“Disapointing”

Cafe de Paris
Neighbourhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Neighbourhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The reservation staff and kitchen need to get their stories straight. Every year, my cousin and I go somewhere very special for high tea. I called ahead during the week and reserved high tea at The Ritz for my cousin and I. I need to eat gluten free due to serious food allergies and when we made the reservation we were assured they could accommodate high tea for a gluten free diet (sandwiches, scones, pastries, etc.) I figured, The Fairmont does it, so of course The Ritz could deliver as well. We drove into the city on the Saturday for our high tea (a four hour round trip). Once we got there and ordered high tea, the wait staff double checked with the kitchen that they could offer gluten free service -- of course they could NOT. All they could do was offer me some sandwiches. Very disappointing. The manager came over three times and kept asking us if there was anything he could do. My husband and I frequently go to Montreal for a weekend away, stay in a nice hotel, etc. It won't be at The Ritz. First and last time.

1  Thank MDR1000
There are newer reviews for Cafe de Paris

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Just back from a very poor experience.

We were four, celebrating my daughter's birthday at the Palm Court area of the Ritz Carlton, Montreal. The experience was far from our expectations on many many levels. The Darjeeling Tea was not hot enough and the servers, obviously, did not have any idea of how to serve tea. The cups were cold, milk was cold and the tea, itself was not hot enough.

The waiters were very polite but seemed a bit stressed and distracted to the point that we did not feel comfortable discussing our choices.

The sandwiches were dry, small, odd shaped and rather poor. We asked for another plate of sandwiches hoping against hope that the earlier plate was probably an error. The result was the same, we had to order a plate of fries to liven up the evening.

All in all the C$ 195 for 4 was a total waste of money. The hotel and attitude is pretentious and shallow. We feel robbed, of the $ 195 and our time.

The only bright part was the seating - very comfortable and the waiters were very courteous.

2  Thank Pradeep_Sagar
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This restaurant is situated on the main street as you come through the gate to the old city (66 rue Saint-Louis), so you are bound to walk by it and can check out the menu posted outside. We were attracted to the special --- chateaubriand for two for $49. That is an exceptional price for chateaubriand. It appears to be an ongoing deal as the sign promoting it is screwed into the wall. We were concerned that, for that low price, it would not be the best cut of meat. It was delightful. While prepared in the kitchen, it is brought tableside for slicing and finishing on a brazier. The vegetable selection was also excellent, and I am certain that it was no accident that my wife asked to sit next to the dessert trolley. That was very tempting (and tasty as well). The service was fast and the staff quite pleasant. The singer musician played both the accordion and the guitar and did so without intruding on the table. We would return.

Reviewed 5 March 2013

After anticipating a lovely return of their Afternoon Tea menu,
We were greatly let down.

-Serviced in the lobby.
-Made for an uncomfortable seating arrangement.
-Little variety in sandwiches and pastries.
-Frozen Pastries?
-Left tea soaking in pot, which created a bitter taste.
-radio station in the back ground, made for a weird ambiance.

In comparison to their other services,
the Afternoon Tea service simply does NOT fit in with their standards of quality.

Reviewed 28 September 2012

I was traveling with a group when the leader took us into this sweet little cafe. The display case looked like a Tooth Fairy's dream. In all fairness, it was not just Chocolate Eclairs and sticky sweet desserts. It was great coffee and for me a fantastic spinach quiche. The atmosphere was what I would imagine as France at its finest. Try this place out, you will not find it disappointing.