“A walk through a historic neighborhood” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Making Their Mark: Montreal Jewish History Walking Tour
Ranked #6 of 23 Food & Drink in Montreal
More attraction details
Owner description: The Museum of Jewish Montreal offers guided walking tours through the historically Jewish neighbourhoods of Mile End and the Plateau in Montreal. - Taste your way through Montreal's Jewish heritage on the Beyond the Bagel tour. - Trace the evolution of Montreal's literary, musical and culinary culture on the Rabbis, Writers and Radicals tour. - Uncover past synagogues, schools, hospitals and cultural organizations on the Making Their Mark tour.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
San Antonio, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A walk through a historic neighborhood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Thirteen members of one family from the U.S. and several others took part in this Jewish walking tour. It was a grey day and we didn't quite know what to expect. We were all pleasantly surprised when two young, enthusiastic guides with umbrellas showed up to lead us through Mile End. Everyone -- from my 89-year-old mother to my teen-aged niece -- was riveted!
We all enjoyed the anecdotes and historical background they shared with us, and we got a sense of Montreal's unique Jewish history.
I especially appreciated the photographs our guides brought with them to show the people and places as they once were. (and it was smart to sleeve them in plastic covers)
The guides were quite considerate -- they gave us a brief break at a cafe to "refuel"! It proved a good stopping point for my mother, who couldn't quite keep up for 2 hours.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank Marion B

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Making Their Mark”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Even though I lived in Montreal all my life, taking a tour where I did not grow up in the Jewish. Quarter was very interesting. I saw and learned a lot about Jewish history from the early 1900's.

1 Thank Mark L
Orono, Maine
“What a way to see the city!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I'm a native Montrealer, and went on the "Making Their Mark" tour in the Plateau - in French. Fantastic, well researched, wonderfully animated tour through the old Jewish neighbourhoods around the Main. I can imagine how much fun and interesting any of MJM's tours would be for a visitor to our fair city! Must-do for all!

Brooklyn, New York
“Incredible tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I'm a native Montrealer but learned so much on the informative and entertaining tour. I took the "Rabbis, Writers, and Radicals" tour. Our guide was excellent, knew all the information about each site and also the relevant historical content. He was also very kind and charismatic. I will certainly go on the other tour "Making Their Mark" when I have time. These tours take place in neighbourhoods that are still really vibrant today, but in a very different way. The tours really take you back. Will recommend to all my friends, natives and tourists alike.

Visited August 2014
Berkeley, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Montreal history through the lens of immigrant stories”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Awesome tour with lots of fun facts.
I always love learning about cities through the lens of particular immigrant communities - Jews, Italians, Asians... They all share the same stories of struggle, perseverance, and triumph for a better life. The communities also tend to have a large influence on shaping the fabric of city life and architecture.
Highly recommend this tour for first time and seasoned visitors alike.

2 Thank nkincler