“ok but not more than that”
Review of Maison Marocaine

Maison Marocaine
Ranked #331 of 1,525 Restaurants in Quebec City
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Moroccan
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown Quebec City
Description: Moroccan restaurant Moroccan cuisine in Quebec, couscous, tajine, kebabs, merguez Typically Moroccan
Reviewed 24 April 2014

we decided to try the restaurant based on reviews on tripadvisor. in the alley there was music gave us a good impression, when we entered all i could smell was old oil they need better ventilation, we were seated by a waiter? it was hard to tell he was dressed very casual, menu was limited but enough choices and prices were good compared to other restaurants in the area. my wife ordered the lamb with prunes tagine and I ordered the lamb couscous. we asked about wine choices we were told there is only two wines available, both Moroccan, we tried the one recommended on the menu.we asked for a side of rice as the Tangine did not come with couscous or rice. when the meals came the tangine had a very small amount of lamb but lots of carrots and turnips same with my lamb couscous not sure they have turnips in Morocco, it was filler vegetables. taste was OK did not taste much cinnamon or cumin or allspice , my wife found the Tangine a bit greasy . overall it was disappointing, not bad but not to what I have had in other Moroccan restaurants, service was also an issue, my wife speaks English only I am bilingual, our server made no effort to speak English until the end of our meal (yes he spoke just fine) he spent much of his time on his cell phone at the bar we had to wait until he looked up to get his attention. we would not go back.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

When the four of us arrived at 7:30 PM, there were only two other tables occupied. Once these diners left, we were alone...on a Saturday evening ! That should have tipped us off as to the quality. The food did not have the spices normally found in Moroccan dishes, My wife had the lamb tajine. The "meat" was mostly fat and bones. My couscous was accompanied by three tasteless merguez. The zucchini slices were uncooked. The dishes were covered by an overabundance of carrots. As to the service, it was non-existent. The other tip-off should have been the fact that as we arrived, the young man who turned out to be the server was sitting outside, smoking, instead of attending to what customers there were might need inside. When the time came, I had to go fetch him to ask for desserts ( baklava only) and mint tea. Once the server had taken our orders and served them, he never came again to find out if everything was OK or if we needed anything. At one point, both the server and the cook stepped outside, possibly to discuss the future of the restaurant. If you look for Moroccan cuisine in Quebec, this is not the place.

1  Thank Figaro12
Reviewed 2 September 2013

So it was labor day and my sister and I felt like having good couscous. So we decided to google some Moroccan restaurants in Quebec city. Luckily for us, we came across this wonderful restaurant called la Maison Marocaine. The food was excellent and we got value for my man's money ;). We all came out satisfy and full.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

The restaurant found down a dimly-lit alley, very reminiscent of Morocco, as is the decor. Unlike some recent reviews we thoroughly enjoyed our meal and it was typical Moroccan from our experience there. The Chicken & Olive Tagine and the Lamb Couscous were tasty and distinctive dishes. The lamb was delicious and as tender as I've ever eaten.

Other reviews complain about small portions of meat and large amounts of veg. We'd agree meat proportions were not over-generous but again quite typical of meals we've eaten in Morocco and this is an inexpensive place to eat!

We were delighted to find this place and its tasty, good-value cuisine.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

The lamb tajine tasted exactly like a beef stew and the dish was 90% boiled carrots and there was almost 2-3 BITES of meat (lamb?). 17$

The lamb kebab tasted exactly like beef. The dish was served with taboule, rice and boiled carrots. 15$

After taking a few bites of each dish we went up to the waiter and said politely we believed they served us beef. The cook came out swearing out the kitchen telling us we didn't know what we were talking about and even if we didn't eat our meals said we needed to pay. He even came out the kitchen and showed me a piece of lamb.

We would have preferred some explanations instead of getting yelled at.

After all this madness we wouldn't finish our dish anyway and just wanted to leave this place.

Do yourself a favor and keep your loved ones far away from this scam.

2  Thank J J