“Top Notch Decor, Good Price, Average Hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Quebec City (Sainte-Foy)
Ranked #25 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Atlanta, Georgia
“Top Notch Decor, Good Price, Average Hotel”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

If you're looking for a reasonably priced hotel with nice decor, basic amenities, and freeway access, this is a pretty good hotel. I am struggling though to come up with an over-the-top review as it just doesn't make me want to exude joy. Let me try to break this down.

Decor - Pros

I found the decor of the hotel lobby and rooms to be above average. The style is very modern and some things got my attention. The bathroom immediately looked gorgeous to me with a big basin-like sink, beautiful tile that almost looked like bamboo, and modern faucets. The hotel room floor was not carpeted but had laminate wood flooring. The furniture itself was modern, almost minimalistic; efficient, not bulky, and "clean" looking. I cannot lie - I was very impressed when I first walked in. I have since taken pics and shared them here.

Decor - Cons

However, USING the amenities within the room itself changed some of my reaction. The floors were LOUD - my own walking, but especially the walking of my neighbors. I get it with the snow and such, it makes sense to not have carpet. But it DID negatively affect my sleeping experience. They were also COLD. Then the beautiful bathroom! The counter was low, and I am not that tall at 5'6". I found it to be uncomfortable. The bathroom lighting was very cool, but did NOT offer usable light! Instead of having lights on the wall with the mirror, they are ABOVE the bathroom and are halogen lights. Putting on my makeup was nearly impossible as it shone down and my face was pretty much in shadow. And, a topic in almost every post I make........the room itself was pretty worthless when it came to outlets. The only usable outlet that was reasonable to access was on the desk lamp. This was NOT near the bed, so for those who use your cell phone as an alarm clock, be prepared to have to trek across the room when it goes off. If you have need of more than 2 outlets, you're pretty much out of luck. I find this amazingly frustrating and very much a lack of planning for such an established hotel chain.

Free Breakfast - Pros

The seating area of the hotel was large, had many tables, and during "rush hour" the staff were excellent at getting more food out, cleaning and clearing tables, and such. The food offering was basic - scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, dry cereal, toast, pancake machine. Oh, I missed an important part - TATER TOTS! I am not going to lie.....I loved those and felt a bit like a kid when I saw them.

Free Breakfast - Cons

Eggs were cold every. Single. Day. Not even warm. Not even sort of warm. Cold.The area where you get the food was small and hard to navigate if there was more than 3 people in it, and every morning I was there, there were usually 7-8 bumping and fighting for their place on the floor. Add the plates we were bound to be carrying and it did get awkward. To add trouble, the trash cans are situated in the cabinet/island where some of the food is, so fighting to throw your trash away while the others are fighting to get their food was.......interesting.

Check in Process - Pros

We arrived late - close to 11pm - and the night staff consisted of one person at the counter when we arrived, which was a little disappointing. However, said staff was efficient, friendly, and helpful. There were four of us checking in and the process was very fast.

Check in Process - Cons

As a "frequent stay member", I am used to getting SOMETHING when I check in. What I really wanted was water. I got zilch, nada, nothing. I shrugged that off and thought I was maybe being a bit snobbish until I got to my room. I walked in, entered the room, and immediately felt the cold chill of a freezing room. Knowing this was not my first rodeo, I proceeded to turn the thermostat up (which - pro - had a quick toggle to Fahrenheit for my USA mind). I could tell immediately nothing happened. Was the heater working? I noticed a setting for "auto fan" and "fan on" and though I'd try just turning it on. Nothing happened. I walked to the wall unit (this was on the ground floor) to confirm this wasn't just a very quiet system, and NOTHING was happening except me shivering. I hadn't even removed my jacket and I was cold. So I immediately called the front desk, which I had left less than 5 minutes before. This time a different person answered, and although he was "pleasant", when I explained the situation, he wanted to send maintenance to check things out. I was tired, however, and wanted to just sleep and asked if I could just have a new room. He asked for a few minutes, I clarified what that meant, and he said "two minutes". I hung up, kept messing with the thermostat, and decided no.......I was too tired for this! I pulled my luggage and backpack, headed to the door, and yes two minutes later a knock on my door. It was the man from the front desk here to check out the heater. He informed me that he had looked at the system and determined my heater WAS working. I looked at him, said "does this room feel warm to you?" and proceeded to nicely ask for a new room. There was a bit of a push to discuss how the heater was working, but after a short time he took my keys, we went the small walk to the front desk and he assigned the new room. What irked me, however, in doing so he kept insisting that the heater was working, which translated to me that I was dumb or something. I am not sure that was even necessary, though technically I got what I wanted and the new room heater DID work and I was comfortable, which was good since it was below zero degrees Fahrenheit that night.

Wow, that was longer than I expected - sorry!

Misc - Pros

The lobby has a cool fireplace that gives off some nice heat on cold days. The room in general seem to have been quiet except for the mentioned hard flooring walking. The room was very clean. Free internet with a password and the connection was mostly reasonable. There were a few blips of slowness here and there, but nothing irritating.

Misc - Cons

I did hear someone somewhere using the bathroom and I would say that was unpleasant. There is construction going on, which is clearly displayed as a warning in the lobby, but it was interesting to hear banging on pipes or something before 7am. So be prepared to hear that if you stay here at least at this time. The "free pen" to use to take notes on the desk is actually a pencil, and at least in my room it was not sharpened so was worthless. The rooms were a little smaller than other places I've stayed recently, and I would not recommend the two queen room for more than 2 people. But it was not crazy small.

Overall, if your #1 goal is a fairly good night of sleep at a reasonable price, this is a great place to stay. If you have need for more function, you might be a bit frustrated. I am fairly certain that I will find different accommodations when next in Quebec.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Quebec City (Sainte-Foy), responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear gmdimples33,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the layout of the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Korean first
Montreal
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Quebec City for 2 nights during New years eve of this year. The room was very nice and clean and service at the front desk was excellent in the day, but very limited at night. I say limited because the 1st night I was there I arrived late after celebrating the New Year with friends and found the sheets on my bed too short. I'm 6 feet 4 and the sheets would not even cover my shoulders. So I went down to the front desk and explained my problem. The lady at the reception looked at me as if I was bothering her. However she said she would take care of it.I went back to my room expecting someone from the hotel to come up and change the sheets. I waited almost 15 minutes and nobody came. So I went back down stairs to see what was going on. The lady saw me and just handed me a pile of new sheets. In other words (you take care of it yourself.I can't be bothered). Not a very good way to make a good impression. After reading some of the reviews here I thought I was going to get a good breakfast. Breakfast here is average at best. Only scrambled eggs available in a bin. Store bought commercial mini croissants. Machine made pancakes.It was exactly the same for the 2 nights I stayed there. I wondered what all the fuss was about,I have had better breakfasts in smaller hotels than this one. No indoor parking here was a killer too as it was -30 outside. I expected more from this hotel. E. Brown. Montreal

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank manny2001ca
HIExpressQuebec, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Quebec City (Sainte-Foy), responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Manny2001,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. I know it takes a lot of time to do this and it's appreciated. I'm delighted to read about the positive comments on our rooms and our staff. I'm very sorry to read that you experienced an issue with our night auditor concerning the linen in your bed. Indeed, the auditor is the only person working at night, therefore, it will be our pleasure to send housekeeping during the day.

I truly hope that you will travel back to Quebec City in a near future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I have stayed in this hotel several times and feel moved to congratulate the owners on having such very pleasant and super friendly front desk staff! The room is clean and comfortable and even the house-keeping maids are cheerful and greet you when passing in the corridors. The complimentary fully-cooked breakfast is fabulous with plenty of variety and quickly replenished. I see they are building a new wing on the hotel and can only imagine this is as a result of running the place so well. Keep up the good work!
Skip Connett, Thornhill, Ontario

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
HIExpressQuebec, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Quebec City (Sainte-Foy), responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Skip,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor, it is greatly appreciated. We are very happy to read all your positive comments about our property and employees. I truly hope that you will travel back to Quebec City in a near future and come visit us again!

Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Canada
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed at Holiday Inn Express Québec last December and I enjoyed it!. Nice, modern, clean room. Very comfortable beds and pillows. Enjoyed breakfast in the morning! Personnel was attentive to my needs. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
HIExpressQuebec, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Quebec City (Sainte-Foy), responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear JocelynR,

Thank you for your excellent review! We are very pleased to read your positive comments regarding the hotel accomodation and our staff. It is great customers like yourself that provide thorough feedback.

Winfield, Illinois
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Excellent staff. Very friendly. Comfortable rooms. Stayed there after our cruise. We had to stay an extra day in order to get our flight(award ticket) home the next day. There was a large shopping center withing walking distance. We walked there but took a taxi back(it was raining)

Room Tip: Great for a pre or post cruise hotel. About a 25-30 min taxi ride to cruise terminal
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Sandon,

Thank you very much for your great review. We are thrilled you enjoyed your overall experience. Quebec is a great city to visit.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Our stay was short (less than 20 hours) but memorable. The bedrooms are spacious and well appointed. Staff is very accommodating. We needed additional towels in the morning for showers, and in no time a room attendant delivered them.It was the Holiday Season and the hotel was very busy with families coming to visit relatives and enjoy the great shopping near by. What surprised me the most is how quiet it was at night with the volume of guests in the hotel. We all enjoyed a good night sleep.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
HIExpressQuebec, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Quebec City (Sainte-Foy), responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear MFBergeron,

Thank you so much for your excellent review on our hotel. It was wonderful to read your positive comments regarding the hotel accomodation and our staff. It is great customers like yourself that provide thorough feedback.

Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This hotel was in a great location near shopping centres and restaurants and just off the highway after leaving the downtown area. Rooms were very clean and comfortable and decorated so well. The pool was outdoors which was great in the sun. Pool was a little small, but more than adequate. The breakfast area was nice and the food was fresh and hot. Loved the staff and breakfast attendant.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
HIExpressQuebec, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Quebec City (Sainte-Foy), responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear JardindeMichelle,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. It is greatly appreciated and we want to thank you for taking of your time. We are very happy to read all your positive comments about our property and employees. I truly hope that you will travel back to Quebec City in a near future and come visit us again!