“PLEASE AVOID (DANGEROUS for young/solo travellers!)”

Hotel & Suite Place des Arts
Ranked #117 of 144 Montreal B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Our experience at this hotel was so bad that we didn't even finish our 1-night stay at the place...

We had the luck of being given the room right next to the so-called manager's office... when we came back to our hotel that night, this 'manager' was visibly drunk (carrying around a half-empty bottle of alcohol in his hand) and yelling/threatening other guests. In addition to this, he also let himself into our room without our permission (from the balcony?! – how is that even possible & isn't that incredibly scary?!) and then continued banging on our door to be let in after we kicked him out. We ended up leaving the hotel at around 4am because we felt incredibly unsafe...

Given the situation & what happened, I wouldn't recommend this hotel for anyone, but especially young/solo travellers (women in particular!!). & This is coming from a 20-year old who's travelled solo all across Europe (including hitchhiking!) – I don't think I've ever felt as unsafe as I did that night!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Susan C

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I've been traveling all around Europe but this is by far the worst "hotel" I have ever had the burden of dealing with. This is a warning for all travellers but ESPECIALLY young women - STAY AWAY from this place.

The "manager" or whatever he likes to call himself should be arrested. He continued to let himself into our room without our permission while we were getting ready to go out and again when we were ready to go to bed and changing out of our clothes. The second time he let himself in, he was obviously incredibly drunk and holding a half-drunk bottle of alcohol. He continued to scream at other tenants, even threatening to shoot them.

We also have a feeling that he used our room while we were out, due to the fact we found an article of clothing which belonged to him - buried in our beds... which he came back to retrieve later on?? It was DEFINITELY not there before. I've never been so creeped out in my life.

I have no idea how this "hotel" even exists. My friends and I have never felt so unsafe in any of our other travels. It got to the point where we had to barricade our door with chairs, quickly pack our stuff, and leave.

Have you ever tried to book a hotel in downtown Montreal at 4am on a Saturday night? It's near impossible. The only option was to take a $40 taxi ride to a proper hotel all the way by the airport.. for $160 a night. We ended up spending 10X more than what we could afford and it completely ruined our weekend in Montreal.

Please, stay anywhere else but here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank J G
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed there for a weekend and it was as expected from other reviews and the video & images of the room from their website. If you are not fussy and simply want a cheap place with a great location to sleep for a few hours and a quick shower, then this is it.

Don't expect the usual from other hotels and I am not sure If I would even call this place as such. There is no reception desk per se, very casual and informal check-in, and don't expect your bed made up for you daily nor daily changed towels or linens. The decor and bed covers are funky / retro / old. But I enjoyed my stay and would go back - not sure about the girlfriend though as she was not overly impressed but didn't mind. The negative reviews weren't wrong, it's just depends on what a person can put up with.

We rented a suite. The place is old and as such has a dirty feel / appearance but it wasn't that bad at all. I was expecting worse given some of the reviews. The room had a staleness to it so we bought an air freshner. The bathroom and kitchenette are quite tiny but again, we had no qualms about it as we had hot running water. Bring your own shampoo, conditioner and soap and hair dryer. We didn't use the kitchen but made use of the fridge for storing cold drinks.

The A/C was working but it wasn't very hot so a couple of open windows was fine. The wi-fi was nice to have and we didn't have any connectivity issues.

Yes, there were some shady characters at the hotel and it was loud late one night with shouting but we never felt we were in danger or anything. You can hear guests coming up and down the creaky stairs.

I would NOT recommend this hotel for FAMILIES or business travelers use to a typical hotel. However, this place is GREAT for its location and price and would recommend for budget travelers / backpackers. Again, you can't be too fussy a person and don't go expecting a usual hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 123_Moai
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Never and I repeat, NEVER dream of booking this place. Do not say I did not warn you! I read a few less than demeaning reviews and I did not take them seriously. After all I thought it was in Montreal and could not be that bad. It is worst than the worst reviews you will read. It is a shame for a city like Montreal to entertain such madness. I booked this hotel for tonight and the weekend but here I am, writing this review in a different hotel outside of Montreal. I was at the place (I will never call it a hotel because it can never be called a hotel even in the poorest of countries) and what I witnessed was beyond description. The entrance was not only smelly but it has all around it a sense of people doing drugs. And wow, when I met the so-called owner or receptionist or whatever he calls himself looking unkempt, I had to run from the place. I only asked him where the reception was (which by the way does not exist) and he starting talking as if he was under the influence of drugs plus alcohol. Tell me about being rude; that was not rude, it was madness. What's more... anybody who comes out of that place looks wretched and some came out to threaten me to leave the neighborhood. If you think I am overreacting, go see for yourself but on second thought, make sure you have either a security or the police with you. In brief, the tourist board of Montreal should be ashamed for licencing a place like this. And I will warn expedia, hotel.com, booking.com to be very careful in recommending certain places to clients. Somehow I am blaming expedia for this disaster and I am calling them first thing tomorrow, so they should be prepared... I cannot rate this property because there is no negative rating, which should not be the case if properties like this are allowed to exist in no small place but Montreal.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Charles-Darwin A
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This old home on Sherbrooke is in a fantastic location at a very low price. Our unit had a separate bedroom and a living room with a bed, couch and a kitchen . It was spacious. That said there were many questionable characters roaming the hotel. They looked down and out but they did not bother us although we heard people coming and going up the staircase at 3 a.m. If you do not intimidate easily you should be ok. Mrs. Wang, the owner, was helpful with directions and a character. We probably would stay there again. Do not expect the amenities of the Queen Elizabeth but more like the YMCA and you should be fine.

Room Tip: If you want to save money and be in the middle of all the action, this may be for you.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2014

If i can give it a zero star, i would give it to this hotel. Don't go by the pics from this hotel.
The bath room/restroom is dirty. Rooms smell bad, People smoking all over the corridor. I even smell people smoking pot.
Never ever go this place and if you are with family then don't even think about it.Rooms are old and dirty. Overall experience was bad.
People were shouting at midnight. Even i heard the owner was abusing someone at around midnight.
Drunken people coming and knocking on the door so many times at middle of the night. Shady

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 February 2014

and I've stayed in a lot of cheap places. This really takes the cake. Like a boarding house with local "residents". As soon as you walk into the place, the stench of cigarettes practically knocks you down. That, along with I don't know what other smells, makes the air feel toxic. The other "residents" were up most of the night fighting or partying very loudly. I practically feared for my life. Seriously. The "free" parking is in a very sketchy ally behind the building, and with the manager said such things like, "Make sure you lock your car. Don't have any belongings showing in the windows. They could be smashed in for no reason around here." This did not make me feel good at all. One of the first things I did after a short walk to dinner, was make a reservation at another hotel down the road.
I am appalled at any booking agency would even show this place. I will be asking for my money back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends