“Taking things in stride”

All Suite VIP Loft Montreal
Ranked #45 of 100 Speciality Lodging in Montreal
Reviewed 14 November 2007

First of all, I am an expatriot Montrealer, so my needs are slightly different than many. I need a clean room in the right part of town and a decent price.

For what we paid, our room was fantastic. We could have stayed in a roadside motel somewhere with commercial furniture, but we wanted a nice campy place with charm, character and style. This place provided exactly that. This is a bed and breakfast without breakfast (at least I didn't see any...)

The room was gorgeous, the bed comfortable and the place very clean. We booked by phone a few hours before heading to Montreal from Quebec City, and had no problems upon arrival other than the fact that the management was gone for the day but left us a number to call for the code to get in and our room was waiting.

The management is as some have said, not up to par with what you will find at a bigger hotel. If you need concierge service, there is none. Parking is a bit of a problem as there is no parking on the street from 7AM to 9:30AM and there are meters during business hours. But that was the only tough part of being here. We should have used the parking lot a block down.

Room heat was adequate, the view, wonderful, the noise level, reasonable considering we had the room right next to the front door.

Would I go back again?? Absolutely. It was a wonderful room for short money in the perfect part of town. Everything is within walking distance including Ste. Denis, Ste. Laurent, Old Montreal, The underground city (Reso) , coffee shops, bars, great food and more.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank klaatu62

Reviewed 18 October 2007

Before booking with this hotel, I had read all the horrible reviews saying that this hotel always overbooks. I decided to contact the hotel directly to make my reservation and when I called, I asked them if there was any chance of them being overbooked. They assured me that reservation problems only happen when people book through a third party, like Expedia or Travelocity.
I booked their best room for my wedding anniversary.
3 months later, and about 2 weeks before my trip to Montreal, I phoned All Suites to make sure my reservation was still there. I tried for several days but couldn't get through (I kept getting their answering machine, or the phone would hang up on me). I emailed them, since their website says that they will get back to you within 48 hours ... of course, they didn't. Finally, 3 days before my trip, I managed to get through to them and they informed me that they had overbooked (naturally), and that they would be cancelling my reservation. They weren't the least bit apologetic and they actually implied that they were doing me a favour by giving me a 3-day notice.
I had 3 days to find a new hotel but by this point, almost everything was already booked up.

Moral of the story? DON'T STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!

Stayed: October 2007
6  Thank Travelling_McGee
Reviewed 3 October 2007

We had a terrible experience at this hotel, and had to leave a day early even though we pre-paid. They rented us a room for 3 people, but the 2nd bed was so bad I had to sleep on the floor for 2 nights. Nobody was ever around to help, and we found the whole experience very frustrating. I would also not recommend this hotel because it's on a very loud street.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
6  Thank COOKIE8A
Reviewed 1 October 2007

I stay in hotels all around the world, on both business and tourist budgets regularly, and I have to say the VIP Cosmopolitan in Montreal is the worst place I have ever set foot in, and I would advise you to stay as far away as possible from this poor excuse of a hotel.

We booked online through Wotif.com, having seen pictures both on their own and other websites. This is the first problem. The photos that they circulate are clearly not of this hotel. The photos show modern rooms with 'underlit' beds, a nice breakfast room etc, and the booking reservation confirmed this, the description of the room being Room Type “Description: Rates are for 2 people. Maximum occupancy is 4. Extra person pays $10 per night. Bedding is 1 Queen bed lit from beneath creating the illusion it is levitating plus a sofabed. Computer & DVD player. Spacious room conveying a sense of clarity & calm.”

We arrived just after 10 pm after a delayed flight. Firstly we drove past the hotel 3 times as there was nothing to identify it as a hotel on the outside. We finally identified from the street number that it was the hotel and went into the lobby. The lobby is nothing like the pictures on the internet. It was a dump – dirty, smelly and there was some family (of one of the employees?) hanging around. It certainly wasn’t the lobby featured in the picture on Wotif.com.

On arrival, we were then informed that due to a problem they did not have the 2 rooms that we had booked available. They were clearly overbooked as more people arriving just after us were also turned away. Since I had paid 100% in full in advance, I was not happy with this. They offered us instead, a 'family' room, for myself, my husband and my father to sleep in. This was not what we wanted, but since it was late, I asked them if they would just charge for one room, since that is what we would be getting. They refused, and said that since it was a big room it would cost the same as two rooms. I then asked if they could find us another hotel that had the rooms we ordered. To this they responded that if we didn’t like it we could leave. When I asked to speak to a manager, they replied that there wasn’t one around. I wanted to get a business card from the guy I spoke to, so that I could take it up with hotel management when I returned, but this unprofessional outfit does not have business cards or even letterhead.

I was not happy about this, so asked to take a look at the rooms (hoping that at least if the room was nice and there were two separate areas it would be an acceptable solution for one night).

At this point, even though the lobby was not as in the picture, I was still expecting a room as described on the website. The receptionist grabbed a key and took us through a door at the back of the reception area. It turned out this was our room. It clearly was not a proper bedroom. The first room had bare electrical wires sticking out of the wall, a dirty floor with trash on it (had not even been swept), broken furniture, a nasty shower and toilet with washbasin outside the bathroom, and a small roll-out bed. Through this was the proper bedroom which had 2 double beds in it, but so close together there was barely room to walk between them. Certainly too close together to be acceptable for the three of us to be in one room! Again, dirty, old and nothing like the pictures on the internet. Quite honestly, I would rate this below then level of a 1-star hotel – it should be in the $20-$30 a night student price range. When I discussed the room description with the receptionist there, he said 'yes they put that on all the reservations' I said, 'even though the rooms are not like that?' and he said 'yes'. At this point he told me I could leave and take a refund if I didn’t like the room.

