“Overall good experience ”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Montreal
Ranked #28 of 163 Hotels in Montreal
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Overall good experience ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel was mostly a great experience. The location is perfect. Very convenient to Vieux (Old) Montreal sites, restaurants, shopping and the metro (subway). The suite was nice size, clean, and with contemporary decor. The staff was attentive to my needs. The only negative with my experience was the "cooked-to-order" breakfast included with the room. The food was not of high quality. The pancakes were the worst I have ever experienced. The buffet selections were never varied day to day and frequently the food items ran out. There was even a 30 minute period where coffee was not available. It was complete chaos! The staff including cooks were not overly friendly either.

However, all in all, I would still recommend this hotel. A horrible breakfast is only a small bump in the road from an otherwise very pleasant experience.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Steve_in_PokNY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

All staff went out of their way to make our visit comfortable. The suite rooms are very nice compared to a hotel room. Very close to the subway which made the downtown easily accessible. Very near to " old Montreal " and all it's great streets and restaurants.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 21 are slightly larger
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Yorktown, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is located across the street from the convention center, a 5 minute walk to Old Montreal and Notre Dame, a 5 minute walk to Chinatown, and about 15 minutes from shopping on St. Catherine's St. and 20 minutes to al fresco dining at the many restaurants on St. Denis. Also, the Place d'Armes(located in the convention center) and Victoria Square metro stops are within 3-4 minutes walking distance. The hotel was immaculate and updated. The service was friendly and efficient. Our room was huge with a kitchen(full fridge, sink,dishwasher but no cutlery or plates), living room with gas fireplace and sofa bed, small office area with desk, private bedroom with 2 closets, and a large bathroom with separate shower and massive spa tub. The bed was very comfortable and the street quiet. The A/C could be adjusted to the half degree but was a little noisy when it kicked in. Luckily I wear earplugs. An English newspaper was delivered to our room every AM(French for French speakers). Embassy suites always provides a wonderful breakfast every morning and this was no exception with bacon, sausage, eggs, potatoes, pancakes, oatmeal, fruit, cereal, pastries(looked fresh made, not from a box), bagels/toast, a made to order omelette bar and coffees, teas, and juices. As well, every evening from 5-7PM there was a manager's reception for which we were given 2 free drink tickets (alcohol included) and some light snacks (chips, veggies) were provided. There is a room with computers for anyone to use as well as a computer/printer by the front desk to print out boarding passes. WiFi was also free at this hotel. My husband was very impressed given that we picked this hotel over going with the list provided for the convention because the location seemed good and the price was cheaper than the others. I am sorry that we did not bring our kids as there was plenty of room for all of us. I would stay here anytime we visit Montreal.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sabena Y
Potomac
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The location of this hotel is across the street from the Montreal Convention Center and adjacent to Old Montreal. This is a great hotel is you are attending a convention there. Also, there is a Starbucks down the street!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Atlanta, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed in May 2014. Nice suite! Elephant-sized jacuzzi, but narrow shower. Excellent breakfast, helpful staff. Unexpected value in downtown Montreal, literally across the street from the conference center.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Overall, a solid choice in central Montreal, especially if one prefers to be within walking distance of all the cultural sites and near public transit. Staff had that welcoming and professional Canadian polish, and the rooms were large and comfortable. Nevertheless, a few careless shortcomings marred an otherwise perfect experience:

*lack of a dresser in the room: disappointing and inconvenient in a property whose rooms are this large, and that courts the long-term traveler

*ditto, the lack of an in-room safe. I expect this feature to be standard in this sort of property.

*despite our being first in line at the 6:30 opening, the breakfast was cold. By 7:00, no seating was left, and the small adjacent lobby soon became crowded

*television reception was unsatisfactory, and the remotes rarely worked, even though I changed the batteries

Attention to these basic issues would easily and substantially increase my rating. Assuming they will be addressed, I'm still giving it a qualified recommendation. But the devil really is in these type of details.

Room Tip: Current construction in the rear of the building -- begins at 7:00a. Not unbearable, but you may ne...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

First of all, let me say that I've stayed in many Embassy Suites properties and this hotel is not by any means a reflection of what I've grown to expect from an Embassy Suites. From the entry to the room the property is just sloppy...stained carpets; junky reception area; carpets with those stretch waves in the hallway; worn and tattered furnishings; management in jeans (yes, the hotel manager was in jeans); drapes partly hanging off rods...on and on I could go (and, I have the pictures to back it up!). The rooms are good with space; however, furnishings are stained and worn, bed linens are stiff. An internet connection is all but impossible...unstable and difficult to get signal strength...oh, and you PAY for it!

Breakfast...well, it wasn't anything like the typical Embassy breakfast that I ALWAYS look forward to experiencing. This time, mushy bacon, sausage, basically the standard 2-star hotel breakfast plus one guy making omelets (wasn't all that great) and NO COFFEE (30+ min, NO COFFEE).

As for the evening Manager's Reception, I cannot comment because the friend that I was traveling with and I were both so displeased with our rooms and the hotel, in general, that we checked out and spent the remainder of the weekend at the Intercontinental (Outflippingstanding excellent, by the way) 2 doors down.

My friend says to me: "I am OK checking out and moving to another hotel because this place looks like a crack house from the lobby to my room door..." I still crack up at that comment...and, it is DEAD ON RIGHT! I cannot think of the circumstances that would make me stay at this particular Embassy Suites EVER again or recommend it. 10 feet of snow, stranded in Montreal, last room in town, and I don't have a coat...maybe...but, seriously, given the experience I had here last week, I would give sleeping on the street serious consideration even in that situation. This place is lousy, trust me.

I do try to include some positive in every review...so, here goes. You know how time just flies when you're on vacation? Well, if you stay here then that's a blessing.

Room Tip: Choose a room someplace else!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Badly S
Embassysuitesmtl, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton Montreal, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Badly S,

We thank you for taking the time to share comments on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor.
We apologize for not meeting your expectations and would like to address a few points you mentioned:
Our managers and staff were exceptionally in jeans during your stay because we held a special charity event. We had a poster advertising it and employees were wearing stickers stating “I wear jeans today to profit the Grand Défi Pierre Lavoie”.
Concerning the carpets, we are in the process of changing the ones in the corridors and we have brand new carpeting in over 90% of our 210 Suites including the one you were assigned to.
For all other observations you have made about the breakfast and other issues, we will definitely look into it and seek to improve our services and facilities.
We do take all remarks seriously however, feel that it is very inappropriate to compare our property to a “crack house”.
If we may be of any additional assistance or if you would like to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact our offices directly.