“great deal for us”

Ranked #139 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“great deal for us”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My lady came to Montreal to see me and we had already had a lousy experience with an Old Montreal hotel. The Plateau Royale is located on a main but quieter street (Park Avenue), maybe 20 minutes walk from downtown, very close to buses and subways, and what I thought were extremely good rates. (I agree that if you have a car this is not the hotel you want,. But we do not.) The breakfast is absolutely nothing special and we skipped it most days.
The rooms were basic, but the first one had a working TV, decent space, comfortable bed, free wifi, and only a few stairs to go down. (NONE of which were included at our last hotel.) When we decided to stay a third night, we moved across the hall into a room that frankly was not ready for visitors (no shelf in bathroom, no closet, not even a dresser for our clothes, and a poor view if a parking lot and we should have had a discount for that inconvenience). Still, the staff was courteous, helpful and friendly, lending us a DVD player, helping fix a broken toilet, providing us with extra sheets and towels, and certainly accommodating.
Because of the rates/location, I will very likely stay at this hotel again. I agree that (at least in the second room) the walls were thin enough to hear what was going on in the other rooms but not so distracting as to keep us awake when we went to sleep. And for a couple's getaway, you are either in bed, sleeping or not, or not in your room. For what WE needed, the price and service were just short of excellent (WOULD have been excellent had we been allowed to retain our room). YMMV

Room Tip: Get a room facing Park Avenue and not the parking lot. I am told parking is expensive. Do not come w...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Lou I

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Parking was a disaster, they have only six spots and charge $25+tax/per night to park in a dark, dingy, secluded, graffiti ridden alley behind the hotel (see pics). You can find cheaper and far safer parking downtown!!!The room itself was fairly clean and VERY basic. Not even an alarm clock. Paper thin walls to which you could hear all activity in/outside the hotel. There are no elevators so if you have lots of luggage you'll have to carry up/down stairs. Lastly, calling their breakfast a continental breakfast is like calling a house cat a lion. It was merely two loaves of bread put on the table with a toaster, and a pot of coffee and a tiny bit of cereal.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank TravelinChimp

Travellers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2012

I have been traveling to 15 different countries. This is the worst experience ever!!!
First, there is no parking, and street parking is very tricky. They have different rules for parking on each side of the street. Also, the hotel manager knows we parked on the wrong side of the street, but he didn't tell us. (Really confused about this, MAYBE he just didn't know???) So, We got a $145 parking ticket on our first day.
Second, they charge you trickily, we booked the hotel over the phone, and the lady told us $79/per night, but, after staying there 3 nights, they charge us $316 (the amount of money for 4 nights) plus tax, and there is no rate and no detailed information on the receipt. I called them, was told that they will get back to me in 24hrs, but, they never did. I called again next day, as soon as they know it is me, they put me on hold forever.... what a terrible hotel!!!
Third, there is a night club next door, it is very very noisy during weekend nights.
Forth, the breakfast was crap, only few piece of bread, cheerio, coffee, milk. We didn't even eat anything, and there is nobody eat there, since they really have nothing to eat.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank G N
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Look, this place isn't fancy but functional. They do themselves a disservice with the general entrance and stairs/hall which is pretty shabby. The room was fairly clean (most importantly the bed and bathroom were spot on, but when trying to find another plug it became clear its been a while since the hoover seen behind the bed/locker). But the staff were great, wifi was perfect, bed was comfortable enough. We didnt get up for breakfast so can't comment on that. We only stayed the one night as a stop gap and it done the job, but prob wouldnt use it as my base for the whole holiday.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amolta
Harwich Port, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 September 2012

My niece and I stayed two nights and found the Hotel Plateau Royale to be more than we expected. Staff was generally very pleasant and informative. The complimentary breakfast, while lacking in variety or quality, was filling.

The room, #38, we had was huge. And the beds are excellent. Shower was hot and kept flowing. Room was a bit beat-up (small dents in wall & spots of peeling paint), but basically clean. Actually also had a walk-in closet. Bathroom is small but not impossible.

Location is average for city. Very close to Mont Royal Park and to athletic facilities in the Park. You can walk to downtown Montreal in about 20 minutes. And, of course, every neighborhood in Montreal, including those near the hotel, has its shops and bars.

Some interesting dining options nearby though we did not partake because we are vegetarians.
Street is busy, but our room was quiet, even though we faced the street.

We were on the 3rd floor and I would recommend requesting that floor or the 2nd - otherwise you have quite a climb.

Parking is a problem. The nearby streets are all metered or restricted for use by residents. We spent over $40 during the two days we stayed.

At first we tried to use the pay-as-you-go method using the kiosks they have on the sidewalk (very convenient and easy to use), but having to worry about running out of time proved frustrating. So, for the second night we paid $20 for a 24 hour parking spot off the alley behind the hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and I would recommend requesting that floor or the 2nd - otherwise you have...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Rachel C
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 2 September 2012

This was my worst experience ever ! No parking, no elevator (our room was on 5th floor), basic breakfast (coffee, tea, cereals, bread.. that's it!), staff "neutral", not rude but not over-polite... the sheets seemed clean enough but the room was just ok..
The only positive thing about the hotel is its location if you want to go hang out in the Park.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Aline009
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 August 2012

the hotel refused to cancel my reservation after my husband accidentally booked it. the hotel wasnt suitable for my daughter who is very sick.
the manager on the front desk said she doesnt have to listen to me and hanged up on me! the RUDEST and WORST service i have EVER received. this was on august 30th. the female manager that was on duty should be fired and NEVER work in the hospitality industry on her life AGAIN. i have worked in the hospitality industry for a number of years and I know bad service when I see it.
the hotel is a 2 star max and has extremely noisy air conditioning which is impossibly for my daughter to sleep through! Even after explaining that a CANCER patient cannot stay at this hotel they refused to cancel my reservation. which was WAY in advance.
absolutely awful experience.