“Would you like to go to Italy…just for the evening?”
Review of La Campagnola

La Campagnola
Ranked #323 of 5,890 Restaurants in Montreal
Price range: US$16 - US$40
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Quality si our first priority
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This small restaurant well concealed in a strip mall along a small commercial street proved to be quite an authentic and true Italian osteria. As I parked my car down the street, a wonderful smell of garlic led me straight to their door on a dark and cold evening. If CHANEL ever decides to create the “Garlic Nr.5” perfume, they absolutely must consult with these people! We had reservations so we were immediately led to our table by a smiling and kind hostess that took care of us for the rest of the evening. She assisted us in selecting from the menu and her recommendations were right on the mark. I had the stuffed meatball as an appetizer (after reading in previous reviews that the “italiani” from Toronto and New York take some home when passing through town). It was truly divine. The accompanying homemade tomato sauce was one of the best I ever had. Anyone can claim great chef skills when cooking with foie gras, truffles and champagne nevertheless, to make simple stuff like tomato sauce so wonderfully rich in taste, refined in texture and appealing to the eye takes a true Master. I followed with a Risotto with Gorgonzola and homemade sausage. Another perfect dish. So perfect that I will have a tough time ordering something else the next time around. Many items on the menu are homemade including cold cuts, another way in which this osteria distinguishes itself in front of a highly demanding Montreal clientele. I ordered the cannoli for desert. Needless to say that my reaction after the first byte was “I should have started with the desert”. Last, but not least, the espresso ristretto was absolutely perfect too, and a true ristretto. The place was full in the middle of the week and the teamwork of the crew made them both highly effective and efficient. By the way, this is a BYOW establishment (“Bring Your Own Wife” - while some people chose the “Wine” vs. “Wife” interpretation for the “W”, I chose both!). We ended up having an unexpected blast of an evening, one of the greatest Italian dining experiences outside of Italy. High Authenticity, Quality and Service best summarize our experience. We shall definitely return.

1  Thank Tony N

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I have been to La Campagnola many times over the past 7 years. I have always been impressed with the food and the service. Until tonight. I had not been for over a year and was surprised to see that the menu was significantly downsized. Usually a sign that the quality is that of a high-end restaurant. It is no longer the case. The caesar salad is not what it used to be, underseasoned and bland. The pasta choices are too similar; most have oil, garlic, shrimp and/or rapini. Only one risotto- a never before seen mix of flavors according to the waiter.... and there is a reason for this. The stuffed pasta I ordered was unimpressive, the tomato sauce was watery- it was probably frozen, the ricotta did not taste like it was homemade (it used to be). My boyfriend ordered a pizza; very bland. Definitely not worth the 60$ we paid, tip not included. It's a shame, this restaurant used to be phenomenal. Would never recommend anymore. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED.

4  Thank GourmetFoodie2020
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Every time I go for dinner, the food and service is fantastic.Great Italian food, great ambiance and you can bring your own wine!! Highly reccommend. Staff takes great care of you and the food is delicious!!

2  Thank yvonne-mtl
Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

Had a chance to eat at La Campagnola after a recommendation from a friend. You'll need a reservation if you are going on a Friday or Saturday night because the place will be pack. Food is excellent and you can bring you own wine. Try Joe's special meatball as an appetizer. The place is a bit noisy and service hectic but overhaul we had a great evening supper .

1  Thank BoBoBabo
Reviewed 9 March 2013

This was our first experience at this restaurant, we had heard rave reviews and do not know if our experience was out of the norm. We had 7:00 pm reservations and did not have the food on our tables until 9:30, the service was horrible, with not all meals arriving at the same time, bread and prosciutto arriving at least an hour after our arrival, someone in our party requested a small plate of pasta for a very young child to be brought shortly after we arrived,it did not until at least 8:30.

I do not know if they had staffing problems on his particular night, however with such lousy service, which I might add they knew about because they kept saying it won't be long, I would have thought that they would have at least offered a complimentary dessert or cup of coffee, after all we were a party of 12 plus a young child.

In all fairness when the food did arrive it was very, very good, but by that time we were all annoyed and did not have much of an appetite and many of us took our food to go. A bit much for a restaurant that is not that inexpensive for what it serves.

Based on this evening I would not go back.