“Trendy Hotel - Just blocks away from downtown”

ALT Hotel Montreal Griffintown
Ranked #19 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Ottawa, Canada
“Trendy Hotel - Just blocks away from downtown”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I was in Montreal for business and my regular hotels were fully booked. I stumbled upon the Alt Hotel. It was close to where I wanted to be (6 blocks to downtown and 8 blocks to old Montreal) and the price was right (much cheaper than other downtown hotels) so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm glad I did.

It's a new hotel (opened in March 2014) and has almost everything I need when I travel for business. I've read comments that the rooms are on the small side but mine was similar in size to other hotels. The room was stylish with a modern decor. The bed was on the soft side but very comfortable. It was clean and quiet.

PROS: New, Clean, Quiet, Starbucks coffee shop on site, Resto/bar next door, snacks available for sale in the lobby, plenty of parking.

CONS: A little far from the downtown area (but just a 15-20 min walk), no coffee maker in the room.

I've added the Alt to my list of hotels to use when visiting Montreal for work or play. Definitely worth staying there and the price is probably one of the best deals you'll get in Montreal.

Room Tip: A high floor gives you a nice view of Montreal.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Rick T
Marie Pier G, Manager at ALT Hotel Montreal Griffintown, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Bonjour Mr Rick T,
Thank you for taking the time to write about ALT Griffintown. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next stay and are happy to let you know that next time there will most likely be a coffee machine in your room. We are in the process of installing coffee machines in all of our rooms and guests will be offered a choice of coffee or tea.
Also, next time you stay with us I will be happy to show you our Marzocco coffee machine in the lobby. It makes amazing coffee!
All the best.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Hotel is modern with simple clean design. The front desk is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are clean, modern & comfortable. The area has construction going on but you cant hear noise when you are inside the hotel.
I think its a great value for your money. Great city views from the rooms.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew M
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We spent 2 nights in Montreal at ALT and enjoyed our stay. The staff, especially Marie Pier, were so helpful and always very friendly. The hotel is still in the process of renovation, but that did not affect our stay. If you are looking for a pool or free breakfast, this is not the place. However, there are fabulous restaurants within walking distance. My family would definitely go back!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Adrienne K
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2014

A brand new building in the middle of a few blocks of brand new condos being constructed. There will be construction noise and traffic tie ups for a few years at least. The building is half hotel half condo I believe, as the first 8 floors are not accessible. It's a nice building and the rooms are above average size. Comfy bed and newly appointed bathroom. Great gym. However my room (910) has no amenities. No coffee maker, bar fridge, microwave, room service. Also there are very few things close by and walk to Rue St. Catherine would take about 20 minutes.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank scot c
Knowlton, Québec
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Desapointing. IF you are a regular or familliar with the Germain across Canada don't think ALT will offer you and extraordinary experience. It is all about the look nothing else! The whole area looks crumbly, will need a couple of more years before the area becomes interesting if it ever become interesting. I stayed two nights one month ago on a business trip. If you have to wear suit and tie, it may not be the right room you need. There is NO CLOSET and NO HANGER! Come on... your market will be person that are on business and will have meeting downtown. People that are looking for nto too expensive stay and the proximity of Montreal Donwtown! The room was small. If you have work to do, the room are not the best for that. If you want to meet with a colleague to do some work, forget it, he or she may think you want something else... Desapointing.

Room Tip: The book a basic room. If you have meeting donwtown book early and you can find a better hotel righ...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank MichelAlbert
Julie B, General Manager at ALT Hotel Montreal Griffintown, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Mr Albert,

Thank you very much for your feedback as we are always looking to grow and improve our service. We understand your concerns and wished you were able to share them with us during your stay as we could have improved your experience.
For your information, every room has a closet located behind the full length miroir. In that closet there is an ironing board and iron, as well as hangers and laundry bag for your dry cleaning needs. It is very well integrated to the design of the room, which is probably why you missed it – we are sorry about that.

You are correct to say that the majority of our guests are here on business. In fact, we have worked really hard to make sure that they can work as well as relax throughout the hotel as the WIFI is free and easily accessible everywhere. All our rooms are equipped with a plug & play device for computers, an ergonomic desk chair, as well as a lounge chair.

If you wish to meet with colleagues outside your guest room, the 7th floor is equipped with 8 meeting rooms for small and large groups. We also have 2 break out areas with tables and chairs where you can meet and enjoy the natural light and view of Montreal. For a less formal meeting, our covered terrace is also accessible to our guests (when not rented for private functions) and there you can work, relax and enjoy the fresh air. All these services are on the same floor with great staff to look after you and your guests.

As for our location, you are correct, it is still in development and a few sites are still under construction. Over the next few days, two new restaurants will open in our complex. Small boutiques, cafés and art galleries already surround us, and there are more to come. It is really exciting for us to be located at the foot of the downtown area, just besides Old Montreal and steps away from the green paths of the Lachine Canal. We truly feel that we are part of a community where residents and businesses are creating a great vibe in this upcoming area of Montreal.

We are terribly sorry you were disappointed with you stay and we hope that you will give ALT Griffintown a second chance as we don't feel you totally enjoyed what we have to offer. Please feel to contact us at any time for more information.

Julie
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2014

"Griffintown" is not really a town at all. The entire area is a crumbly, messy construction zone. There is nothing nearby and the hotel has little in the way of amenities. Ice machine on only one floor, no restaurant, no food, really. There is no one to help with bags, getting a cab... The front desk staff suggested I google a delivery-food option when I asked for a recommendation! So much for getting a local opinion! The bed is super comfy though. As others have said - it's functional. And those King size beds? Those must be some pretty small kings! I chose this hotel because I've stayed at a few Le Germaine hotels. This hotel is NOT a real Le Germaine.. Alt must be their "holiday inn EXPRESS" model, which I didn't realize - hence the disappointment.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Tricia M
Julie B, General Manager at ALT Hotel Montreal Griffintown, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Tricia M,

Thank you very much for your feedback as we are always looking to grow and improve our service. We appreciate your comments and wished to share a few details on our property. Perhaps we did not explain to you what the ALT experience is meant to be and your experience was obviously not up to our standards. ALT offers the essentials at a reasonable price, all year long. Here in Griffintown the rate is 149$ for single or double occupancy even during major events like the Grand Prix. By the essentials we mean, comfort, design and a friendly authentic service. Our lobby is the heart of our establishment, you can sit and relax with a great coffee in the morning or for a drink at the end of the day and also have access to some grab-and-go items if you wish to go back to the comfort of your room. Our rooms offer the same quality bedding as our Le Germain property but are all equipped with Queen size beds.

Griffintown is a hip and upcoming area, new restaurants, boutiques and art galleries surround us and slowly this part of Montreal is becoming very popular and trendy … but, you are correct, there are a few construction sites around us. But very soon we hope this area will be exciting and the dust and trucks will be a thing in the past! We are very excited to be located at the foot of the downtown area, just besides Old Montreal and steps from the green paths of the Lachine Canal.

We are truly sorry to hear that your experience was disappointing and I would really like you to contact me to discuss this further.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you again and let you live the true ALT experience!

Julie
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I I stayed at the Alt hotel for two nights with my husband. He loved the design and the simplicity of everything. My favorite was the glass door in the shower that captures the natural light from the bed room. I loved the chair with the strange arms that can bend; i spent most of my time in it. The view from our room 913 was fab, the lights at night in Montréal was so breath taking. The only issue i had was the sheets, i had a slight allergic reaction to them so they made my skin itch, i hardly slept the two nights we were there. I am disappointment the room had no mini fridge nor did they serve free breakfast for the price. You had to pay for even the water, like wth, who does that. I gave this hotel a 4 stars because the staff at the front desk was awesome and i loved the design. However i did not like the 8am room service, like who the heck does room service at 8am in the morning. Twice i had to get up out of bed to tell the lady to try again at a later time. If you are staying at this hotel bring your own stacks and water also request a do not disturb sign so room service will not wake you up at 8am every morning.

Room Tip: Bring your own snacks and ask for a higher floor the view is fabulous at night.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple