“Wonderful Experience, Perfect Location, Great Price!”
Review of Le Gite

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montreal
Le Gite
Ranked #73 of 146 Montreal B&B and Inns
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful Experience, Perfect Location, Great Price!”
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Diane was amazing. I came here with my boyfriend and my dog. She welcomed the dog at no extra fee. That's right, no pet costs! The location is perfect, minutes away from the bar/club/restaurant area of Saint Laurent and the Latin Quarter by foot, right next door to a small park where I could play with my dog, and there was free street parking. My only problem, if it can be called a problem, was getting used to staying in a B&B. I had never stayed at one before and wasn't sure exactly how I should behave, but after my initial awkwardness I loved it here.

Everything is really clean, wonderfully decorated, the high ceilings provide a cool ambiance, and the breakfast each morning was freshly prepared and delicious. (One morning she even waited until we woke up close to 11am to cook us breakfast!) Overall, my stay here was really accommodating and I felt that I got my dollar value for the stay.

I cannot recommend this place highly enough!

Room Tip: The different rooms are wonderful, but if you want more privacy consider getting a room on the 3rd f...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank arebsoder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed 20 October 2012

this became my 2nd home and diane like a sister. She opens the entire main floor to those staying and you have use of her kitchen and always loads of space in fridge and freezer. I came almost every weekend for about 10 months in 2011. My room was small but lovely sunny french door to little balcony on DeBullion. Lots of space for clothes and towels warmed nicely over the radiator in winter. Clean, comfortable bed and free WiFi. I was often asked to share in meals with her friends and at times the kitchen was full of various nationalities all cooking. Beware that this area is full of student bars/dance spots and they start getting lively at midnight and get out around 4am...noisey but only for few minutes.

Room Tip: if you want quiet sleep ask for room at back
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank canuckclem
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 July 2012

So, here's the thing. Le Gite would be a good experience for flexible travelers, especially those in good health and laid back dispositions. We had to wait an hour in heat for one of the owners to open the front door for us, even though we told them when we would be arriving. In their defense, we were 20 minutes late, but we do think it is more their responsibility to be around for guests, considering that we weren't that late. It must be typical for them not to be present, because a guy walking down the hall later that night asked us if we were the innkeepers, because he hadn't seen them yet. I read reviews that Diane was nice and friendly, but we got the guy (Fred?), and he was pretty gruff. Anyway, here's the other important part about why the place may not be for everybody: more of the rooms were on the third floor than the second, so you have to be able to do stairs. Also, there are no fans and no air conditioners, and when you are on the third floor, it gets pretty hot. It cooled off only a bit at night, and we had to take cold showers before bed just to get a bit more comfortable. If you can get past the giant painting of the lady holding a baby with a bloody head over the staircase, I would agree with others that the art and decor of the place is really interesting. The beds were comfortable despite the heat, and the bathrooms are ok (remember that they are shared with the other patrons, and there is only one on the third floor, but you can pop into whatever one is free). The location is nice in that it is right next to a pedestrian street with a lot of restaurants. Do note, though, that parking is a problem. While it is free in front of the B&B, there is room for perhaps 4 cars. The rest of the street is permit parking. I think the younger couples staying there are the target demographic, and if you fit that, you will really like this place. The price is definitely right, since the rest of Montreal is very expensive. But if you are a bit older with any physical limitations and you are traveling in the summer when it is very hot, you would be more comfortable at a more conventional (and more expensive) hotel. Tip: Diane requires a deposit (no problem), but the rest is due in cash when you arrive. I'm not sure if you can pay in US dollars or have to pay in Canadian (we did this), but the key here is having cash and not a credit card or check.

Room Tip: I'm not sure if you have a choice of rooms, but you can certainly ask. While the owners were not...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GiselleF
Toronto
Reviewed 12 November 2008

Diane makes you feel right at home. You'll never want to leave! Her son is an artist who has his art featured throughout, and you'll find yourself admiring his work while brushing your teeth and eating breakfast. She has several rooms to choose from. We stayed in 'Mariko'. Don't expect a TV in your room, but she does have Wi-fi that you are welcome to use. Only problem: finding parking!

• Liked — Quaintness
  • Disliked — Lack of parking
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Rinkydinkydonkey