“To Die For, To Die For, To Die For!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Europea

Europea
Reserve with OpenTable
Europea is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 5,668 Restaurants in Montreal
Price range: US$66 - US$88
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Cross street: Sainte Catherine
Transit: Metro Peel on the green line
Description: Restaurant Europea has become an essential spot on Montreal scene, a gastronomic "rendez-vous" rich in colour and flavour. Flattered by all the gourmet critics, you will share an outstanding experience offered by the creative and modern cuisine of Chef Jerome ferrer and his 22 chefs team. (named chef of the year, restaurant of the year, "maitre cuisinier de France" An unforgetable moment in a charming Victorian mansion in the heart of downtown Montreal ...When the cuisine becomes an art!
Metro Portland ME
“To Die For, To Die For, To Die For!!”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was not a meal, but a fine dining experience! From the first contact to the time, 3 hours later, that we walked out the door, full but not stuffed, we reveled in a very fine meal.

My companion ordered the smaller tasting menu and I ordered just an appetizer and entree. However, I was treated the same as he, and got all the courses. They graciously accommodated my gluten-free needs in all courses, adjusting as necessary and assuring me with every course. After an initial delicious pre-appetizer, they brought a "lobster cappuccino", a creamy, rich lobster flavored drink in a cappuccino cup. First thing to die for!

I have let a couple of weeks go by and I'm afraid I didn't write it all down, but the courses kept coming. My foie gras appetizer was buttery and delicious. Another little gem was a piece of very rare (raw?) salmon served in a fake book box which when opened, offered a billow of sweetly smelling wood smoke! Such creative presentation! And the salmon melted in our mouths with its wood smoke patina.

Somewhere in there they served a mouth cleanser, cucumber and lime sorbet, delicious as everything else.

Our entrees were scallops for him and Surf and Turf (filet mignon & crab legs) with a wonderful sauce, Bordelaise if I am not mistaken. My bite of his scallop was devine and the filet was wonderful with the sauce.

We did not get the wine pairings, as we can only drink one glass, but each tried a good wine with dinner.

The first dessert brought was best: a passionfruit cream, very light and creamy, just enough to sweeten your tongue. Second they brought a candy tree adorned with with four big fluffs of the pinkest cotton candy, and tied with presumably handmade candies, and dried fruit lollipops. Again, so creatively presented, though our least favorite part of the meal. We would have been fine with just the passionfruit cream.

As if that all wasn't enough, they presented us with take-home packages of small vanilla cakes for him and a large meringue for me (gluten free, of course!)

During the meal we were served by two waiters, and the maître d came around to make sure we were being well cared for. The waiters were there when we needed them but they were not obsequious. Please forgive me M. Tauhiro, If I have some details wrong but I am positive I have the overall rating accurate!

We just wish we got to Montreal more often for a special meal at Restaurant Europea! We both know this is THE BEST dining experience we have had, ever!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank lspwroo
Dear Ispwroo,

A big thank you for your so well detailed comment. Every description is made with a lot of realism. Thank you to have appreciated our Surf & Turf with a 45-day-aged Filet Mignon. This meat is really incredible.

Look forward to welcoming you again,

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
“Best of the Best - nothing comes close.”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

As part of a romantic get-away (and a proposal to boot), I booked my fiancee and I a table at Europea, and had contacted the staff ahead of time to let them know of my plans.

Those who know me, know how much I enjoy fine dining: The experience, the royal treatment, the food. All of it. Europea puts any other restaurant to shame. Hands down.

The layout of the place is quite nice, with tables that are adequately spaced, and lighting that is subdued and ideal for a romantic dinner or a relaxed evening with co-workers. The staff are out-of-this-world friendly (merci Veronica! ), and the little treats between the main courses are absolutely delightful. Chef Jerome Ferrer is a master of his trade. He's also a true gentleman. He was kind enough to send our table a signed note, welcoming us, and making sure that we were enjoying our evening.

