“Very good location, helpful staff, good quality/price”

Hotel Manoir Charest
Ranked #109 of 120 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 February 2013

We arrived on location very easily. In the center of downtown Quebec, very close to the historic and upper town areas. Access to the ongoing wonter carnaval was simple, and walkable! Parking was also provided, and continental was included. Staff was nice and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed 11 October 2012

The photos for this hotel are laughable! Think more sad flophouse than thrifty/cozy.

Everything in our room was covered in a fine layer of dust. We had to pull furniture away from the wall to find a plug for our cell phones. No remote for the TV or drain stop in the sink. The furniture looked like it came from a Goodwill, and more in a curbside-after-dorm-room-exodus kind of way than in a cute, kitschy way. Even our curtain rod was broken so that the curtain dangled sadly in the middle of the window, allowing the streetlights direct access to our sleeping faces.

Breakfast was (admittedly good) bread and rotten, shriveled fruit that looked like it had been purchased weeks ago.

We opted for the shared bathroom to save money. We shared this hair-covered, mildewed bathroom with at least 7 people on our floor. After taxes, two nights came to $287. Next time we'll spring for the extra 40 dollars or so to stay in a less insultingly crappy place.

I will say that the young lady working the front desk was lovely, friendly and sweet.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MEwood_11
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I stayed two nights at this hotel and I only have good comments about it. The staff was nice and fun and they answer every question I had with a great interrest! The room was neat and the breakfast was excellent! I would recommand this hotel anytime!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I stayed here in room 10 from September 7th - 9th 2012 and had a fine time until the day we checked out. Around 12 bed bug bites appeared on the back of my neck and on my hand soon after checking out of the hotel. I emailed hotel management the next day to let them know, and to request a refund on our stay but have not heard anything from them. DO NOT STAY HERE, I AM ITCHY AND SWOLLEN and am now having to do extraneous loads of laundry in order to ease my mind that I did not bring them back with me. I also threw away a good suitcase.

Room Tip: Don't stay in any of the rooms, you will be ravaged by bed bugs and not compensated afterward fo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zee_106
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights during a three-week trip trough Eastern Canada. Thus, we have received a good idea about the general price level and about what you can expect in terms of service/comfort etc at which price level. We paid around $120/night for a double room at this hotel which was one of the more expensive stays on our trip, also considering that this hotel is also not really central (a 20 minute walk to the old city center).
For this price we received a dark hotel room with worn furniture and questionable cleanness - most of the rooms at B&Bs we stayed in were actually cleaner and nicer. The service was ok but not spectacular, although we had made a pre-reservation we were asked to settle the bill immediately upon arrival, with our car open, backpacks on the back etc.
Since the room was directly across from the reception, it was quite loud at night. The breakfast consisted of simple toast with peanut butter/jam, fruits & cereal, which is not so bad, although again you can expect more at this price. Furthermore, when we arrived at the breakfast room at 9:40 the second day, there was neither cutlery nor toast available anymore, the coffee was cold and no one was to be seen that this could be addressed to.
Again, if I go to a cheap hotel I cannot expect much. This, however is not a cheap hotel. For anybody coming to Quebec who consider spending the kind of money quoted above we would advice to look for a B&B in the town center where you will most likely find a clean room with a full breakfast at arm's length to all major sights.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 14 and 15.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Entry to this hotel really emphasised the overall quality of the accommodation and should have warned us...........unkempt and dirty! We have spent the last 8 weeks travelling America and Canada and can honestly say this accommodation was at the bottom of the quality list, but was also the second highest in dollars we had paid. On the first floor the room was terribly dusty resulting in severe hayfever and an allergy attack for my wife. The bedding consisted of clean sheets and one single bed blanket (maybe army surplus). Other than at check in no staff could be found. The continental breakfast was substandard with milk for cereal requiring the opening of a dozen sachets, no hot water and stale bread. Stairway grab rails consisted of half inch water pipe and door handles hanging off room on first floor. We read many reviews as we travel and realise only the good ones are printed but we truly hope this one is printed for all to see as there is no exaggeration in our review......the place was a dump!Additionally we booked through a tourist information centre in Quebec and although we dont know who made the error, the hotel could not produce our booking despite our confirmation number and so difficult to lay blame. The staff on duty had to 'juggle' things in order to accommodate us....wish we had asked to see the room as we would have said dont bother we are out of here for the $$.
The Aussie Travellers

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dale T
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Hotel Manoir Charest was a wonderul place to spend a night. Their staff is very friendly and warm hearted, they offer sparkly clean rooms and bathrooms, the down duvet bedding was fabulous, and they prepared a wonderful continental breakfast. It was a great plus that they also had room to store my bike and they also helped me bring it up and down the stairs to the storage area. This hotel was a treat that far exceeded my original expectations considering the reasonable rates. I will definitely be back! :)

Room Tip: Choosing a suite with a shared bathroom is the best way to go if you are sticking to a budget becaus...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends