“Not what it used to be”

La Campagnola
Ranked #243 of 5,778 Restaurants in Montreal
Price range: US$16 - US$40
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Quality si our first priority
“Not what it used to be”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I have been to La Campagnola many times over the past 7 years. I have always been impressed with the food and the service. Until tonight. I had not been for over a year and was surprised to see that the menu was significantly downsized. Usually a sign that the quality is that of a high-end restaurant. It is no longer the case. The caesar salad is not what it used to be, underseasoned and bland. The pasta choices are too similar; most have oil, garlic, shrimp and/or rapini. Only one risotto- a never before seen mix of flavors according to the waiter.... and there is a reason for this. The stuffed pasta I ordered was unimpressive, the tomato sauce was watery- it was probably frozen, the ricotta did not taste like it was homemade (it used to be). My boyfriend ordered a pizza; very bland. Definitely not worth the 60$ we paid, tip not included. It's a shame, this restaurant used to be phenomenal. Would never recommend anymore. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED.

• Visited October 2013
4 Thank GourmetFoodie2020

“Absolutely Delicious!!!”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Every time I go for dinner, the food and service is fantastic.Great Italian food, great ambiance and you can bring your own wine!! Highly reccommend. Staff takes great care of you and the food is delicious!!

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank yvonne-mtl
bedford
“Good Italian Restaurant”
Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

Had a chance to eat at La Campagnola after a recommendation from a friend. You'll need a reservation if you are going on a Friday or Saturday night because the place will be pack. Food is excellent and you can bring you own wine. Try Joe's special meatball as an appetizer. The place is a bit noisy and service hectic but overhaul we had a great evening supper .

1 Thank BoBoBabo
Laval, Canada
“Food Good, service horrible”
Reviewed 9 March 2013

This was our first experience at this restaurant, we had heard rave reviews and do not know if our experience was out of the norm. We had 7:00 pm reservations and did not have the food on our tables until 9:30, the service was horrible, with not all meals arriving at the same time, bread and prosciutto arriving at least an hour after our arrival, someone in our party requested a small plate of pasta for a very young child to be brought shortly after we arrived,it did not until at least 8:30.

I do not know if they had staffing problems on his particular night, however with such lousy service, which I might add they knew about because they kept saying it won't be long, I would have thought that they would have at least offered a complimentary dessert or cup of coffee, after all we were a party of 12 plus a young child.

In all fairness when the food did arrive it was very, very good, but by that time we were all annoyed and did not have much of an appetite and many of us took our food to go. A bit much for a restaurant that is not that inexpensive for what it serves.

Based on this evening I would not go back.

• Visited March 2013
“Fooled by the waiter”
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I went yesterday and was pushed by the waiter toward main meal including veal,shrimps and pasta in a creamy sauce,$32.00 the plate, I was not sure it seemed too much for me but he insisted that I would miss on something so I believed him, the veal was very nice, the shrimps overcooked, as for the pasta it was bland and the creamy sauce non existant, I should have return my plate but I was not hungry anymore at that point ,so we went for a dessert the waiter brought a nice plate to show us the assortment they had, I took a creme brulé , yes only a creme brulé, what was not my surprise when the bill came it was $12,00, in all it costed for two $120.00 + tip no wine included, its a bring your own wine, next time I want to pay such a price I will go to a very renowned restaurant where I will not be dissapointed and pay about the same price. I will never set foot in that restaurant again. In my opinion this restautant is a real rip off.

• Visited February 2013