We stayed two nights at this hotel for our anniversary weekend. After looking at many reviews, we decided to go with Hotel Port-Royal. We were so happy with our choice - the hotel is in a wonderful location - close enough walk to old town, also close to bus stops, close to the port and farmers market. We walked easily to Chateau Frontenac and also to shops on Rue St Jean which is just a bit farther. These walks have some uphill climbs, but were very easy to navigate and streets are lined with nice shops and restaurants. The Ecolobus is $1 per trip and stops within a block of the hotel and can take you right into Old Town. Wonderful location overall.
The hotel from the outside is in a safe area, right on the border of old Quebec with a beautiful fountain and cobblestone plaza in front. Our room was amazing - room 105 - it's a corner suite room (might have more windows than a non-corner) and looked right out onto the beautiful plaza. Wood floors, high ceilings, old stone walls and wooden ceiling beams, refrigerator with stove and kitchen essentials (wine opener, glasses, pans) center bar island. The bed was very comfortable and clean, as was the entire space. The windows and stone wall added a lot of character and wonderful light. Nice sized bathroom with spacious tub. Since we were on the second level of the hotel, there was a bit of noise. During the day, the street noise was sort of enjoyable...later in the evening, it can be less enjoyable as it is from the bar below rather than people walking around the plaza and cafes, etc. To get a little less noise, maybe you would prefer a room on an upper floor - overall, the noise did not pose a problem at all to us, it was one of our most favorite rooms we have ever stayed - loaded with character, spacious and clean.
Parking is $15/day and "valet" - no one really comes out to greet you (at least at 8pm), so we inquired at the front desk, and were told to leave the keys on the car although it wasn't in a space (the hotel lot was full) and they would move it to an adjacent lot. The valet and hotel receptionist were very friendly about this and all other matters.
The only reason we gave 4 instead of 5 stars was based on our experience at the two hotel bars on the main level. The terraces look so inviting, but as we came back from dinner to have a nightcap at these two bars, we just were not satisfied. The bars are manned by very young people, pours are very, very small. Xo lounge was relatively quieter with a nice jazz duo playing, but still, small pours and very inexperienced bartenders....the other attached bar was loud, trying to be too trendy, servers were attentive but not helpful and definitely not personal (we sat at the bar in both). So we say, skip both of these, save some money and spend it on a nice bottle of wine or make a cocktail up in your own amazing room.
We fully recommend this hotel - you will not be disappointed!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This modern Old Quebec hotel is a 5-minute walk from the Notre Dame de Quebec Cathedral and 2 blocks from the Museum of Civilization. It features on-site dining. A full kitchen with oven, stovetop, and refrigerator is part of each suite at Hotel Port-Royal. Hardwood in all the suites. The living area is furnished with a sofa and cable TV. Free Wi-Fi is provided. In the morning, guests can have elaborated continental breakfast at the Pub du Vieux port or delivered to their room if requested. The contemporary Pub du Vieux port boasts stone walls and plenty of seating. The Citadelle of Quebec is within a 15-minute walk of the Port-Royal Hotel. The shore of the Saint Lawrence River is only 1 block away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your L'Hotel Port-Royal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Port-Royal Quebec City
- L'Hotel Port-Royal Quebec/Quebec City