“very good and not expensive” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Neighbourhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Montreal, Canada
“very good and not expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

the staff is nice, french food, bring your own wine, small place with reasonable price. I've been there several time and it's been the same staff for years. That is a good sign.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

“Too many mistakes”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

I made a reservation through Internet 2 months prior to our visit. The day after, I had a voice mail offering me an other time than the one that I had requested. I then called back and left a message saying that it was fine with me. When my boyfriend called the day before our dinner to confirm, it turned out that we did not have a reservation. Bad start.

We got there at 8:30 to be told that we were expected at 7:30. I don't know where that 7:30 came from. An other mishap.

The place is tiny, nice and quiet, very cozy.

We waited a little too long before the waiter came to us and had to open our wine bottle ourselves. The bread was served with butter so cold that it was hard to spread. I had the céleri rémoulade, which was very fresh, with crispy celery root and a delicate mayonnaise dressing. Only problem is that it was way overprised. My boyfriend had the escargots au fromage de chèvre. They were fantastic. We never had escargots that tender before.

He had the magret de canard au porto. It was well-cooked with a delicious fatty, smoky undertone and a thin sauce with subtle porto aromas. I had the ris de veau au vieux vinaigre de xérès. It was our experience with thymus and we were pleased. The meat was clean tasting and tender, cut into bite-sized pieces and enveloped by a delicious sauce. The level of vinegar was perfect : it wasn't too acidic, but it had a little kick. The only problem was the LONG HAIR that did NOT belong to either of us that I had to pull out of my mouth. Eew.

After twenty minutes or so, we waved at the waiter to ask for coffee, dessert and a corkscrew for our second bottle. The crème caramel was very tasty. Surprisingly, the crème brûlée was an issue. It wasn't not evenly "brûlé" and the sugar was literally burned in some parts, tasting like chard. We've had better crème brûlée at steak houses.

Overall, Le Flambard is a decent restaurant with surprising flaws (cold butter, burned crème brûlée, miscommunication leading to reservation problems). The food is okay, but overpriced. In the very same area, you can find better French restaurants for the same price - or lower.

• Visited December 2012
“Bad food without doubt”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012 via mobile

We went a Friday night. The place is Too small, the service not good and not too cordial. But the food is the worst I hasd in Montreal in years. And I live here. On top of that the prices are in the range of those from a good restaurant. This is not a good restaurant.

Ft. Hunt, VA
“7th Visit and Still a Must for any visit to Montreal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

We always go to Le Flambard for dinner while in Montreal. It's close to the Mont Royal metro stop (a few minute walk to Rue Rachel). The staff treat you like family. The atmosphere is cozy and romantic. The candlelit dinner (we always go for one of their sumptuous price fixe) is superb. You may bring your own wine which is wonderful. We get a bottle of Masi from Le Sac, and you've got the makings of a great evening.

• Visited October 2012
Ottawa, Canada
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

The duck tournedos were grossly undercooked and stringy,lamb was correctly cookedbut bland and overall this was a disappointing experience.

• Visited February 2012