“The Best B&B I've Ever Stayed At. LOVE.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Gite

Le Gite
Ranked #73 of 144 Montreal B&B and Inns
Dayton, Ohio
“The Best B&B I've Ever Stayed At. LOVE.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

Just off of Rue Prince-Arthur, a bustling pedestrians-only street that is always full of life, is Le Gite. A delightful bed and breakfast in one of the most fabulous areas of Montreal, Le Gite is a perfect home away from home; particularly, I found it a great spot for the solo traveler who is looking for something nice that isn't outrageously expensive.

My room at Le Gite--Orange--was rather tiny (it fit a full-sized bed, and little else), but absolutely lovely. The room, like the rest of the bed and breakfast, is full of fantastic art, done by Frederic, who is one of the owners. At $72 (no breakfast) a night, the price was a tad high, but a) I went during tourist season b) they have free wireless in every room c) there's a lovely terrace out back, which I greatly enjoyed and d) c'est la vie. Worth it.

Diane, the owner, is an incredibly warm, accommodating woman. She really makes you feel right at home, engaging in conversation about art, city living, your pathetic attempt at speaking French, and so on. Simply put: she rules hardcore. And so does Le Gite, which is in a perfect location--it's a very artsy area near loads of awesome music venues, radical bookstores, great shopping, quaint markets, and delightful restaurants.

My only complaints are that the parking sucks, like in any city, so prepare to drive around hunting for a spot; and the fact that there was no lock on the door to the Orange room. I initially felt a little uncomfortable about this, as, naturally, I was hesitant to leave my stuff in an unlocked room, but everything was fine. It wouldn't stop me, at all, from returning, but I thought I'd mention it in case that would be the deal breaker for others. There are plenty of other rooms available, besides.

Le Gite is a wonderful place in a great area, run by awesome people. I was lucky enough to stumble upon at the last minute. Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Alex S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013

Diane was amazing. I came here with my boyfriend and my dog. She welcomed the dog at no extra fee. That's right, no pet costs! The location is perfect, minutes away from the bar/club/restaurant area of Saint Laurent and the Latin Quarter by foot, right next door to a small park where I could play with my dog, and there was free street parking. My only problem, if it can be called a problem, was getting used to staying in a B&B. I had never stayed at one before and wasn't sure exactly how I should behave, but after my initial awkwardness I loved it here.

Everything is really clean, wonderfully decorated, the high ceilings provide a cool ambiance, and the breakfast each morning was freshly prepared and delicious. (One morning she even waited until we woke up close to 11am to cook us breakfast!) Overall, my stay here was really accommodating and I felt that I got my dollar value for the stay.

I cannot recommend this place highly enough!

Room Tip: The different rooms are wonderful, but if you want more privacy consider getting a room on the 3rd f...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank arebsoder
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2012

this became my 2nd home and diane like a sister. She opens the entire main floor to those staying and you have use of her kitchen and always loads of space in fridge and freezer. I came almost every weekend for about 10 months in 2011. My room was small but lovely sunny french door to little balcony on DeBullion. Lots of space for clothes and towels warmed nicely over the radiator in winter. Clean, comfortable bed and free WiFi. I was often asked to share in meals with her friends and at times the kitchen was full of various nationalities all cooking. Beware that this area is full of student bars/dance spots and they start getting lively at midnight and get out around 4am...noisey but only for few minutes.

Room Tip: if you want quiet sleep ask for room at back
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank canuckclem
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

So, here's the thing. Le Gite would be a good experience for flexible travelers, especially those in good health and laid back dispositions. We had to wait an hour in heat for one of the owners to open the front door for us, even though we told them when we would be arriving. In their defense, we were 20 minutes late, but we do think it is more their responsibility to be around for guests, considering that we weren't that late. It must be typical for them not to be present, because a guy walking down the hall later that night asked us if we were the innkeepers, because he hadn't seen them yet. I read reviews that Diane was nice and friendly, but we got the guy (Fred?), and he was pretty gruff. Anyway, here's the other important part about why the place may not be for everybody: more of the rooms were on the third floor than the second, so you have to be able to do stairs. Also, there are no fans and no air conditioners, and when you are on the third floor, it gets pretty hot. It cooled off only a bit at night, and we had to take cold showers before bed just to get a bit more comfortable. If you can get past the giant painting of the lady holding a baby with a bloody head over the staircase, I would agree with others that the art and decor of the place is really interesting. The beds were comfortable despite the heat, and the bathrooms are ok (remember that they are shared with the other patrons, and there is only one on the third floor, but you can pop into whatever one is free). The location is nice in that it is right next to a pedestrian street with a lot of restaurants. Do note, though, that parking is a problem. While it is free in front of the B&B, there is room for perhaps 4 cars. The rest of the street is permit parking. I think the younger couples staying there are the target demographic, and if you fit that, you will really like this place. The price is definitely right, since the rest of Montreal is very expensive. But if you are a bit older with any physical limitations and you are traveling in the summer when it is very hot, you would be more comfortable at a more conventional (and more expensive) hotel. Tip: Diane requires a deposit (no problem), but the rest is due in cash when you arrive. I'm not sure if you can pay in US dollars or have to pay in Canadian (we did this), but the key here is having cash and not a credit card or check.

Room Tip: I'm not sure if you have a choice of rooms, but you can certainly ask. While the owners were not...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GiselleF
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2008

Diane makes you feel right at home. You'll never want to leave! Her son is an artist who has his art featured throughout, and you'll find yourself admiring his work while brushing your teeth and eating breakfast. She has several rooms to choose from. We stayed in 'Mariko'. Don't expect a TV in your room, but she does have Wi-fi that you are welcome to use. Only problem: finding parking!

• Liked — Quaintness
  • Disliked — Lack of parking
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Rinkydinkydonkey