“Best Hostel Ever”
Review of Alexandrie Hostel

Alexandrie Hostel
Reviewed 5 April 2014

To be fair, this is the only hostel I've been to. But, honestly, I can't imagine hostels getting any better. My friend and I stayed in a dormitory-styled room with bunk beads. We went in the middle of the winter so we had the entire room/bathroom to ourselves. The facilities were nicer than expected, with 1 bathroom for the 6 person room. You do have to rent a towel, but it is very cheap (2 CD) and wasn't bothersome to me. The location is very nice. It a short, 5 min walk to the metro (the main stop that connects everywhere) and its in the middle of everything while still being in a relatively quiet spot. But the highlight of the hostel isn't the location or the amenities: it's the people. The staff of this hostel are some of the nicest, most interesting people I've met. They come from all different countries, yet they spoke english well and were very encouraging about helping me with my french. My friend and I found ourselves switching between english, french, spanish, and portuguese while talking to everyone. It was such a cultural and enriching experience that we won't forget any time soon. We became friends with these people in the 3 days we were there. In fact, we almost missed our bus because we found ourselves playing videos games in the common room with everyone and not wanting to leave.

Also, the hostel has fun themed nights. Although I wasn't able to attend one because of the time I was leaving, I know they were having a Sangria night that I'm sure was fun and fantastic. Also, they have breakfast in the morning. If you want a legit breakfast, you're gonna have to go out or go to the market to buy ingredients then make it at the hostel. But they do have toast, coffee and orange juice if you like a light breakfast.

Overall, the hostel made my trip to Montreal one of the best trips of my life. As an 18 year old girls my friends/parents were a little worried about how safe we'd be at a hostel in a foreign country, but I have to say the Alexandrie hostel is one of the safest, friendliest environments I've ever been in. I hope to return again sometime soon. I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Christina I

Reviewed 17 March 2014

My best friend and I had our first hostel experience here and it was amazing! The staff was so helpful and sweet especially considering we went to a french speaking city without knowing any french! Parking was very easy and the hostel is in a great location near clubs, bars, the gay village, and the old port of Montreal. The beds were very comfortable with clean linen provided and a sweet breakfast of toast, jam, and coffee each day. Hoping to come back to Montreal soon and will be staying in the Alexandrie again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hannagh
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The hostel and the city was so great that I stayed an extra day! Location was really good, just a 5 minute walk from the bus terminal and pretty close to st catherine street and downtown. Staff was super friendly since my arrive and they were always willing to help.
Breakfast was really good and free! Wifi was sometimes tricky but nothing to worry about, the hostel feels like its made to make friends and its almost impossible to get bored there, even when is -40°C outside and you want to "chill" inside. Dorms are very comfy and cosy (one of the best places I've ever sleep), you can wash your loundry for free and there is no curfew, just fun alld day and night.
Definitely can't wait to go back during summer and stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank NicolasRuiz
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

This is my 1st hostel experience and I enjoy it very much!!! The staff is very friendly too. When my 1st day here they introduced me some places that interesting in Montréal. The facilities is very good free breakfast, free wifi and etc. The room is very clean :) and the hostel I very near to down town.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 January 2014

In my first day there I could received a lot of assistance from the Alexandrie staff. Once I did´t known any french and your English wasn't fluent, they could explain me carefully how everything works in the hostel, as well as how the touristic places in Montreal can be explored.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 20 December 2013

divided into two blocs: one more lively and one quieter
simple breakfast but sufficient and very good
rooms and bathrooms are clean
kitchen and socialising area is very nicely set up
lockers are available at reception
staff very friendly and welcoming (Emilie)
excellent information on what to do / where to eat / public transport by staff
easy access to downtown Montreal (walking)
really excellent value for money

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Luc P, Owner at Alexandrie Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Thanks from Alexandrie hostel.
We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

This was our first hostel experience and it was absolutely amazing! The customer service was very nice and helpful. They went out of their way to tell as about places to visit in Montreal. Breakfast and Internet was included in the very cheap price. The main lobby had board games, a computer, TV, movies, video games, and tables to sit down and talk with other travelers. The dorm room was very clean and well heated. It was a wonderful experience at Alexandrie and I highly recommend this hostel to anyone that is looking for an economic option with brilliant service.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple