“Hotel Visitel, Montréal, Canada”
Review of Hotel Visitel

Hotel Visitel
Ranked #91 of 165 Hotels in Montreal
Reviewed 20 September 2013

- The room i had was very small, there is no desk inside
- I had a mouse inside the room ! The staff changed my room and tried to fix the issue with this mouse.

+ Staff very friendly and reacts quickly
+ Downtown at 5 min by foot from BERRI UQAM
+ Decent price

=> I advise this hotel even if I had encountered issues because it is rare events.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sdt_lyon
There are newer reviews for Hotel Visitel

Reviewed 3 September 2013

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel just for the convenient location (1 block from major metro station) but I was concerned about the quality of it based on previous reviews. However, after coming back today from a long weekend there, I was pleasantly surprised. It was a standard, no frills room, but it was clean, the bed was pretty comfy and the AC worked very well. I liked that it had a small fridge. The front desk staff were kind and I had no trouble talking to them in English (I can barely say 5 words in French). I'm pretty sure it's half hostel as the person checking in in front of us was given separate directions for his bedroom and the bathroom, but we booked on booking.com and were given a standard room on the 2nd floor with queen bed and bathroom. It also was relatively quiet with the AC running and even a very light sleeper like me heard almost nothing from in our room besides when a couple of people were talking right outside our door.

The location is good for being 1 block from the metro, and a walkable distance to the Old Montreal area and downtown. We live in Boston so are used to walking far, and we had no trouble with it. The neighborhood isn't the cleanest, but I never felt unsafe (I may have at night if I was alone) and it's only a couple blocks from a large amount of restaurants.

If I go back to Montreal I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rebecca C
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stay at Visitel numerous times a year as it is well located near a major subway station and near the ViaRail train station. It is clean and the rooms are a good size.The people in the front desk are always nice and helpful with directions. The hotel is very basic, but clean and comfortable. It can use some small tune ups and extra attention paid to details. For example, the light in my bathroom went out my first night and they were unable to fix it for the duration of my 3 nights there so i had to carry the table lamp in the bathroom, which was not convenient. The A/C can be a bit loud, but its not the biggest issue. breakfast is good, but again very basic... dont expect omlettes or pancakes. the stairs are steep with no elevator and you dont get help with luggage, i personally didnt mind but good to keep in mind if you have trouble with stairs etc. Overall I would stay there for short stays. Make sure when you book a room to ask for a room on any floor but the main (lobby) floor. The walls are thin and all night you can her the reception, phone calls, doors banging etc. .... the one time i stayed on the main floor, I could not sleep AT ALL.

Room Tip: make sure your room is not on the lobby floor ( it is way too noisy)
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The hotel was clean and convenient to the Metro & shops on Ste Catherine Street. The staff was courteous even when English obviously wasn't their first language. A little weird that they didn't have wash cloths, but the shower had good water pressure. We had a suite and the AC cooled both rooms. Thank goodness because it was a HOT weekend.

There is no elevator and we were on the 3rd floor. It wasn't an issue, even though at the end of the day we were tired. I really liked the hotel although my sister had some complaints about the lack of amenities (she & my niece had to share a double bed, not a queen). I feel we got a good deal.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Made a reservation over two months ago, but two days before we were to go I received an email the the "reservation was cancelled." I immediately called and was told there was a problem with my credit card and that "the system had cancelled my reservation." I was further informed that there were no rooms available as "the system had cancelled my reservation." No help, no alternative, just an impassive repetition of "the system had cancelled my reservation," two days before our vacation. Luckily we were able to book a room with a more reputable establishment at the last minute. Funny, they had No problem with my credit card!
Better call or you may find yourself out in the street!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank vkslp
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I stayed here last year for a 2 night stay. The best thing about this hotel is - well actually there are quite a few. Let me be short and precise here:

1. Location: A decent place right next to St. Catherine's street. The latin district is where all the fun is plus the restaurants and the clubs and the bars. Not to mention that it a decent hike away from the old port district. So if you are a walker and love to explore cities on foot instead of resorting motor vehicles, this is a very central location to stay at.

2. Front Desk: The lady at the front desk was very helpful. I speak level 2 french but I saw there were people who couldnt speak French at all. The front desk helps you with local sight seeing etc. Very helpful indeed.

3. Parking: There is a parking (indoor) lot right next to the hotel. I think it is cheaper than most places in Montreal, if not the cheapest.

I read some other reviews about people not being satisfied, stolen stuff, etc... All I would like to say is - when you know you are not staying in the Marriotts or the Wyndhams or the Hiltons of the world, it helps to use common sense. Take care of your stuff by keeping them locked at all times (I even do that when I stay 5 star!). If room has some issues, speak to the front desk - thats what room service is for. And have a little bit of patience! Peace :)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank VBostonian
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Me and my girlfriend decided to spend a weekend in Montreal. We are from Boston. We chose Hotel Visitel because of it's central location (close to downtown attractions) and because of the cheap price. I had reserved a room weeks before, and because they were nearly at capacity, I had to settle for one without a bathroom. The facilities would be shared with other guests, but since it was only for one night I thought it was no big deal. Upon arrival and check-in, I was told the price for the room was twelve dollars higher than what I was told on the phone. Whatever. We were led up three flights of stairs (no elevators) to our room on the fourth floor. The room was literally the size of a closet. It barely had room for the bed, a tiny refrigerator, and a small bedside table. The television's wires were crudely hanging on the wall. The floors were tile and the wall had pipes protruding from it, leading me to believe that this was once a bathroom. The walls were paper thin and everything the neighbors did was easily audible. The room was somewhat clean, although I felt the overwhelming need for a shower as soon as we departed, and I refused to use their public shower. The shared restroom was generally clean, but there were no hand towels. There was absolutely no WIFI access. I asked the front desk about this and they replied that "it only worked sometimes". This would have been nice of them to specify on the website since we needed internet access to plan various activities and sights to see around the city. The website clearly states that they have WIFI. Blatant lie. I felt that this place was a scam, and for nearly 80 dollars, definitely not worth it. Next time, my girlfriend and I will spend the additional 20 dollars and get a room in a chain hotel with a bathroom, clean rooms, and WIFI access. Oh and also, there was no cable. I would advise you to avoid this place.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple