“Overhyped, I must say!”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Le Sud-Ouest (Southwest District)
Cross street: Charlevoix
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Tried it last year but not impressed but thought it was just me. We recently went back with a group of friends since they really insisted but all not too satisfied. I guess it's the hype of waiting a long time to get reservations that makes this tiny restaurant in high demand. We were a party of 6 and once seated we felt we were on top of each other throughout the meal. The food is just ok but the foies gras are amazing. Music was very loud & the place being small made it very difficult to have a conversation without literally yelling to be heard amongst us. Went there twice and did not live up to what other patrons noted. But I must say that maybe this place is more for the 'buzz' then anything else.

2  Thank Quintanaro
There are newer reviews for Joe Beef

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Be a pilgrim and make the trek to Joe Beef. Yes, it is worth it. The food is that good.

I also recommend that you come here with an empty stomach and an appetite. This will be a large meal (your 'appetizer' is guaranteed to be an appetizer unto itself) to linger over as slowly as possible.

We made reservations 3 months in advance for a 9:30pm dinner. Having arrived in the neighborhood a little too early, we asked at the door if we could be seated at 9pm and had no trouble getting an immediate table (a couple who showed up just before us and did not have reservations was turned away and told to try again at 9:45 - it pays to reserve a table).

Some perspective: Joe Beef has an intoxicating atmosphere that is absolutely unmatched in the matters of romance and indulgence. That being said, once night falls it becomes incredibly dark in the restaurant, which is candlelit and lovely but which also makes it near impossible to read the chalkboard menu (there is no print menu). My partner and I switched seats at one point to see if I could read the menu any better than him, with little success. Maybe this isn't the case for others, but I have poor vision at night. It's not that easy to read small cursive letters on a chalkboard in the dark. For others who may be in the same situation, don't be intimidated or too afraid to ask your waiter to just read you the menu! We did, and he was more than happy to tell us what was on the menu and make excellent, informed, adventurous recommendations on what to order.

I had the veal tongue to start and the rabbit sausage as my main course. The tongue was tender and made light and fresh with a creamy tzatziki like sauce and what I believe was thai basil. Likewise, the rabbit sausage had a deep flavor and character - every bite was juicy, and I ended up having to take it home because I just couldn't eat that much in one sitting. It came with the best french fries I've ever had. I wish I had been able to eat it all at once, though, as you can't really reheat food like this... !

My partner had the sockeye salmon as a starter. It was so massive he could barely get through it, but I wouldn't say he was complaining. It came with delicious toast, salmon roe and horseradish sauce. I was pretty jealous. I was also too busy with my rabbit sausage to try the lamb steak he ordered as a main course, but I get the feeling it wasn't underwhelming.

No dessert (no room for it!) but with the outstanding recommendations of our waiter, we enjoyed some amazing glasses of scotch and cognac.

My only regret is that my stomach wasn't bigger. Oh, and that I don't live close enough to come back again anytime soon. If you live in or near Montreal, take advantage of this treasure.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

If you're in Montreal, this is a must go to restaurant and be sure to make reservations prior or you'll be waiting in line for a bit.

Ordered the spaghetti lobster and the fish of the day, it was truly heaven. Definitely one of the best restaurants in Montreal and a short cab from the downtown core.

Will be back for seconds!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Clearly on a different level than most other restaurants. Try the foie gras double down...then maybe try it again. It's that good. Also had Lamb pappardelle, amazing. Also the rabbit sausage, was huge and delicious

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

This is the quintessential restaurant in trendy Montreal. My sister snagged a reservation weeks ahead of our trip and boy were we grateful. The restaurant was fully packed at 9.30 but we got a charming corner booth perfect for the four of us. The entire menu is hand written on a chalkboard and it was chock full of interesting items. We had the waiter explain almost every dish and he did so with enthusiasm and patience. Everything we ordered was delectable and memorable--foie gras, rabbit sausage, cote du boeuf. We brought everything home in doggie bags for second meals the next day. I highly recommend this lovely restaurant for anyone who is adventurous or if you just love meat :-)