“Your second home in Montreal”

Hotel & Suite Place des Arts
Ranked #120 of 146 Montreal B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Your second home in Montreal”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Where do I start? I LOVE hotel place des arts. Part of me doesn't even want to write this review since I feel if you're reading this you will probably book my room and force me to stay elsewhere or not go to Montreal. I feel like hotel place des arts is my little Montreal secret.... But out of respect for my fellow travelers here is my down to heart honest review:

If you are looking for a chain hotel that gives you affinity point s and a 1-800 number this isn't it. This place is a hotel for mellow people and travelers / backpackers.

Ms.Wong runs the show at this hotel and she has very stringent hygiene standards. The room is clean and spacious. Keep in mind the linen / towels are not as "fresh" as a chain hotel but the actual hotel is spic and span. I challenge you to find a dust bunny, seriously. Ms.Wong does an excellent job of making sure when you arrive the room is clean and ready for you. She provides things like paper towels in the kitchen along side cutlery, plates and awesome wifi (more on the wifi reviews later)

Why do I stay here? Her rates are reasonable, she only charges 3.5% tax which must be the legal minimum as the big hotels are upwards of 10-15%

What you have to ask yourself is do you want a room/cell with 2 beds and a bathroom (aka chain hotel) or do you want to tell people "you rent an apartment in Montreal?" I tell people when I go to Montreal I rent a small apartment. That's what hotel place des arts is, a place you call home.

This type of hotel is not suitable for a business traveler that values things like 24 hour dry cleaning / mini bar / room service. However if you are a traveler or backpacker who doesn't like shared room hostels this is the place for you. Hostels in Montreal are about $35-$40 a night for a dorm. 3 people fit in her suites without sharing beds. that works out to something like $40 tax in per person. I've stayed here 8 times and never has the price been marked up due to jazz festival or Canadian long weekend.

It's basically hostel dorm pricing with privacy and FREE PARKING, the parking is an easy $15-22 per day value. Hotel place des arts = Privacy, excellent value.

The fact that they have small kitchen and fridge (think beer fridge) really tops this place off. Frankly the food in Montreal is so amazing you should never eat at home, but if you're on a budget just go to st.viateur bagel and toast them up at the hotel. There is a major grocery store across the street. A 24hr convenience store 1 block away as well as a bixi station (quick bike rentals perfect for tourists). Catching a cab outside is never an issue and cabs will find the hotel no problem.

Regarding the wifi, I was at this hotel in feb 2013 and in july 2013 (current review) when I visited again Ms.Wong added a new wifi network (which is free by the way, most hotels charge $20 a day!) And it was super fast. For the techy folk I was able to VPN to work and put in a full day of work with zero interruptions, and the apps I use are strictly online. Staying at major hotels my VPN session is often interrupted or so bad I can't work.

I think I've said enough, this place is cool. Some of the rooms have a balcony, which if you smoke is a godsend and something you won't find in 90% of hotels in Montreal.

Take my word for it, give place des arts a go.

Best of luck tripadvisor.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I looked through the reviews and overall didn't seem too bad. I was expecting it do be dirty because it was only 65$ for a great location. I weight about 100lbs and I was scared to stay there overnight with a friend. Not a tight security place, shady crowd hanging around. If you're on a budget its a bed to sleep on, but I wouldn't recommend it for single women who aren't traveling with a man or a group. Luckily the owner was very understanding & helpful!

Room Tip: Choose one with a private bathroom so you don't have to leave the room in the middle of the nigh...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Heather C

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights at the beginning of November to visit our daughter who lives in Montreal.

We had a junior suite - it was beautiful, spacious and the bathroom was great (large, jacuzzi tub, great shower. The gas fireplace was a nice feature. Air conditioning worked well.

Service was excellent - service for the rooms was twice per day. The front-desk/concierge service was excellent - polite, efficient, helpful - thoroughly professional.

The location is in old Montreal - there are quite a few restaurants and shops in the immediate vicinity and access to the bus system is convenient.

Although we didn't eat at the restaurant in the hotel, we used room service for a snack and for two breakfasts - the food was delicious and the room service was prompt.

Room Tip: If you face north, you have a fairly nice view but there is a fire station about half a block away...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I woke up the first day with bites on my arms. Throughout the day I noticed more red welts. They progressively got worse and more swollen as the day progressed.

I wondered about bed bugs, but the people I was staying with we're not exhibiting the same symptoms. I had a horrible sleep the next night. Itchy and awful. At one point I was sure I felt something biting me.

It has been a nightmare morning. Upon waking I checked the bed sheets, finding two dead bedbugs in the actual sheets and many live ones under the mattress. Blood on the sheets, I presume my own.

They were helpful with drying our clothes in their dryer. However we did not receive a refund for this nightmare. I am very afraid of bringing these bugs home with us.

NEVER STAY HERE!

• Stayed September 2012
appwang, Manager at Hotel & Suite Place des Arts, responded to this review, 7 October 2012
I am sorry for what you said "bedbug",i want to know which room you are in?you are the 1st one who complain "bedbug',you said you didn't get refund for that,but when you leave the hotel you didn't ask me and tell me there are bedbug,i appreaciate you say it now,so i will check all the room carefully,if there is bedbug,i will have expert to fix it.for now many hotel have bedbugs,somebody come hotel from another hotel or from home with bedbug will bring it,so as long as you fount it,please let me know,i will fix the peoblem,for bedbug,when you found it,fix it right away,it will gone,
Again thank you to report it to me,if it is true, we will get rid of it immediately .
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 17 September 2012

This is perfect if you want to stay downtown. 2 blocks up from Rue Sainte Catherine, and walking distance to everywhere else. Stayed in Suite #7 which is on the second floor. There is no elevator so be prepared to walk up two flights of stairs. The gal who runs the place is awesome, very friendly and accommodating she locked and held my luggage after I checked out for a couple hours prior to catching the bus to the airport. Included in the stay is a big bed, an AC unit, a big wardrobe with drawers, an older tv (no complaints it worked), an apartment sized fridge, mini stove, kitchen, with a coffee pot, a bath tub / shower, and a little balcony. It was perfect for the price! As four days ended up being 322.00! 2 blocks off of St. Catherine's you cant go wrong! Also it is an old concrete building so it is so quiet! Couldn't hear our neighbors at all.

Room Tip: Suite #7 faces Sherbrooke West.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 14 September 2012

My boyfriend and I booked this place last minute on route into Montreal, we showed up in the evening, checked in and pulled around back (for the FREE parking). I'll admit that arriving in the evening, and from behind, the place did have a slightly sketchy vibe to it, so I was a little dubious upon first approach. However, this place turned out to be fantastic! The location is key, and the lady who runs the place was super friendly and accommodating. We had a lot of stuff with us so she gave us the basement suite so we only had to lug our stuff up one flight of stairs (a large room with two queen beds, a couch, a fully equipped kitchen, private bathroom, TV and air conditioning - although not great) for the same price as a single room. We stayed here for two nights and had no issues at all, not the most state of the art place, but for the price you get what you pay for and this is at the higher end of the scale. Would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a great place to stay in Montreal!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zoallen
Boston
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I stayed in 2 different rooms here recently and I thought it was fine. I am not a student at all, so it is not only for students (as some people have said). It is not a fancy place - and the rooms are not all updated - but it is within walking distance to everything. I had a coffee maker, comfortable bed, AC, Wifi (although didn't work in the 4th floor room I had) my back room was quiet - even though the hotel is on a busy street. So, if you are the kind of person who needs spic and span cookie-cutter rooms, this is not the place for you. But if you don't care that much about your room and just need the basics, this place is fine and very reasonably priced for being where it is. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Back rooms - off of Sherbrooke (unless you don't mind traffic noise).
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo