

For the price they ask, this place is pretty unbeatable.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple