“Worst hostel experience of my life!”

La Belle Planete Downtown Quebec Hostel
Canada
“Worst hostel experience of my life!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

After several years of extensive travelling, I can easily say that this is the worst hostel I've ever stayed at. Worst part was the price, which went from $70 for a single room (no a/c or air circulation) to $110 for the summer music festival. On top of that, they charge extra for second guests, meaning I stupidly paid $145/night for a single room when my girlfriend came to town. (By contrast, I got a full suite at Quality Suites for a total of $89/night from ----------.) The manager, Steve, told me that they boost the prices because of supply and demand, though he openly criticized the owner, Pierre, for raising prices too much. I think Steve is bi-polar - he was friendly at times, though at other times was a complete jerk and a total rules Nazi. He will lecture you on the most minor stuff, and is always there keeping a close eye on things. When I checked out late (after getting Steve's permission to do so), after staying there for 9 days and paying exorbitant prices, he started yelling at me and slamming cupboard doors. My girlfriend and I were seriously concerned for our safety. T

The location isn't bad but isn't great - it's near some restaurants and pubs, but it's a 15-20 minute walk uphill from downtown. The rooms are very hot and pillows are uncomfortable. Good luck trying to get any sleep, esp. if you're in one of the dorms facing the sketchy bar across the street. The place is dirty and the couches are covered in hair from the owner's dog. The fridge is filled with rotting food. I would highly recommend the other main Quebec City hostel, which I stayed at a few years ago and had a great time at - but if you can't get in there, consider booking on - or stay--------ing at pretty much anywhere else with 4 walls and a roof because Auberge Jeunesse La Belle Planet Backpacker is absolutely horrible.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GoatsCanada

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2010

The staff in this hostel are very friendly and helpful, taking the time when I arrived to give me a tour, map and talk me through some of Quebec's highlights. The free Wifi is also a definite plus.

However, I stayed in a private room because it was my first night in Canada, so thought I'd need the peace to sort out my jetlag. I would have to say the private rooms aren't great value for a solo traveller, probably as they are meant to hold at least 3 people. Having stayed there now, I think I could have got something with better facilities (such as ensuite) elsewhere for the same money. Also, I had a front facing room and there is a very loud bar just across the street.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Tampere, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2009

We stayed in a private 4-bed room (appartment) in a different building than the dorms are. Beds were ok, a bit noisy and sweaty since the mattresses and pillows were plastic-covered. As we were 2 couples, the bunkbeds were bit of a bummer. Floors were dirtyish, I didn't want to be without flip-flops.
I feel it was a bit pricey since we stayed in cheaper, cleaner and better equipped (tv, ac) hotels in Montreal and Toronto during the same trip.
But all in all, the location was great (a grocery store open every day 'til 11PM just around the corner), staff nice, free internet in main hostel and fully equipped kitchen. We came by car, it was an easy drive and public parking was close.
Not too bad.