“You can't judge a book by its cover”
Review of Alexandrie Hostel

Alexandrie Hostel
Melbourne, Australia
“You can't judge a book by its cover”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Being my first stay in a hostel I was a little cautious. The unrenovated, construction site interior didn't serve my first impressions well. Furthermore the 4 person room, part of the 8 person dorm was small, cramped, and there was nowhere to put my luggage. However, I soon found a nook to store my bag, bought a lock for my valuables and started to feel a little better. In the heat of summer I imagine sleeping in the upstairs dorm would be quite uncomfortable as no air-con and on 3rd storey.

The included breakfast was satisfactory. Just juice and toast. It would be nice to have cereal as well. The cooking facilities were good. The people staying here were very nice and easy to start a conversation with...might I add, in french. Sheets were clean, but pillows filthy.

Thursday night activites were a lot of fun and, unfortunately, I left before the Sangria and Jello-shot night. One of the greatest things about the hostel was the Nintendo 64...always gave me something to do.

Overall, a cheap but enjoyable place to stay. 10min walk from main bus/metro station so location was good.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank voyageur203

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I spent a couple of nights at Alexandrie Hostel after I arrived there without a reservation. Even though the place was busy everybody made sure I had everything I needed almost instantly.

Special thanks goes to Luc, Sonia and Stephanie.

Szidonia Izsak, Toronto teacher

Room Tip: I loved my room on the second floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Last summer my boyfriend and I went to Montreal for a 3 night vacation. He had never been to Montreal before and we wanted to have a chance to explore the city but also relax and have some quiet us time. We booked a private room in the Alexandrie Hostel on Amherst. When we arrived we were very impressed with how friendly the staff were and then when we got up to our room we were in awe! We expected to be in a room that had a door to the hallway but instead we were in a room in a two bedroom awesome Montreal apartment! And the entire time we were there the other room was not rented so we had the whole place to ourselves! We had a beautiful private room with comfy bed, nice furniture and big window, a full living room with couch, side tables, lamps, tv that worked perfectly, table and chairs and balcony, plus a fully equipped kitchen with all amenities, including kitchen table and chairs and window, plus a great little bathroom that had everything as well. We were so happy!

From the Hostel we explored the nearby Village, Chinatown, Old Montreal, Rachel, Mont-Royal, St. Laurent and we even zipped over to L'Oratoire. All were accessible easily either by foot or by the metro. We got ourselves passes for the metro so we didn't have to deal with change and it was very convenient. Then in the evening we would head back to our "apartment" with take-out and just relax in the peaceful atmosphere. In the morning we had breakfast that was included in the communal kitchen and chatted with other travelers which was really fun.

All in all this was an absolute gem of a Hostel for us as our private room turned out to be a private apartment. I would highly recommend this place to anyone. Great friendly staff, cool atmosphere, awesome private room and great location! We will go back for sure!

Room Tip: We stayed in the private room that was in the two bedroom apartment on the second floor facing south...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank earthling44
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2012

The hostel is a fantastic place to stay, I stayed there in 2009 and 2010 on 3 separate occasions and I had a fantastic time and met brilliant people every time. The manager Hernan is fantastic and he is always happy to give any advice about the local area. The hostel is in a very good location with the Greyhound terminal in walking distance and most of the city is in easy reach. I have stayed there in the peak of summer and winter and it has never disappointed.
There is also an interesting secret about what the building used to be used for that you may get to find out about if you are lucky!!
Cheers Hernan and the rest of the staff!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Teambuzz
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Stayed here for 3 days and 2 nights. The rooms and common areas were clean, and the washrooms were well maintained.

Staff was very nice, personable, and easygoing. I had a small headache on my second night there. One staff member gave me 2 Tylenol. It was very nice of him.

The hostel is a stone's throw away from the Village, the Berri station, and all the shops and food places on Sainte Catherine East.

There's a convenience store on the same block -- and a fast-food joint called "Valentine" a block away on De Maisonneuve. So if you want some last-minute sundries or some cheap knock-off American fast food --- it is very convenient.

Everyone there spoke English --- (in the hostel, the shops, and the stores) --- so you'll have no problems if you're an Anglophone.

Only thing : if you stay in the "Office" private room, like I did --- you may get some mail in the mail slot in your room. ;o)

Just be a nice guest and give it to the proprietor when you see him, or plop it down on his desk in the basement --- they'll appreciate it.

The continental breakfast they served was decent, and was nice to get. The free computer use, the free local phone were also nice. They even had a laundry room you could use, if needed.

In short, I was impressed --- and honestly, you can't go wrong here.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank sanfranciscan74
Hualien County, Taiwan
Reviewed 27 October 2011

It was the first hostel I stayed when I first came to Montreal. It doesn't look that great or fancy outside but it is very clean. The owner values how you feel when you stay here, which makes you feel like you are at home. Ademas, hay sangria por $2 los vienes! 還可以認識很多不同國家的朋友 :)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Paris, France
Reviewed 8 October 2011

the hostel is not completely finished to be renovated but it's a nice place to be with friends or alone.
you have a private card to enter in the room.
for example an 8 beds room it's like a flat : 2 bedrooms a kitchen and a small living room with TV
the 0 floor it's a big place to share with everybody (kitchen and coach)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends