“Nice location!”

Ranked #118 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Welland, Canada
“Nice location!”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed with my niece and sister-in-law for a girls 4 day weekend getaway. The room was nice, beds very comfortable, friendly staff and good continental breakfast. Loved the location. Lots of walking which is good to burn off all of the good food that you eat in Montreal. Had a nice view of Mount Royal and the university area. Fairly good underground mall with a supermarket. I would definitely stay again. Good value for your money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Turkish first
Penticton, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I decided to try this place recently and had a nasty surprise. The room was ok, a bit outdated with older furniture, but a good size and fairly clean. Shortly after I checked in a man walked into my room unannounced. I was not expecting anyone and screamed for him to get out of the room. I had no idea who he was. He left and I then called front desk to ask what was going on. They said they didn't know and they would check it out. They called back 15 minutes later and said that he was a housekeeper/maintenance worker and thought the room was empty because I was originally booked into another room but I requested a room on a lower floor and I am assuming the front desk did not inform the housekeeper the room was now occupied. However no apology was offered. I would not stay at this place again mainly because of that incident. How true the front desk' s story is I am not sure. I should have read the other reviews on trip advisor before checking in. If I had I would never have checked in.

Room Tip: The security in this hotel is doubtful. I would avoid it. Also bad reviews.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Marta S
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stained carpets, torn and frayed, buckling from neglect, a front counter eager for a role in the next Hitchcockian thriller, rickity elevators that groan with indignation, beds that sag in the centre, threadbare towels and the overall dim ambience of a flop-house. At the self-service breakfast the coffee was watery (imagine not being able to get good coffee in Montreal), the muffins tasted of lard, and the rest was too unspeakable to describe. The kitchen staff never cracked a smile - and why should they given the quality of goods they had to lay out. While one front desk clerk was helpful, none of the others appeared to enjoy the hospitality role and wore sourpuss faces and responded with impatience to the most rudimentary questions posed in English and in French. Had I not been chock-a-bloc with conference meetings, I would have checked out. This hotel is not worthy of the fine reputation of one of the world's best universities. I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: There are none. Go somewhere else. Having said that, the group of teens who stayed there because the...
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My son was booked with E.F Educational tours to go to Montreal This past week. You couldn't have planned a more distasterous trip! From start to finish. They were to leave at 7am Wed. June 18 and EF tours were to send 3-56 passenger buses. They only sent 1-56 seater and 2-40 seaters. The buses were 2 hrs late leaving. The kids that were not able to go on the bus had to be trained to Montreal taking them 12 hrs to get there. They missed Wed. night acitivities. The rooms were disgusting. Toilets didn't flush, sinks didn't work, there were holes punched in the walls, stains on the sheets, a closet door fell off and hit a student, beds were broken. Who was responsible for cleaning these rooms? Who made the beds and wouldn't that person not have seen the distgusting stains on the them? Were the beds in fact cleaned once the students left? I am furious! Shouldn't EF tours had someone check the accommodations before students arrived? Maybe McGill needs to hire more professional cleaning staff. The kids were to have a dance and part-way through it it had to be moved to the lobby where there was just a piano because the roof started to collapse and water started to pour in. Friday morning quite early there was an electrical fire and all the kids were evacuated until the issue was taken care of. I realize that may have not been the fault of the EF tours or McGill however McGill should've inspected the facility the dance was to be held in and made sure it was safe for the kids. The kids were rushed through the tours by the EF staff and didn't get to see some of what they were supposed to see. On the way home one of the 3 drivers of the buses my childs school was with passed out! A teacher had to bring the bus to a stop! Those kids had to transfer to 3 buses to get home! What is going on here? Again I can't fault the tour company for that one. The Gray coach should make sure all of their drivers are road fit! Don't they need to have passed a physical? The tour experience was ruined for my child and myself. I didn't sleep the entire time he was gone as I was scared that this EF tours was responsible for my child when they booked such horrible accommodations! I thought that the rooms were to be clean at least! What our kids got was a dump! Was not worth the over $400 the trip cost! I would never recommend anyone staying at McGill and rest assured that is a University that I will not allow my kids to apply to!!!!!!

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Was overpriced for the quality of service we got. The staff were very rude. We encountered a problem with our booking, and instead of talking to us about the problem, we heard two staff members talking about us behind our backs. Was very unprofessional, and we would have gladly talked about how to resolve the problem if they had confronted us instead.

One plus of staying here was the location. Close to Eaton Centre, St. Laurent Blvd, McGill University, etc.

Visited June 2014

1 Thank Ellevee13
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The price was right... but not for what you end up getting.

So, I know this is really a student residence but if you're also going to be a hotel you need to do a better job. I've stayed in residence at other universities as it's often the cheapest accommodation in a given city but I would gladly pay more for better digs.

My room had a funny smell that I could not identify. It was musty in the room itself and the bathroom alternated between smelling of sawdust and the plastic shower curtain (it was curiously pungent).

I saw a cockroach saunter across the bathroom floor like it owned the place. I mentioned this to a colleague also staying in the hotel and she said she'd seen several in her room as well. (I will be notifying staff upon check-out.)

The furniture was mismatched, the TV remote was broken, and there was no alarm clock so remember to pack your own. I didn't try out the continental breakfast on offer. There was a grocery store down the street and a mini-fridge in the room.

The drain in the shower also didn't really work. After a 15-minute shower there were six inches of water in the tub. When I left the room half an hour later there was still water in the tub. I let the front desk staff know and housekeeping took care of it.

Staff were friendly and helpful but unless you really need a cheap place to stay in this neighbourhood I would suggest finding another hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing av. du Parc. The traffic noise is loud, and in this student-oriented neighbourhoo...
1 Thank Traveller95873
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2014

As 2 star hotel's go - this place is pretty good!
OK - this is a student residence by school year, and dirt cheap accommodation by summer. Make no mistake - this place is a bit long in the tooth, and is well worn, but it is clean & quiet, and if you simply need a place to rest your head and have a decent shower - well, this fits the bill. I have stayed in worse 'regular' hotels, and paid a lot more. Location is pretty good - a quick 5 minute walk to the bustling Rue St-Laurent - where there are tons of bars & restaurants. A 7-10 minute walk and you're shopping on St Catharine's. Not bad! Downstairs is a underground mall with a full size grocery store, and a liquor store - that's pretty convenient, and attached parking is $19 overnight - reasonable for Montreal.
The room was fairly large, and had a very large mini fridge which kept my Stela's at an appropriate temperature.
I would stay there again under the right circumstances - namely - not traveling with the Little Lady !!!