“Met expectations but did not exceed them”
Review of Joe Beef

Joe Beef
Ranked #204 of 6,065 Restaurants in Montreal
Price range: US$19 - US$78
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District)
Cross street: Charlevoix
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

On my first visit to Montreal this was a mandatory dinner. You've already read the other reviews and know that this place has been considered one of the best restaurants in Canada.

Service could be considered slow. However I've learned that Montreal dining is about the experience not just getting the food asap and eating it. With that in mind I'll say that the service is excellent. Attentive without being overbearing. But the staff are there watching: if you have to excuse yourself, you're returning to a napkin that was folded while you were away. 5/5 for service.

There are no paper menus. There is a chalkboard with tiny printing. The staff will help you navigate with zero attitude.

I started with a bufala salad. It was okay. The cheese lacked flavour but the crustini bread was delicious. 3/5 for the salad.

We split the 32 oz steak. Came with bearnaise sauce (excellent) roasted potatoes and fries. All great. Steak was slightly overcooked (medium-well instead of medium-rare) which is disappointing because the server said that medium-rare is the default. I get that this sounds nitpicky but for a $100 cut of meat I expect perfection. 4/5 for the steak.

Dessert was a chocolate marble cake. Very tasty. 4/5.

Overall a good experience. I've been lucky to eat at truly exceptional restaurants and this doesn't crack my top five. But give it a try. Reservations basically necessary.

They have a house brand beer made for them. A nice hoppy brew. 4.5/5 for the beer.

The tables are too close together. But considering the prices and demand I wouldn't be taking tables out if I was them.

1  Thank notyetworldly

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Everything we tried here was amazing. Highlight for me was the fois gras double down. Well worth the trip. The salisbury bison with the bone marrow was amazing as well

1  Thank obliviot
Reviewed 13 June 2014

A cool, hip spot with an array of mixed music, chalkboard menu, and attentive and knowledgable waitstaff. Delicious snails, fried fois gras !!!!, steak frites (of course), chicken with morels. We moved to back garden for dessert. Tara-lee and Patrick were fun and very helpful!

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I have been dying to eat at Joe Beef ever since watching the Anthony Bourdain show featuring Quebec. This place does not disappoint. They had me at double down foie gras. If you don't order at least the appetizer of it, well then I don't think we can be friends .

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

My friend and I were travelling in Montreal and visited Joe Beef on a recommendation of a local. It's a small venue with an outdoor courtyard/veggie garden. Decor was great. Food was outstanding. My friend had the steak, which was huge and cooked to perfection. I had a rabbit stew, which was full of flavour and a great portion size. Cost is as you would expect for a fine dining restaurant. The place was packed and we were very lucky to get a table last minute. Consider booking ahead of time.

1  Thank AJ_King999