“Best Restaurant - Quartier Latin”

Confusion Tapas du Monde
Reserve with OpenTable
Confusion Tapas du Monde is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,973 of 5,775 Restaurants in Montreal
Cross street: De Maisonneuve est
Transit: Metro Berri-Uqam
Montreal, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Restaurant - Quartier Latin”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

It's rare I give kudos to any restaurant, and on the occasion that I am impressed, I never take to the internet with my praise. In the case of Confusion, I'm simply dropping a note of recommendation based on a large eclectic menu, which at our table of vegans and carnivores, had something of interest for everyone, and the astute service of their staff, who so obviously cared about our collective experience and our enjoyment of their expertly prepared dishes. Having once resided in the neighbourhood, I can say of all the restaurants lining Saint-Denis from Sherbrooke down, Confusion is by far your best option for dining out in the area. Especially if you're catching a show at the nearby theatre, which we were not.

• Visited February 2014

Montreal, Canada
“A complete rip-off, terrible on all fronts”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

You can see from my multiple reviews that I rarely blast a restaurant completely. But this is a tourist trap, using its location to attract people coming to a theater evening and then rip them off completely.

I do not mind excessive pricing when there is some quality or innovation attached to it, and often tapas offer that type of experience. But here, they charge as if you were at Le Filets but you get quality of food that is actually below food courts. It will cost you roughly 60 dollars per guess just for the food easy, if you take the average suggested 3 tapas...we even had to add a portion of sweet potato fries (for 10 dollars more) at the end of the meal so we felt to have eaten something.

So the food. The salmon tartar served that night was tasteless...almost as we clearly could taste the fridge as this fish was left too long uncovered in the fridge or something...very happy not to have been sick. Another fish tapas of maquereau was completely disgusting, served on a tasteless and hard as rock polenta contaminated by the fish taste that was not that fresh. The stuffed calamari and the scallops were very average but at least fresh, but served with a crouton that could have been used as a baseball bat as much as it was hard. Tasteless and small portions...really, 19 dollars for 3 miniature scallops that really had nothing special except not being a total flop like the rest??? And the list goes on. The chicken could have been purchased at the local supermarket (probably was actually) and served just like that, without any work done to add any taste, no spices, no gravy of any sort, nothing. Like if the poor thing was purchased by a student low on cash.

Talking of cash, be aware that the wine pricing goes accordingly, 3 times the SAQ price, something that you only see (and not that often) in rip-off place where you go to be seen. And the waiter will tell you they are out of the specific wine by the glass you asked but will gladly find a bottle if you want to buy one! Interesting. And forget about getting any wine advice. They are either not interested or do not have a clue.

Service was also cold, and the restaurant was freezing inside (ok, it was -20 outside but people eating with their winter coat on?). The so called lava cake was burned and the ice cream was a so mini format that it looked like a kid dessert in a cheap fast food that is included with a kid meal.

When I got the bill, I was not laughing I can assure you. Even if the whole meal looked like a comedy show.

• Visited January 2014
abe h, Manager at Confusion Tapas du Monde, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear JF,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about your dining experience at Confusion Tapas.

We would like to take this opportunity to reply to the concerns you have mentioned in your review. We do not consider ourselves a “tourist trap” since our menu and prices are clearly displayed outside our front door, which demonstrates that we are not trying to “trap” anyone.

The average customer bill at Confusion is around $49 with wine. Of course, that all depends on how many dishes you actually order. The concept of the restaurant is “tapas”, so smaller portions to share. Almost everyone walks out of our restaurant satisfied and full. However, the tapas concept is not for everyone and some people enjoy having a large plate of food in front of them.

As for the price of our wines, all but 2 or 3 of our extensive wine list are from private imports so the wines (and their prices) would not be listed at the SAQ, which makes it hard to know what the mark up is (unless, of course, you are purchasing those same private imports yourself).
We would like to point out that we do not mark up our wines by an exorbitant amount, as you seem to suggest. Our prices are very competitive.

We are sorry about the temperature in the restaurant. This issue has since been resolved.

We put a lot of passion, love and professionalism into making Confusion Tapas a welcoming and delicious environment for everyone. We sincerely regret that your experience was not optimal and we would like to invite you back since we are confident that we would be able to change your mind on our establishment.

Please call Confusion and ask to speak with Abe or Elie.
East Granby, Connecticut
“Great tapas”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My husband and I came here for dinner before going to the Billy Talent concert last weekend. We learned the night before to make reservations, so I went online and did so. Be careful when booking online like this however - they sat us at the bar, because apparently even though OpenTable said there was availability, this was not the case. Luckily, the bartenders were nice and it was a relaxed atmosphere. We ordered 4 tapas to share, and they were all great. My favorite was the Salmon Tartare! Only downside were the drinks were a little skimpy..besides that, great experience!

• Visited October 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“Perfect food”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Great atmosphere - nice outdoor seating and a very friendly waiter. I recommend the Lobster Mac and Cheese and steak.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank ReeseLR
Baltimore, Maryland
“Best tapas I have ever had!”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The food here is amazing, there is no way to argue that fact. I've seen a few reviews mention the service quality being an issue, but our waiter was very attentive and always near to talk to.

I am a huge fan of tapas, and the really interesting fusion they have going on here definitely keeps things fresh. Sometimes tapas can get repetitive; not at Confusion.

A great location near the metro and in the Latin Quarter complements the restaurant well. There is a lot going on in the neighborhood, and a walk around after stuffing yourself will be necessary. Trying to figure out when to stop eating when dining here is tough - you want to try just one more plate.

• Visited August 2013