“A wonderful place to have breakfast in the Old City”
Review of Verses Bistro

Verses Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Verses Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 5,972 Restaurants in Montreal
Price range: US$18 - US$31
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Cross street: Rue St-Sulpice
Transit: Metro Place d'Armes Bus: 55
Description: Contemporary flavours on old St. Paul Street-it's refined, French-inspired and market-fresh. The intimate ambiance, accented by a working fireplace and impressive glass wine cellar, is a fixture in old Montreal. Ingredients are always locally sourced and the menu consistently boasts the freshest produce. The wine list is extensive and palatably priced. Enjoy the moment. We'll take care of the rest.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was the second time having breakfast at Verses Restaurant at Hotel Nelligan in the old city. I was served by Radwa, whose personality was genuine, friendly and customer service was very natural. The atmosphere is chill, very cool and you will feel at ease. There's nothing better in the world than strolling up Rue Saint Paul, viewing the old city and contemplating a great cup of coffee and quality food in the middle of an area rich with history. Puts everything into perspective and sets the tone for the day when you are able to eat and relax in a place like Verses.

Breakfast at many places can be, dare I say, repetitive or even carbon copies of everything else, generic and mundane. Not at Verses. Last visit, I had the Eggs Benedict, which filled me up yet left me wanting more, it was that good. This visit, I decided that I really wanted meat products just as much so I opted for the Classique, which on the surface sounds like the standard eggs, bacon, sausage, home fries and toast. What I received was clearly a creative and unique version of what we know from everywhere else. The sausage was custom made and flavourful. You will want to take your time enjoying it! The potato component was very crafty: grated potatoes and onions baked pie style until golden and sliced into wedges. The Classique comes with a choice of meats so I elected the bacon as the 2nd choice and it was smoky and delicious! And, of course, the eggs were cooked to order. Lastly, the finishing touch - beautiful melon, strawberry wedges and finely sliced ripe pineapple, all fresh and well-presented. The coffee here is probably the best cup you can have in the morning. Could drink a whole pot! Overall, Radwa saw to it that the food was okay and I was enjoying it.

The menu had several other tempting choices that called out to me and made a compelling case for consumption, like their omelette with lobster and asparagus. There are no bad choices here, friends.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Even from outside Verses Restaurant oozes class. Through the large windows to the street I can see the the sophistication of the decor of bare sand blasted brick walls and stone walls. That quality is reinforced by the charming and efficient hostess who leads me to my table. The service that follows is impeccable, as attentive, efficient yet as friendly as any I have experienced. The food is perfectly cooked artfully presented and, in my case,of judicious proportions. The cooking, in my opinion, is faultless. Nothing is precooked here, and my server told me exactly how long to expect the preparation to take. The time passed quickly with an amuse-bouche of goats’ cheese and melon, fresh ciabatta rolls and a glass of excellent Pouilly-Fuissé. I switched to an equally fine Mouton Cadet Saint Emiilon to accompany the veal, which melted in my mouth, with vegetables cooked in bone marrow. The artful desert of profiterole filled with banana ice cream and topped by dark chocolate sticks and hazelnuts contributed to one of, and perhaps, the, best meal and best service, that I have ever had. Reading the reviews, it would seem that the quality of the food depends on who is cooking that day. Maybe you take a chance by eating here; I can only report on my experience, and it was exceptional.

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Warmly welcomed for our anniversary and given free glasses of champagne and the corner table. Staff is very accommodating and attentive. Food is well presented and tasty.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I must admit I struggled with the rating I gave this restaurant. Let me say up front, the food was superb, but I am not a fan of "upscale" dining, I guess. With this type of dining, as much effort is spent on presentation as to food quality. I had Cobia, which I was surprised was available, because I have seldom seen this offered on a menu. It was cooked to perfection, but the portion size got lost on the plate. My wife had the Halibut, which again was perfect but small. I am not saying the portions should be the size that might be serve at your Longhorn Steakhouse, but something a bit more would be nice. The atmosphere was wonderful and the service was top-notched.

Would I go back? Maybe, now that I know what to expect. For those that enjoy an upscale dining experience (at an upscale price), this is the place to go. The price wasn't too bad, however a bit more than I would want to pay for what we got. With drinks, dinner and tip it was about $130 US.

1  Thank Fred E
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Verses was recommended by our free Montreal tour guide and it truly was great! The service, atmosphere and food were excellent. We shared the special of rib eye for two oh my it was melt in your mouth and sooooooo gooooddddd!! We also had apps and dessert and wine and all fit perfect with everything. Highly recommend!

1  Thank ltlchristine