“The food is good..service is rude”
Review of Sana

Sana
Ranked #1,152 of 5,927 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi
Dining options: Delivery
Neighbourhood: Villeray-Saint-Michel-Parc-Extension
Reviewed 29 September 2012

I know this restaurant very well, i eat there at leadt once a week. The food is always very good and the service is not that much bad but there are two waiters sulling the reputation of this place with their rudness.
But still an overall nice restaurant And above all very very cheap so im sure you guys will do like me and come again and again for the nice and cheap food

1  Thank Yahamin

Reviewed 14 September 2012

Just back from getting a take-away. Noticed an error on the bill. $5 instead of the $3.99 on the window for a chicken biryani.

The manager told me it was a dollar extra because I was paying by card. I asked if this included Debit card. He said yes. I said wtf? Then he saw I only had $15 cash and said he would take that and give me a discount (It should have been $16). In the middle of discussing it, another guy arrived and tried to tell me that the first guy (the manager) had made a mistake, was new, didn't know the place very well. There never should be a dollar charge for cards. That I misunderstood what he was telling me. That the till hadn't been updated, blah blah blah.

This could be true about the till, but basically they tried to feed me a load of horse dung for excuses as to why he tried to rip me off. The manager put his nose in the air and didn't say a peep when I asked him to defend himself...

I felt like a real idiot making a stink, but seriously? Trying to do me out of a dollar. What a cheap piece of work.

I got an apology and my $1 discount to boot. It won't happen again I am assured. But will I be back there? I probably would have, as the food is OK, but not after that scene.

So, briefly, food is fine, BUT CHECK YOUR BILL

Reviewed 26 July 2012

The taste of food is great and variaety is there. The service is though below standard but proce of food and taste attracts you. We lked the sweat dish and we also bought some pakistani/indian style sweats which were of very good taste and quality. In short, it is a low cost, good quality food. Looks ideal for students. I talked to some Mcgill students and they praised the price and quality of food at Sana resaturant.

1  Thank GhulamBilal
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Granted, the staff here could definitely learn some people skills. However, in lieu of the unbelievable traffic they cater to daily, the waiters must get washed out at some point.The main thing is, it is not a high end place and they charge pittance for the excellent food and without expecting exorbitant tips of some snotty joints.
The Cuisine here is as authentic as can be and one can only know it if you come from certain regions of Pakistan.

In a nutshell, the food here is more akin to street food in some parts of the world where specialised dishes are served hot with accompaniments and the clientele is not only selective but is familiar with the texture, taste, spices etc.

For example, simple dishes like Haleem, Nihari, Quorma are just grand with the excellent fresh Naans.

6  Thank mashoud
Reviewed 2 September 2011

There are 4 Restaurants from South Asia on Jarry Street, 2 Indian and 2 Pakistani.

The 2 Pakistani restaurants are not as good but are considerably cheaper. Most dishes are about 1 to 3 dollars less than the other 2 places. Dera, the other restaurant is not as consistently good as Sana but is always packed since it's much larger and upscale for the same prices.

Sana is a hole in the wall, much better to pick up, if you eat there, prepare for lousy service and humble decor, not very clean either, but wathevs.

The great value is what keeps me coming, the chicken dishes stand out, the quality of the white meat in the dishes shows it's freshly made. I know the supplier of the vegetables to this place and they all make for a very enjoyable vegetarian dishes.

The chicken Jalfrezi is a bit too sweet for my taste, but i still mopped it up with the very large Naan bread. The have raised the price of their chicken Tikka Masala ($9) so we opted for Tikka ($7), while you don't get the creamy sauce, you enjoy the delicious chicken much more. The chicken or vegetable Byriani is only $5, not the best, but enough to feed 2 people.

Make sure you ask if the dishes are boneless though, the locals here seem to love bones in the food, sucking the marrow out of the lambs, not my style.

Overall, a very good value, you can get 2 chicken dishes, 1 vegetarian and 2 Naans for about $20. The portions to go seem to be bigger than when you eat in and the food is oilier than it should, but lordy lord do i love it like that.
Also of note is the fact they stay open till 11pm where as most Indian restos in Parc Ex close at 10.

2  Thank mustsell