Eventually we decided to do this, although at almost 11pm we were hoping to avoid this as we knew that due to a golf tournament in town, hotel rooms were scarce. I asked for a refund as I had paid upfront through booking with Wotif. They told me it would be taken care of as they would not charge Wotif and Wotif would not charge me….fine except that I had already paid in full. Eventually I insisted that I had it in writing from him that I had not stayed there, in case of any dispute. This he rather unwillingly gave me. I called Wotif.com at the time and they put me on hold for several minutes while they ‘called the hotel’. Since it was costing 40c/minute on my cellphone, after about 5 minutes on hold I gave up and hung up. I called Wotif.com again today on my return and they have promised to look into it. They sounded genuinely concerned, but since the hotel ‘manager’ refuses to do refund the money to them until she has confirmed with the receptionist on duty that night that there were no rooms available, (I guess they don’t have any kind of reservations book or computer reservations system like a ‘real’ hotel would) they cannot do anything until tomorrow. I am unsure if they have also been duped by the pictures, or if they are fully aware of the situation. Since their hesitancy in refunding the money seems to depend on whether the receptionist on duty confirms that the rooms I had booked were unavailable, rather than any concern about the hotel not being as advertised on their own website, I suspect that customer satisfaction is not high on their priority list. In future I will only book hotels through organizations such as Expedia who actually inspect hotels before including them in their listings.

I took a few photos which I will upload, but these really don’t do justice to the overall dirtiness, scumminess and undesirability of this hotel. My standards are not unrealistic – I have stayed in plenty of cheap hotels and know to expect what you pay for. This is the first time I have ever been made to feel so unwelcome in a hotel, even in the ‘super-budget’ price range, and certainly the only time I have been to a hotel that I would not feel comfortable sleeping in the rooms.

On my return today, I looked again at the photos on the internet. They show a ‘breakfast room’ which I do not believe exists. They claim an on-site restaurant ‘La Brioche Lyonnaise’ which according to Google is in fact a nice restaurant but is in fact half a mile or so down the road – certainly not onsite and I doubt whether it has anything to do with the hotel. The hotel website also claims they have a concierge…not the case. The same goes for the breakfast room, tour desk and I have my doubts that they have a dry cleaning/laundry service.

In summary, don’t believe anything the hotel (or Wotif.com) advertises. The photos are not of this hotel. This place is a dump and I would advise you to stay far away – it’s barely worth $30 a night – let alone the $100 or so they are charging. And if you are crazy enough to actually want to stay here, don't count on them having a room available, even if you have pre-paid in full ahead of time. The hotel used to be called Hotel Bristol, and the couple of reviews on this site for that pretty much sum up how it still is.

5  Thank Sheba2007
Cecilerazetti, manager at All Suite VIP Loft Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2008

Dear Sir ,

We thank you for Your memo , PLEASE be informed our company bought that Property Recently and made a big renovation to be a 3 stars plus first Class , we do the Grand Opening End of March 2008 ,we will be more than happy tooofer You a reduction of 50 % off with Upgrd room tosee the new Property complety renoved and re design - BE sure we will do our best to be one of the best Place Dowtown Montreal .
Julie Hassun

Reviewed 18 September 2007

This hotel is being refurbished and there was no room available for us so we had to book somewhere else when we arrived. Looks like the place might be nice within a few months but currently a mess and clearly overbooked.

We were able to use internet there to book something else and we were given money for a cab.

2  Thank JPandJen

Julie Hassun

Reviewed 9 September 2007

Same complaint as the previous reviewers: I had a reservation but when I arrived the manager (most likely the owner), Jean Louis Collignon, told me that he did not have a room for me. From reading the previous reviewers, it is obvious that VIP has adopted the policy of overbooking the hotel just in case someone cancels at the last minute.
I want to suggest to everyone that has had the same experience as me to write a letter of complaint to the agency/ website that made the reservation and, more importantly, to the chamber of commerce of Montreal. I believe that a few letters will open an investigation into the unethical business practices of VIP LOFT. VIP LOFT is a liability to the city of Montreal. STAY AWAY FROM VIP LOFT!

• Stayed: September 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank canadianbacon2007
Reviewed 5 September 2007

My girlfriend and I arrived at All Suite VIP Loft with a receipt confirming booking and deposit payment, only to be told by the manager, Jean-Louis, that he had never heard of the booking company and thus did not have our reservation in the system. He refused to acknowledge that we had already paid the property 10% of what was due to the hotel and turned us away, leaving us without rooms.

This is perhaps one of the most unpleasant experiences I've had booking a hotel online, as I lost out on both accomodation for my planned holiday and the deposit, which the manager refused to refund to me.

1  Thank missennui
MANAGEMENTVIPLOFT, OWNER at All Suite VIP Loft Montreal, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2007

Dear Sir ,

Wesincerely Apologie ,we would like toinvite You one Night free any time You plan tocome back
ref929902