“Excellent Food, Small Portions”
Review of Verses Restaurant

Verses Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Verses Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 5,852 Restaurants in Montreal
Price range: US$19 - US$32
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Cross street: Rue St-Sulpice
Transit: Metro Place d'Armes Bus: 55
Description: Contemporary flavours on old St. Paul Street-it's refined, French-inspired and market-fresh. The intimate ambiance, accented by a working fireplace and impressive glass wine cellar, is a fixture in old Montreal. Ingredients are always locally sourced and the menu consistently boasts the freshest produce. The wine list is extensive and palatably priced. Enjoy the moment. We'll take care of the rest.
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I must admit I struggled with the rating I gave this restaurant. Let me say up front, the food was superb, but I am not a fan of "upscale" dining, I guess. With this type of dining, as much effort is spent on presentation as to food quality. I had Cobia, which I was surprised was available, because I have seldom seen this offered on a menu. It was cooked to perfection, but the portion size got lost on the plate. My wife had the Halibut, which again was perfect but small. I am not saying the portions should be the size that might be serve at your Longhorn Steakhouse, but something a bit more would be nice. The atmosphere was wonderful and the service was top-notched.

Would I go back? Maybe, now that I know what to expect. For those that enjoy an upscale dining experience (at an upscale price), this is the place to go. The price wasn't too bad, however a bit more than I would want to pay for what we got. With drinks, dinner and tip it was about $130 US.

1  Thank Fred E
There are newer reviews for Verses Restaurant

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Verses was recommended by our free Montreal tour guide and it truly was great! The service, atmosphere and food were excellent. We shared the special of rib eye for two oh my it was melt in your mouth and sooooooo gooooddddd!! We also had apps and dessert and wine and all fit perfect with everything. Highly recommend!

1  Thank ltlchristine
Reviewed 17 June 2014

What a beautiful restaurant in Old Montreal. Service was like a fine watch. Portions were a bit on the small side and a bit under seasoned but presentation was artful and the tastes were fresh and delicate. Very nice!

Reviewed 31 May 2014

My wife and I have been there with no other goal than "eating in old Montreal". We entered this crowded and noisy restaurant (a DJ was mixing and the music was definitely loud) and my expectations were low re: quality of the food and service. We had fried shrimps (decent), goat cheese with beetroots (interesting combination - worth a try), grilled salmon (good, fresh) and a Mechant Burger (I loved it!) + a cocktail (they have a good list which would satisfy one's taste), a glass of cidre de glace, a glass of 'vin parfait' from Australia - all this for C$154 including tip, which I believe it a fair price in the center of Montreal.

The only reproach would be that music was a bit too loud for a dinner, and that I changed French fries for "Poutine" - very good, but far too heavy with the burger!

Conclusion: definitely worth a try if you want to have surprising combinations in a well-decorated, casual restaurant with good modern music and good service.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were served by David, who was a pleasure to deal with. My husband and I were married at the Nelligan in 2012 and we returned for our anniversary. They treated us like royalty, and the food was delicious. We did the tasting menu with wine pairings; every course was a lovely surprise.

1  Thank MeganMontreal87