The food is amazing. For appetizers, we had the calamari (which comes in a very hefty rock bowl), and the risotto. Both dishes were incredible and the half-cooked quail egg on the calamari adds both to the taste and to the presentation.
For mains, I had the surf and turf, and my fiancee had the cornish hen. The crab legs were smothered in a delicious sauce, and the steak was premium. The cornish hen is cooked in a clay pot, which the server brings out for the diner to break using a hammer. Again, this just adds to the experience of this place.

The dessert tree (the Tree of Guilt) takes the cake (excuse the pun) for presentation. A metallic tree with cotton candy and goodies hanging from its branches. Delicious.

I have to mention the little appetizers that the servers keep bringing to the table. The winner was the Truffle Illusion, which only looks like a truffle, but tastes like -what I'm assuming- heaven.

I really cannot recommend this place highly enough. I have visited so many restaurants in Montreal, Quebec, Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver, and many more outside of Canada. This place is top of the line.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Fayez E
Dear Fayez E,

It was a privilege to serve you on Saturday, August 2nd. We are happy that the scrip you imagined for this special request passes well. As you asked to me I thanked Véronique from both of you.

All the team from Europea wishes you a lot of happiness. See you very soon!
Montreal, Canada
“Love it!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This place was absolutely amazing. From the wine selection to the atmosphere, and of course the food.. everything was perfection. I truly enjoyed the menu degustation signature. I have to say the risotto and the scallops were my favourite.. beautifully cooked, executed, sensation flavours, overall a very luxurious dining experience. I loved the whimsical and creative plating. Worth every penny!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Annie M
Dear Ban_Anna_Split,

Thank you very much to have come from Ottawa lat March to try the cooking of Jérome Ferrer. We are happy that you liked your culinary adventure as well as the Scampis Risotto.

Sincerely Yours,
Toronto
“Dissappointed!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My wife and I were seated initially at a table for 2, at the very top of the Spiral stair case on the second floor!!! We sat there for a long time and were not offered an aperatif. We still do not know if they have an open bar.We were served several amuse bouches However each time a member of the numerous staff ascended or descended the stair case, We felt that we were sitting in an "earthquake" zone!!! After several minutes, I asked to be moved!!! They were very obliging and we were moved out of the staircase area. Those seats were eventually filled! Our first courses were acceptable as were my wife's main. However my main course, Surf and turf proved to be a disaster!!! The Surf part was the smallest one piece of Alaska King Crab that I have ever had the pleasure of eating in any restaurant!! My Turf portion, which was to be, supposedly, a medium rare 6 ounce Filet, arrived as a well done piece of meat that certainly was not a Filet Mignon. When I pointed this out to our server, he was very apologetic and agreed with me, and added that the Chef must have picked out the wrong cut. When it finally was served the second time, it was Very Good!! As it should have been initially. This restaurant was highly recommended. It did NOT meet our expectations. Would we try again? No!!!

• Visited July 2014
5 Thank FabuToronto
Dear FabuToronto,

We thank you for having taken time to speak about your experience 2 weeks ago. Just to specify to the readers that our restaurant is situated in an old victorian house and that we can feel vibrations when people walk fast.

The piece of meat that you had was a 45-day-aged Filet Mignon, there was no error. The cooking was not the good one and I am really sorry for this mistake.

Sincerely Yours,
Montreal, Canada
“Unique culinary experience”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

It use to be said about Montréal that if you threw something, you would hit a Church. An updated cliché would be that you would hit a restaurant.

Europea is a unique food experience in Montréal. Multiple courses with wine pairings that are unique. If you enjoy something different, Europea is for you.

Expensive but worth it.

• Visited September 2013
Dear Pierre B,

Thank you for your feedback on your dinner in September, 2013. I'm thrilled to see that you still remember it.

Thank you also for the proverb on the city of Montreal and the new version. We love it!

Best Regards,