“2nd visit even better”
Review of La Campagnola

La Campagnola
Ranked #198 of 5,712 Restaurants in Montreal
Price range: US$15 - US$37
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Quality si our first priority
“2nd visit even better”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

No, it was no "mistake" the first time around. This is the most authentic, pleasant, friendly, high quality Italian trattoria dining experience that I experienced this side of the Atlantic. Complete with the background noise, continuous flow of tantalizing plates coming from the kitchen crossing in traffic with customers and staff on the move in narrow passages that somehow miraculously never collide. The aroma trails leading to the kitchen instantly make one very hungry and complicate the menu selection. Forget what I planned to order tonight! What was on that plate that just flew by me? I ended up ordering the lamb shank with a Porto glaze, the truly best I ever had. The crème brulee desert was equally outstanding and so was the Ristretto. The arugula entree was very good, but rather common. The chef may want to work a bit more on the "first impression effect" for an otherwise excellent meal. The service was outstanding on a very busy Friday night. We had full attention from the owners that pro-actively lead their troops by being a living model of what a perfect host must be like. Our friends that were at their first visit were equally impressed. I regret to read that other reviewers had somewhat of a less than great experience. I respect their opinions, yet invite them to give this place another chance. I am convinced that they will no longer be disappointed.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Tony N

Montreal, Canada
“Would you like to go to Italy…just for the evening?”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This small restaurant well concealed in a strip mall along a small commercial street proved to be quite an authentic and true Italian osteria. As I parked my car down the street, a wonderful smell of garlic led me straight to their door on a dark and cold evening. If CHANEL ever decides to create the “Garlic Nr.5” perfume, they absolutely must consult with these people! We had reservations so we were immediately led to our table by a smiling and kind hostess that took care of us for the rest of the evening. She assisted us in selecting from the menu and her recommendations were right on the mark. I had the stuffed meatball as an appetizer (after reading in previous reviews that the “italiani” from Toronto and New York take some home when passing through town). It was truly divine. The accompanying homemade tomato sauce was one of the best I ever had. Anyone can claim great chef skills when cooking with foie gras, truffles and champagne nevertheless, to make simple stuff like tomato sauce so wonderfully rich in taste, refined in texture and appealing to the eye takes a true Master. I followed with a Risotto with Gorgonzola and homemade sausage. Another perfect dish. So perfect that I will have a tough time ordering something else the next time around. Many items on the menu are homemade including cold cuts, another way in which this osteria distinguishes itself in front of a highly demanding Montreal clientele. I ordered the cannoli for desert. Needless to say that my reaction after the first byte was “I should have started with the desert”. Last, but not least, the espresso ristretto was absolutely perfect too, and a true ristretto. The place was full in the middle of the week and the teamwork of the crew made them both highly effective and efficient. By the way, this is a BYOW establishment (“Bring Your Own Wife” - while some people chose the “Wine” vs. “Wife” interpretation for the “W”, I chose both!). We ended up having an unexpected blast of an evening, one of the greatest Italian dining experiences outside of Italy. High Authenticity, Quality and Service best summarize our experience. We shall definitely return.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Tony N
Montreal, Canada
“Not what it used to be”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I have been to La Campagnola many times over the past 7 years. I have always been impressed with the food and the service. Until tonight. I had not been for over a year and was surprised to see that the menu was significantly downsized. Usually a sign that the quality is that of a high-end restaurant. It is no longer the case. The caesar salad is not what it used to be, underseasoned and bland. The pasta choices are too similar; most have oil, garlic, shrimp and/or rapini. Only one risotto- a never before seen mix of flavors according to the waiter.... and there is a reason for this. The stuffed pasta I ordered was unimpressive, the tomato sauce was watery- it was probably frozen, the ricotta did not taste like it was homemade (it used to be). My boyfriend ordered a pizza; very bland. Definitely not worth the 60$ we paid, tip not included. It's a shame, this restaurant used to be phenomenal. Would never recommend anymore. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED.

• Visited October 2013
4 Thank GourmetFoodie2020
“Absolutely Delicious!!!”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Every time I go for dinner, the food and service is fantastic.Great Italian food, great ambiance and you can bring your own wine!! Highly reccommend. Staff takes great care of you and the food is delicious!!

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank yvonne-mtl
bedford
“Good Italian Restaurant”
Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

Had a chance to eat at La Campagnola after a recommendation from a friend. You'll need a reservation if you are going on a Friday or Saturday night because the place will be pack. Food is excellent and you can bring you own wine. Try Joe's special meatball as an appetizer. The place is a bit noisy and service hectic but overhaul we had a great evening supper .

1 Thank BoBoBabo